Tatsuki Machida | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

jimeonji

Final Flight
According to this article, Tatsuki has been practicing 4Lz and 4-4 this summer but won't include any of them in competition. He's also focused on polishing his current technique and the expression and maturity of the programs.
http://mainichi.jp/sports/news/20141021k0000e050189000c.html
thank you for the info. I took a look at the article without running it through translate and saw 4-4 and got really confused. It seems that he is still pushing himself technically despite being on the older side. He definitely has a very strong desire to win - and I hope he does! I hope he makes this season his season.

ioanna

Record Breaker
A longer program talking about Machida's upcoming season :yes:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k66WtFzTYeJaQB97wGo

Here's a summary of this program, translated by rosewood of FSU

Narrator: Machida says that something new is waiting for him in book stores.
Machida(at a book store): First of all I hang around the section for newly published books. I watch the rankings as well. When I found a book with a cover which gives me a big impact, I can't pass by without picking it up. For example, the cover on this book looks quite interesting, it has an impact.(The book's title is ’Illness without any parasitic worm’ and its cover has something which looks like a big worm on it). I love space and the depth of the ocean. I love the world where lots of mysteries are left unsolved.

Narrator: Sometimes books give him inspirations for new pieces. For example, he choreographed an ex program by himself inspired by a best-selling novel 'Byakuyako' by Keigo Higashino. Machida played the role of a young man who was tossed about by the fate. He did everything by himself- choreography, costumes, bloody red painting on his hand, and even lighting plan, to fully express the world in 'Byakuyako'. Also he skated East of Eden in the last season inspired by the novel. It became one of his best programs. What kind of programs will he skate in this season? Nobunari Oda interviews with him.

Machida(in the press conference for GPS): My short program is to Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra, and long program to Symphony No. 9 by Beethoven.
Narrator: Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra is well known as the music Mao Asada skated to when she won the first title in Worlds(2007-2008). And Symphony No. 9 by Beethoven is know to everyone.
Machida: Although both of the musics are already very popular, I want to own them.

Nobu(as a interviewer): In what process did you pick these musics?
Machida: I've wanted to skate to these musics for long. I was not confident enough to use them till last season. But I came to feel I can use them in this season.
Nobu: Did the experiences in the Olympic season give you lots of confidence?
Machida: Well, yes. And also I have more confidence in the certain field that I can express than before. I feel I can use these musics within the field.

Narrator: Although he announced the musics, he keeps his programs totally in secret so far. Windows in the rink are covered with curtains and screens.
Machida(at the rink): In a sense it's still the preparatory period. I don't want the half-finished pieces to be public. I have strong wishes to make debuts of the finished programs on the official stage.

Nobu: Do you challenge anything in your new programs?
Machida: Like you did some challenges such as unique entrances into jumps and better air positions in jumps when you were competitive skater, I'll go on the same way. I want to improve and give originality to the elements.

Narrator(showing his training at the rink): This is his daily routine. But if you look his training closely, you'll see some tips of his new programs. The key is the unique movements during the entrance into jumps such as jumping up immediately after difficult turns, and jumping up immediately after the difficult position to keep balance.
Oda's comment during the training clip: His strategy is push up the quality in both of his jumps and the programs themselves. He'll be able to receive higher PCS, especially in TR.
Narrator: His strategy is to receive higher GOEs and PCS marks by adding unique transitions. But this strategy has big risks as well.
Machida(somewhere outside of the rink): Everything I wished to have is packed in the new program. On one hand I felt like "Wow, it's a great piece" after finishing the choreography, I was very satisfied with the wonderful piece. :cheer: But, on the other hand, I regretted like "Why I didn't leave room to keep my stamina?"

Narrator: Machida says his new program is an ideal one which has everything he wished to do. But it's the tough one to skate all through. Why does he want to skate such tough program? The reason is the presence of the Olympic gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu who is younger than him by five years.
Nobu: What means the presence of Hanyu to you?
Machida: He always tries to push the boundaries of himself or even this sport. That's why I respect him so much. And he gives me inspirations to do my best.

Narration: Hanyu accomplished the grand-slam including OGM in the last season. He has a plan to include three quads in his new LP. He never satisfied with winning the crown and never stop improving his skating. Machida has been inspired by Hanyu a lot. Machida has never beaten Hanyu. However, he won silver in his first appearance at Worlds in the last season. The distance of the scores between Machida and Hanyu was only 0.33. He reached the point very close to Hanyu at last. In the press conference for GPS Machida said an unexpected phrase "I will knock him down!" :revenge:
Hanyu: I was told "I will knock you down" by him. :lol: Actually we are in good relationships. My take is that we are inspiring to each other and push ourselves up to the higher level.
Machida: When "knock" of "knock down" came out of my mouth, I thought "Oh, gosh! This phrase must be too much," but it was too late to stop, and I let myself go with the whole phrase. :D:saint: Well, I don't deny the fact that I have a thought in myself that I want to beat him. I aim at winning {the Worlds} if he leaves a room. I'll do my best to overwhelm him.

Narration: (the review of the strategies of Machida and Hanyu in this season)
Machida: There is no room left for me to get another quad in my arsenal. In the different way[from Hanyu]
I set very high hurdles in myself. I'll do my best to achieve my goals. It would be great if people see me achieving the goals.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks Ioanap.
Machida came as a total surprise to me last season. I hadn't focused on him at all, but he's just what Japan figure skating needs. His life-story of effort and endurance to reach his current level of consistency contrasts sharply with Hanyu's meteoric rise to stardom. I hope they can continue to push each other to new levels of performance. -And Kozuka, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for him, I can't give up on him yet.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^:agree: I haven't gotten around to making my top 10 skaters to watch this season list, but for sure all three of them will be on that list.

Ionap thanks for the link. Tatsuki's saying that he doesn't have a new quad this season fits with the armchair analysis earlier in this thread, but despite that I think he can be competitive with Yuzuru with his strategy of improving his GOEs and PCS. More important, Tatsuki thinks he can beat Yuzuru.

Hoping Tatsuki's performance at Skate America this weekend will augur well for his season this year as it did last year.

ioanna

Record Breaker
New article from icenetwork
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/10/22/99266226

Second City slices: Machida's best is yet to come

When U.S. skaters Jeremy Abbott, Jason Brown and Douglas Razzano take the ice at Hoffman Estates' Sears Centre for Skate America this week, they'll square off against tough international competition, starting with Tatsuki Machida.
The Japanese skater won his first Grand Prix medal, a bronze, at 2012 Skate America. Last season, he ran away with gold, defeating countrymen Daisuke Takahashi and Takahiko Kozuka by more than 24 points. The 24-year-old from Osaka went on to quality for the Grand Prix Final, place fifth at the Sochi Olympics and win silver at the 2014 World Figure Skating Championships in Saitama.
Machida's choreographer, Phillip Mills, thinks the best is yet to come.
"This is my third season with him, and I feel like we're just getting started," said Mills, who is also part of Machida's coaching team. "He has the mentality of a ballet dancer and the intensity of an athlete, and he's willing to work the way I want to work."
This season, Mills sought to create programs that would move Machida forward artistically, while still highlighting the quad toe and triple Axel-triple toe combinations the skater reeled off last season.
"We had to do something to help him become more of an actor, tell a story more fully, rather than just have beautiful movement," Mills said. "I'm trying to get a nice marriage between transitions and choreography, and bravura jumps and spins. Way back, Carlo Fassi said to me, 'Just remember, it's a sport first.'
"He has harder transitions this year into the jumps. I asked him, 'Should I make it easier?' He said, 'No, no, no -- I must practice them.'"
It's been a busy offseason for Machida, who placed second behind Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu at last season's Japanese nationals. He is scheduled to graduate from Kansai University and recently took a graduate school exam, Mills said.
Mills traveled to Osaka to work with the skater after the world championships and then returned to Japan in May. Machida came to Mills' rink in Southern California in June and stayed for part of the summer.
"I haven't seen him in a month," Mills said. "It's been a lot of travel. His coach (Yoshinori Onishi) takes video, sends it to me, and I email notes back."
Mills calls Machida's short program, set to "Fantasy" from Ladies in Lavender by Nigel Hess and a musical score by Faber, a "tragic love story, a journey through pain everyone goes through, one way or another." He created Machida's free skate, entitled "Believe," to Beethoven's "Symphony No. 9" and choreographed it in three movements: Passion, Cherish and Celebration.
Mills, who studied with the American Ballet Theatre (ABT) and danced in European ballet companies, integrates training methods from the dance world into his coaching.
"We do a 30-45 minute class on ice, similar to ballet class in a skating way -- working on balance, line, lean of the blade -- before jumping into choreography," he said. "And, of course, it's to piano music, just like in ballet."
Officials from the Japanese Skating Federation visited California in August for three days to review Machida's programs and those of Haruka Imai, who will also compete at Skate America.
"The federation has been very supportive," Mills said. "They don't tell us what to do artistically; they review the elements and levels to make sure everything is in line with IJS rules. They are very knowledgeable."
Machida did not compete at a Challenger Series event this fall. Instead, Mills said he gained mileage on the programs by performing portions of them in shows in Japan.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
New article from icenetwork
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/10/22/99266226

Second City slices: Machida's best is yet to come
Machida did not compete at a Challenger Series event this fall. Instead, Mills said he gained mileage on the programs by performing portions of them in shows in Japan.[/I]

Uhmm, must have missed that. Love the head ("Second City slices: Machida's best is yet to come") though. Thanks ionap!

Thanks for the link chapis! Now I know what a "vine" is, besides something grapes grow out of, i.e., "A short video, usually 5 to 10 seconds long of compiled clips of random stuff. They are frequently posted on social websites such as facebook, twitter etc." (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Vine).

Hope thät will be the only instance of "wrong timing" for Tatsuki at Skate America. ;)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Machida seems like a great person.
He comes across all dramatic and mysterious during interviews, but people around him (I think Akiko said this) say he's really normal, pure and a nice guy.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Machida seems like a great person.
He comes across all dramatic and mysterious during interviews, but people around him (I think Akiko said this) say he's really normal, pure and a nice guy.

According to people who have met him, he is a nice and very humble guy. He's mostly quiet but does like to talk a lot about things he likes and this is how sometimes he comes across as dramatic and mysterious.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Wow, glad to know that. Makes me proud to be his fan.

Thanks for the links ionap. Love that Tatsuki is getting recognized by young skaters who want a picture taken with him. Can't wait to see his programs (and his costumes).

After hibernating for a while, this thread is now moving...

KansaiPJ

On the Ice

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update. Goooo Machida.
In a recent TV show, Machida said he was upping the amount of transitions and making the entries into his jumps more complex.
In this way, he hopes to challenge Yuzuru and the others.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Another practice report.
Machida FS strong - opens 4t, huge 3A/3T; fell final 2 jumps. Great closing sequence of spread eagles, kicks, steps.

Johnny Weir: “My personal favorite of the field is Machida. He is so strong technically. He’s growing as an artist. He really does something interesting every time he’s on the ice.” (source)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Another practice report.

Johnny Weir: “My personal favorite of the field is Machida. He is so strong technically. He’s growing as an artist. He really does something interesting every time he’s on the ice.” (source)

Thanks for the updates ionap. I feel that Johnny previously didn't "get" Tatsuki. I heard Johnny comment once that at times Tatsuki comes across as "cold" and "rehearsed." Glad to know Tatsuki's artistry (something I thought was always evident in his skating) is growing on Johnny.