Tatsuki Machida | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

cdngirl

On the Ice

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thank you for the link Gallavich. I enjoy reading interviews with Tatsuki. He's so intelligent with a lot of depth. I am also hoping he wins. I do think this is Tatsuki's long overdue time to shine so I will be cheering him on throughout the season.

I was wondering, did Tatsuki give this interview in English? Jean-Christophe Berlot mentioned his English was difficult at times and the answers do seem off here and there, grammatically speaking. But if that was really Tatsuki then I'm very impressed he was able to express such intricate ideas.

By the way, I'm glad to see you posting again cdngirl :)

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I was wondering, did Tatsuki give this interview in English? Jean-Christophe Berlot mentioned his English was difficult at times and the answers do seem off here and there, grammatically speaking. But if that was really Tatsuki then I'm very impressed he was able to express such intricate ideas.

That's the way I took it: "Even though his English sometimes comes out with difficulty, his ideas and sentences seem to flow just as he skates on the ice: smooth and seamless."

Maybe he spent time improving his English over the summer? I recall him speaking rather hesitantly at the press conference at Worlds. I hope we'll get to hear him speak more English today. :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Well that was... a bizarre competition to say at least. I can see why he got higher PCS than Denis - imo he didn't give up on the program and he's just much more consistent than Denis and as far as I know judges like to award that. Not saying Denis deserved lower PCS though.

I wonder if that change of boots had a say in this.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
poor Tatsuki! what a wonderful program!

Tatsuki did look deeply disappointed with himself in the K and C specially when the scores came up showing he placed second (his eventual placement). He did not get nor did he seem to expect solace from his coach. We all know he can do the jumps; I think pressure just got to him, pressure from his own and other people's expectations specially after that magnificent SA performance. He has made such great strides in the mental department in the last season, where he broke through to the very elite of men's FS, but sometimes those demons of doubt do sneak up on him like this instance.

On the positive side, his PCS saved him the silver, and it was because he fought for the program even though his jumps were not at their best. It is something he can take away with him for later competitions.

I am glad you think Tatsuki's FS program is wonderful. :) Apparently it is one that can provoke extreme reactions: some hate it, others love it.

unico

Final Flight
Tatsuki did look deeply disappointed with himself in the K and C specially when the scores came up showing he placed second (his eventual placement). He did not get nor did he seem to expect solace from his coach. We all know he can do the jumps; I think pressure just got to him, pressure from his own and other people's expectations specially after that magnificent SA performance. He has made such great strides in the mental department in the last season, where he broke through to the very elite of men's FS, but sometimes those demons of doubt do sneak up on him like this instance.

On the positive side, his PCS saved him the silver, and it was because he fought for the program even though his jumps were not at their best. It is something he can take away with him for later competitions.

I am glad you think Tatsuki's FS program is wonderful. :) Apparently it is one that can provoke extreme reactions: some hate it, others love it.
Yes, I think in general his style is very polarizing. Taking my Canadian commentators for example, I know that Kurt Browning isn't the biggest fan (he describes it as "too much syrup on my pancakes" lol), but you can tell Carol Lane LOVES him. She absolutely loves his style to bits and I think she sided with Machida for the win at Worlds last season. It's because he's not generic and he's going about his artistry in a unique way that brings about these reactions, I think.

I actually thought his KnC reaction wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been and it looked like he was a bit pissed/already fired up to do better (or maybe I need to rewatch it). But hopefully he will at the GPF and conquer his demons, especially with that specific competition :yes:

iceberg

On the Ice
The thing is i already promised myself not to watch it live but i actually did. And so I guess I'm really a jinx when i watch it live. But over-all I have to agree with you guys that Tats did not give up on the program. The quality on the positions of his spins was evidently the best in competition hands down to that. I'm still happy he won silver. Still a magnificent LP. My favorite!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I would say Tatsuki himself seems to provoke extreme reactions ;)

True. Digressing, actually I am amused (just a little) that the charge of being overly dramatic is usually levelled against him and Yuzuru, two Japanese skaters, when the Japanese as a people are known for being stoic and reserved. But it does seem that the Japanese men figure skaters are, shall we say, less guarded with their emotions. and how they express themselves. ;)

ioanna

Record Breaker
For example, I see Misha gaining a lot of popularity and sympathy all over the internet. Now I love Misha and his skating, and he is a wonderful person but isn't his style at least as "overly dramatic"? It's truly puzzling to me how a lot of people state that as a reason why they dislike Tatsuki's skating but at the same time enjoy Misha.

Not trying to discredit Misha, but Tatsuki is overall a much, much better skater than him.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Despite the jumping errors, I really liked the choreography of his LP. And that's coming from someone who puts "Ode to Joy" on the top of her "Never Skate to This" list. Good luck to Tatsuki at GPF.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
For example, I see Misha gaining a lot of popularity and sympathy all over the internet. Now I love Misha and his skating, and he is a wonderful person but isn't his style at least as "overly dramatic"? It's truly puzzling to me how a lot of people state that as a reason why they dislike Tatsuki's skating but at the same time enjoy Misha.

Not trying to discredit Misha, but Tatsuki is overall a much, much better skater than him.

Just wait until Misha starts winning stuff, and then the tide will turn. ;) I feel like skaters who get to a certain level of hype or success will always attract "haters." (The one big exception being...Daisuke? I wasn't reading forums for most of his career, but I don't remember ever seeing anything too negative about him.) Misha's managed to stay under the radar, but I'm sure people will start calling him hammy, or bashing his skating skills and/or lack of a quad the moment he's perceived as a threat to their favorites.

Nothing wrong with being dramatic in my eyes.

unico

Final Flight

Well I'm sure if Ge started winning things (and getting high PCS basically), people would scrutinize him to death too. When you become a top contender, every fault is seemingly magnified. And as someone who enjoys both Ge and Machida immensely, I can maybe see how Ge is a bit more "approachable" (very smiley after his skates, always on Twitter/Instagram, skates to K-pop for his exhibitions, etc) and Machida has the image of being a bit more of a, how to put it, "lofty artist" :laugh: I don't know, simply just different strokes for different folks I guess. :yes:

EDIT: gallavich, you are me today, I swear.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Yes. Wonderful. I like the diversity... He reminds me of Lambiel...

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
The thing is that for as long as I've been watching figure skating I have rarely encountered the kind of antipathy he is getting at the moment, and I'm not only referring to forums. For a top skater, a lot of people pick on every little thing he does and ridicule him. It's their choice really but as a fan of his skating I can't help feeling a bit puzzled. :confused: I guess they see different things than I do, which is totally fine in the end.

I agree that Misha's open and friendly personality helps boost the sympathy he's getting though.

unico

Final Flight
The thing is that for as long as I've been watching figure skating I have rarely encountered the kind of antipathy he is getting at the moment, and I'm not only referring to forums. For a top skater, a lot of people pick on every little thing he does and ridicule him. It's their choice really but as a fan of his skating I can't help feeling a bit puzzled. :confused: I guess they see different things than I do, which is totally fine in the end.

I agree that Misha's open and friendly personality helps boost the sympathy he's getting though.
Well I guess nothing is bad to me after being a Patrick Chan fan, antipathy would have been nicer than the sheer viciousness that he was often subjected to. Not that his soundbites helped his cause at all :laugh: But what kind of antipathy are you talking about, like in the media?