Tatsuki Machida | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

mikaboo

Medalist
Great to see you posting again mikaboo! Welcome back. :) Thanks too for the video link. That was quick.

Re Tatsuki's costume, it's good it has that bit of bling to distinguish him from Dennis. I was amused by the posts in the SA Men's SP thread on the similarity of their costumes. :biggrin:

Thanks Maria Victoria! I'm happy to see you back posting regularly also.
Machida's costume is similar to his East of Eden costume isn't it. Now I'm nervous about his FS costume (because of Firebird). Some Japanese fans are jokingly saying that Machida is growing his hair long to style it like Beethoven's in his FS. I hope they are wrong, but it would be amusing to see…

Another video that turned up on my feed with better quality and English commentary (added to my original post also).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXGrxK6zES4

And an interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcVnjhElydM

He said his physical condition isn't satisfactory yet (he mentioned his legs), but it's still pretty good for a first skate of the season and he is proud of himself and he'll do his best tomorrow. His FS program requires his 120% strength but it's challenging and the satisfaction after achieving his goal would be great so he hopes he can achieve it at least once this season.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thanks for the kind words :eek::, the video link, and translation, mikaboo. So Tatsuki was not 100% in his SP. That's incredible considering how well he did! I hope he'll do equally well in his FS.

Machida's costume is similar to his East of Eden costume isn't it. Now I'm nervous about his FS costume (because of Firebird).

Yup. His SP costume minus the bling also reminds me of his costume for his exhibition to "Les Demoiselles de Rochefort" and Daisuke's costume for "The Crisis." His "Firebird" costumes were, in the usual way of "Firebird" costumes, much too literal.

Crossing my fingers Tatsuki will wear something similarly classic and elegant as his SP costume for his FS.

Some Japanese fans are jokingly saying that Machida is growing his hair long to style it like Beethoven's in his FS. I hope they are wrong, but it would be amusing to see…

:laugh: Oh Tatsuki's hair has also been subject of comment in the SA Men's SP thread. Daisuke and Evgeni Plushenko have been mentioned as possible sources of "inspiration." Personally, I go with Stephane Lambiel. (https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...DdrQj8IFTDikFy_qGndLWMMHqdvkZ6Ybk8J1GgJEwLc2u) There was even a post that said Tatsuki's hair was "distracting." Well, so long as his skating doesn't suffer...:)

foruiz

Final Flight
What an amazing skate from Tatsuki! He really seems to be confident. The scores will be hard for Jeremy and Jason to overtake. Ooops, I hope I do not jinx it. Haha! Yeah Maria Victoria, I think he is going for the Lambiel look more. :) And yes yes, it would be amusing for Nobu to recreate his poses :biggrin:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Wow, so good to see this thread finally moving fast :laugh:

I have yet to see the program (will watch Skate America reruns on Eurosport) but I am very thrilled to know he had a very solid performance.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
:laugh: Oh Tatsuki's hair has also been subject of comment in the SA Men's SP thread. Daisuke and Evgeni Plushenko have been mentioned as possible sources of "inspiration." Personally, I go with Stephane Lambiel. (https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...DdrQj8IFTDikFy_qGndLWMMHqdvkZ6Ybk8J1GgJEwLc2u) There was even a post that said Tatsuki's hair was "distracting." Well, so long as his skating doesn't suffer...:)
My very minor complaint about the hair is that it hides his face. Makes it harder to see his expression, and how he feels the music. He also tends to keep his head down, which makes it even harder to see him. I'm actually hoping the hair situation would allow him to improve his projection and audience connection, because now he has to look up. :)

But whatever, that was a masterful skate no matter where he's looking or what hair he has.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Tatsuki's SP in much better quality from the Japanese broadcast - bonus, Nobunari Oda commenting ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KDApNdT8XM

I really don't know if I'm able to add anything else besides what's already been said, I'm just going to insist on the fact that right now he is creating a class of his own. He's not "that third Japanese guy" from Sochi anymore, and he's rapidly distancing himself from the shadows of superstars like Yuzuru Hanyu and Daisuke Takahashi. He is a beautiful blend of ballet, theater and skating. I think the Worlds result from earlier this year has lit a fire inside him and he believes he is capable of doing great things.

Cannot wait to see Symphony no 9 as I believe it's going to be majestic. I hope he skates another clean program and has a smooth GP season. Also - this time he needs to be on the GPF podium. Actually, no - he has to.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
My very minor complaint about the hair is that it hides his face. Makes it harder to see his expression, and how he feels the music. He also tends to keep his head down, which makes it even harder to see him. I'm actually hoping the hair situation would allow him to improve his projection and audience connection, because now he has to look up. :)

I agree that he needs to project to the audience more even if there are comments that he is "overly dramatic" as it is. Some probably won't be able to handle all that passion and intensity directed at them. ;) Tatsuki's skating is strong stuff.

He is a beautiful blend of ballet, theater and skating.

Well said!

Thanks ionap for this and the video link. I think mikaboo and I can now rest easy. :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
:unsure: Oh it is more blingy than what appears in the first picture. Still it won't get the same sort of critical reviews as his "Firebird" costumes I think. Reminds me a bit of Jason's "Riverdance" costume, only the color of Tatsuki's top is blue.

firal

Record Breaker
Tatsuki's SP in much better quality from the Japanese broadcast - bonus, Nobunari Oda commenting ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KDApNdT8XM

I really don't know if I'm able to add anything else besides what's already been said, I'm just going to insist on the fact that right now he is creating a class of his own. He's not "that third Japanese guy" from Sochi anymore, and he's rapidly distancing himself from the shadows of superstars like Yuzuru Hanyu and Daisuke Takahashi. He is a beautiful blend of ballet, theater and skating. I think the Worlds result from earlier this year has lit a fire inside him and he believes he is capable of doing great things.

Cannot wait to see Symphony no 9 as I believe it's going to be majestic. I hope he skates another clean program and has a smooth GP season. Also - this time he needs to be on the GPF podium. Actually, no - he has to.

Thanks for the link and agree with this 100%. Amazes me how fluid his performance was, each jump just seems to fit into the choreography so well. Really look forward to the FS and the rest of the season.

foruiz

Final Flight
Congratulations Tatsuki for the gold in Skate America!!! You have crushed them all!!!

adelia

Record Breaker
Congrats! More than well deserved! :)
The only skater that impressed me this competition.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Machida at Skate America .... :love:

Kaboom!!!! Crushing all by huge margins. :party: :hb:

mikaboo

Medalist
Congratulations Machida!

He's got such fierce competition in Japan, I hope he won't be burned out by the end of the season.
He looked as exhausted as Yuzuru at the end of the performance.

Thanks ionap for this and the video link. I think mikaboo and I can now rest easy. :)

Phew :agree: