Tatsuki Machida | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

ioanna

Record Breaker
I'm also going to congratulate Tatsuki but I'm going to say Congratulations Tatsuki for winning Skate America by a 35 point margin and he even lowered his base value because he knew he didn't need it. Nobody has ever done that in this competition before.

A link to Tatsuki's FS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nXZxOXcO8k

Majestic, as I expected. IMO, his choreography matches the music (the spread-eagle into the arabesque spiral is to die for) and the dramatic flair is fit to a piece like Symphony no 9. And while some of the jumps were hesitant, I feel like he has full confidence when he goes into them and he knows he can do them. A weaker mindset would have found him falling or underrotating. He is strong and he's thirsty to win.

ioanna

Record Breaker
New article from IFS Magazine
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/32742-tatsuki-machida-steals-the-show

Tatsuki Machida Steals the Show

TATSUKI MACHIDA

On competing in Chicago:

This is my first competition of the season and my preparation was not quite ready so that is why the second half of the free program quality went down a little bit. But at the same time, I was quite pleased even though this was the very first time I competed. I was able to make that certain level. I want to develop my program throughout the season and polish up my programs.

On his free program:

My new program, Symphony No. 9, is very challenging for me. I have to give my 120 percent otherwise the performance will not make it. It's very hard and challenging. While I am practicing, if I have the perfect condition and the perfect-fitting boots and everything goes perfectly, I can skate clean. But that's at practice. To perform in front of the spectators is much harder. It was not easy today but after hearing how the spectators responded to my performance, everything was rewarded.

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
I'm also going to congratulate Tatsuki but I'm going to say Congratulations Tatsuki for winning Skate America by a 35 point margin and he even lowered his base value because he knew he didn't need it. Nobody has ever done that in this competition before.

Woooow! That's amazing and exciting! I do feel a bit bad when other skaters get beat by such a large point margin, but if you're gonna set the bar you might as well set it high =D

ioanna

Record Breaker
More articles on Tatsuki's win

Tatsuki Machida makes history at Skate America with winning free skate (examiner)

Japan’s Tatsuki Machida was in the lead after the short program by twelve points, but after his phenomenal free skate, Machida not only won the event, he won it by the largest margin in Skate America history. Tatsuki stomped his competitors by 34.92 points and is now the first repeat men’s Skate America champion in 13 years.

Machida opened with a beautiful quad toe, followed by a quad toe-double toe combination along with a gorgeous triple axel-triple toe loop combination and the program just continued to soar from there. Not only did Tatsuki display his pristine technical abilities, he also showed a great amount of passion and artistry. This is Machida’s second consecutive win at Skate America and it very well deserving even more so this time around.

Japan's Tatsuki Machida defends Skate America crown (Yahoo! Sports)

Japan's Tatsuki Machida got his post-Olympic figure skating season off to a rousing start Saturday, blitzing the competition to defend his Skate America title. Machida, who led after Friday's short programme, easily won the men's free skate to finish with a total 269.09 points at the Sears Centre Arena.

American runner-up Jason Brown finished almost 35 points back with a total of 234.17 points. Canada's Nam Nguyen, making his senior grand prix debut, was third at 232.24.

Skating to Beethoven's Symphony No. 9, Machida's flawless routine included a quadruple toe loop-double toe loop combination, and a triple axel-triple toe loop combination.

Japanese men have won Skate America eight of the last 10 years.

Tatsuki Machida dominates men's free skate final (redeyechicago)

Machida, 24, is finishing an undergraduate degree at Kansai University in Osaka, Japan. In March, he and countryman Yuzuru Hanyu, the reigning Olympic champion, became the first two Japanese men ever to go 1-2 at the world championships.

This was Machida's second straight Skate America title and fourth straight regular-season Grand Prix victory.

In three years working with California-based choreographer Phillip Mills, Machida has developed the impressive command of artistry and athleticism that made him an easy winner of both the short program and free skate.

"He is the only skater I have had with the mindset of a ballet dancer and the intensity of an athlete," Mills said.

That showed in Machida's free skate to music from Beethoven's ninth symphony, a program that ended with pieces of the emotionally powerful "Ode to Joy" final movement. He had a purpose behind every movement and landed two quadruple jumps.

Fatigued or not, Tatsuki Machida golden at Skate America (redeyechicago)

Figure skating can be an unforgiving sport.

When fatigue sets in late in a long program, which lasts 41/2 minutes for men, the athletes mist push forward with jumps and spins and footwork, all on blades with edges as wide as the cutting edge of a kitchen knife. The smallest slip or slightest loss of balance can become a fall.

The conditioning to stay upright and mistake-free for an entire free skate often is lacking early in the season. The body is further compromised if you have been dealing with a 14-hour time difference following a 16-hour flight taken a day after finishing an important exam for your bachelor's degree, as Japan's Tatsuki Machida was at Skate America.

It all hit the reigning world silver medalist near the end of his free skate at the Sears Centre on Saturday night, when he had a significant misstep on a jump combination and turned a triple axel into a double. When the program ended, he sank to his knees, overcome by exhaustion.

"My preparation was not quite ready," Machida said. "That's why in the second half of my program the quality went down a little, and I regret that."

The truth was he had nothing to regret, having delivered a performance worthy of the magisterial music that accompanied it: the choral movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. With two successful quadruple jumps and a mix of power, passion and precision in his movements, Machida won by the largest margin at Skate America in the 11 seasons with Code of Points scoring.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
:clap::clap:
I was a bit worried about Japan's future in figure skating with so many retirements, but Machida has truly taken up the mantle as a consistent medal winner.
Along with Hanyu and the up-and-comer Shoma, Japan can keep winning those medals. YAY!

bronwynsings

Rinkside
Hello all :) I am so thrilled with Tatsuki's programs this season! Especially his long program, I think it's among my favorite of the men so far this season. The spread eagle to arabesque, right on the music, is to die for :love:

He's proved why he's the reigning world silver medalist, and why he was so close to being world champion. (And IMO, he should have been.)

Way to go Tatsuki! Can't wait for TEB!!

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Congrats to Tatsuki for winning SA. The event had been disappointing for the most part, but I think he made the saying "save the best for last" come true for me.

firal

Record Breaker
:clap::clap:
I was a bit worried about Japan's future in figure skating with so many retirements, but Machida has truly taken up the mantle as a consistent medal winner.
Along with Hanyu and the up-and-comer Shoma, Japan can keep winning those medals. YAY!

Now if only the ladies can step up too...:think:

I actually like the SP better than the FS, but I think it's partly because it is still early in the season and it needs some more polishing. And I have to be honest, the hair distracted me a bit too.

unico

Final Flight
Videos from the British Eurosport

SP: Fantasy for Violin & Orchestra
LP: Symphony no 9
EX: East Of Eden
Thanks for the links! I wanted to see the British Eurosport guys take on his LP. A bit disappointed that they only commentated it after the fact and didn't offer that much to say.

I do like that gutsy 3S right in front of the judges, and of course that final 3Lz. Actually his entire LP is pretty gutsy by virtue of skating to non-warhorse music that is so iconic and staggeringly difficult to interpret. He lost a bit of finesse at the end and I think it affected his timing a bit, but it's totally understandable because he's absolutely pushing himself to his physical limits through his footwork and transitions and you can tell he had nothing left in the tank by the end. :eek::clap:

He's really set the standard high in the early season, but I have faith that he's not peaking too early and that he'll still be great later in the year. I'm really anticipating seeing this program with even more mileage and live in person! :yes:

sajoya

On the Ice
I know I'm a little late for this but WOW! BRAVO, MACHIDA! :bow: I was never a fan of his last season programs, but now sign me up! This season's programs really suit him! Mostly the LP, he did justice to Beethoven's symphony 9. It was very captivating, easily drawn me in when that music started to play and it had me from start to finish. I hope he reconsiders retirement. I know there's more to him and I would love to be there to see it every step of the way. His consistency so far can make him a contender for gold in Pyeongcheng 2018, so please Machida, reconsider (and Japan needs him, now that I saw Kozuka's performance at JO :no:). Again, well done Machida. I'm a fan! :clap:

(Edit: Also, did anybody uploaded CBC's commentary of Skate America on Youtube? I usually prefer CBC when it comes to these competitions :p)

iceberg

On the Ice
I know I'm a little late for this but WOW! BRAVO, MACHIDA! :bow: I was never a fan of his last season programs, but now sign me up! This season's programs really suit him! Mostly the LP, he did justice to Beethoven's symphony 9. It was very captivating, easily drawn me in when that music started to play and it had me from start to finish. I hope he reconsiders retirement. I know there's more to him and I would love to be there to see it every step of the way. His consistency so far can make him a contender for gold in Pyeongcheng 2018, so please Machida, reconsider (and Japan needs him, now that I saw Kozuka's performance at JO :no:). Again, well done Machida. I'm a fan! :clap:

(Edit: Also, did anybody uploaded CBC's commentary of Skate America on Youtube? I usually prefer CBC when it comes to these competitions :p)

I'm a little late as well but I could'nt agree more. Tatsuki is in it to win it. He reminded me so much of Yuna Kim coming at the 2013 World Championships in her best form. He definitely set the pressure on. At the beginning I'm not really a fan of his artistry, but I am starting to love him now especially the start of this season. I love his choice of music and its choreography. The Beethoven's symphony no.9 is a stellar music. I think this season is a revenge for him. After all, I still think he shoul'dve won gold at last years worlds. I wish him the best this season but I'm confident he is in his best form!

iceberg

On the Ice
Yes! I LOVE these commentators! Thank you!

Count me in! I love love love these 2 so much because Mao is their most favorite figure skater of all time!

But I also love CBC commentators Tracy and Kurt. I learn so much from them. Very articulate commentators.