Tatsuki Machida | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

ioanna

Record Breaker
Well I guess nothing is bad to me after being a Patrick Chan fan, antipathy would have been nicer than the sheer viciousness that he was often subjected to. Not that his soundbites helped his cause at all :laugh: But what kind of antipathy are you talking about, like in the media?

Patrick was probably the greatest target in recent years, that is very true but at the same time he had his fair share of loyal fans.

Yes, I would even include the media - I have heard some commentators discrediting him, some in a disrespectful way. I wouldn't know to put my finger on the exact comments or commentators at the moment but I remember they left an unpleasant impression on me. And just generally a lot of people getting personal with the insults but thankfully this has not been the case on the forum.

firal

Record Breaker
I totally understand if he's style is considered "too dramatic" or not someone's cup of tea; I felt the same way before and I still don't care for his firebird program from last season. But I've grown to appreciate his style and the persona that he tries to upkeep when he is on the ice. Having seen footage of him in interviews and even on Japanese variety programs, I find his off-ice personality quite endearing too, even if it can be often misunderstood. For example, they've shown him bringing a book to read during Sochi when he was up on the stands watching. ;)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The thing is that for as long as I've been watching figure skating I have rarely encountered the kind of antipathy he is getting at the moment, and I'm not only referring to forums. For a top skater, a lot of people pick on every little thing he does and ridicule him. It's their choice really but as a fan of his skating I can't help feeling a bit puzzled. :confused: I guess they see different things than I do, which is totally fine in the end.

I haven't really noticed any of that. Do you mean English-language commentators or from somewhere else? If the worst thing people have to say is that he's "too dramatic," he's doing pretty good, from my point of view. I've seen all kinds of terrible comments about most of my favorite skaters, some without any basis in reality.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Patrick was probably the greatest target in recent years, that is very true but at the same time he had his fair share of loyal fans.

Yes, I would even include the media - I have heard some commentators discrediting him, some in a disrespectful way. I wouldn't know to put my finger on the exact comments or commentators at the moment but I remember they left an unpleasant impression on me. And just generally a lot of people getting personal with the insults but thankfully this has not been the case on the forum.

This is figure skating..;) I heard totally different opinions about same skaters not just from fans but from EXPERTS, COMMENTATORS, too!!.....

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I totally understand if he's style is considered "too dramatic" or not someone's cup of tea; I felt the same way before and I still don't care for his firebird program from last season. But I've grown to appreciate his style and the persona that he tries to upkeep when he is on the ice. Having seen footage of him in interviews and even on Japanese variety programs, I find his off-ice personality quite endearing too, even if it can be often misunderstood. For example, they've shown him bringing a book to read during Sochi when he was up on the stands watching. ;)

Oh he did? That makes him more endearing in my book. ;)

Thanks for sharing firal.

iceberg

On the Ice
I haven't really noticed any of that. Do you mean English-language commentators or from somewhere else? If the worst thing people have to say is that he's "too dramatic," he's doing pretty good, from my point of view. I've seen all kinds of terrible comments about most of my favorite skaters, some without any basis in reality.

I remember in Sochi's team event there's this british commentator who seemed really critical with Mao and even said about her 3A as something that she just attempts to do and have not really mastered or something like that. A bit of an undermining. I mean hello, if you really watched Mao in her whole career you have no right to say that. I was just glad that Kurt Browning was there and tried to reciprocate her comments about Mao.

ioanna

Record Breaker

Both English and worldwide and definitely not only from this season or the past season. He's been facing the "he looks like a wannabe" criticism for a long time. But given his recent results, some sports journalists have turned their opinion around. Skaters face criticism all the time but it is my impression that Machida's "antipathy wave" is most of the time much stronger than the "sympathy wave" - as a fan I don't remember ever skipping past so many baseless, hateful comments with any of my previous favorite skaters. The negative and the positive ones were always balanced.

ioanna

Record Breaker
The Japan News reports Tatsuki's result at TEB, describing how he started feeling "heavy in his steps toward the end of his program, when he intended to demonstrate the sorrow of love" :laugh:

Coach Onishi says practice time at TEB was limited and he might have been affected by jet lag. Tatsuki says he went to visit a church in Bordeaux, got lost on the way and had to walk twice the distance. He says he will be "hard on himself" from now on but I'm not sure if that is encouraging or worrying.

Asahi headlines, Machida: I saw the weaker version of myself for the first time in a good while

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yes. Wonderful. I like the diversity... He reminds me of Lambiel...

Oh that's nice of you to think so. :) Stephane has choreographed for Tatsuki, and Tatsuki obviously looks up to him so he'll obviously be pleased to know that some see Stephane in his skating. A few (like me) even think Tatsuki is channeling Stephane in his (Tatsuki's) current hairstyle. ;)

The Japan News reports Tatsuki's result at TEB, describing how he started feeling "heavy in his steps toward the end of his program, when he intended to demonstrate the sorrow of love" :laugh:

Coach Onishi says practice time at TEB was limited and he might have been affected by jet lag. Tatsuki says he went to visit a church in Bordeaux, got lost on the way and had to walk twice the distance. He says he will be "hard on himself" from now on but I'm not sure if that is encouraging or worrying.

Asahi headlines, Machida: I saw the weaker version of myself for the first time in a good while

Thanks for the links ionap. The Japan News report quotes Tatsuki as saying that "I got lost on my way to offer prayers this morning, so I ended up walking twice as much as I expected. I think I went for too much of a stroll” and reports that he has visited the church every morning since he came to Bordeaux. Two things: first, I am glad there was an explanation for that uncharacteristic mistake in his SP. After SA, where Tatsuki looked utterly spent after doing his FP, I thought he may have to still build up stamina to meet the demands of his programs this season, which had been designed to bring him to the top of the podium. Second, I am glad to know he is a prayerful person as there are times when prayers are all we have and all we can do.

As for Tatsuki being hard on himself, it is certainly a bad thing if taken to extreme lengths. Apparently Tatsuki uses it as motivation to excel and do even better. I do hope he also takes the time to take pride in his accomplishments and see how far he has progressed as a skater.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I have mixed feelings about Machida's style, but I like him as a skater. I also thought that he held up the program at TEB very well indeed even though his jumps were not on point. -He should have had higher PCS. It may take some time for people to grow to like Machida...like some very strong cheeses. :biggrin:
As long as he stays true to himself and keeps winning medals, who cares about what others say?

ioanna

Record Breaker
Tatsuki's East Of Eden from the TEB gala. Bizarre fall at the end... he must be really tired. :eek:hwell: I hope he gives himself time to rest and recharge batteries in time for GPF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iay56z5fQaI

While I can understand why he chose to skate on EOE in the galas, it's too similar to his competitive programs. Can't help hoping for a different EX later in the season.

To end the TEB weekend on a more positive note, here are a few non dramatic Tatsuki programs. ;)

F-U-Y-A (Cup Of China 2012)
Happy Feet (Nebelhorn Trophy 2010)
Find Love (Medalist On Ice 2006)
Je Te Veux (Prince Ice World 2014)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Tatsuki's East Of Eden from the TEB gala. Bizarre fall at the end... he must be really tired. :eek:hwell: I hope he gives himself time to rest and recharge batteries in time for GPF.

While I can understand why he chose to skate on EOE in the galas, it's too similar to his competitive programs. Can't help hoping for a different EX later in the season.

To end the TEB weekend on a more positive note, here are a few non dramatic Tatsuki programs. ;)

Yes, I have read more than one post in this forum asking if Tatsuki has skated programs other than dramatic ones. ;).

Thanks for the links and updates ionap. Also wishing Tatsuki a good rest before the GPF and Japan Nationals.

iceberg

On the Ice

OMG his "Find Love" he looked very different and seem really different from his artistry now. And he looked so hawt!!!:laugh:.

I didn;t know he was this hot before. :)

iceberg

On the Ice
By then he's what 28? He should and I pray that he will I still think he deserves an olympic medal in his career.

ioanna

Record Breaker
By then he's what 28? He should and I pray that he will I still think he deserves an olympic medal in his career.

He did say Sochi was his first and last Olympics but it's probably going to depend on the way things will be going in the next 4 years. His body is definitely unable to perform a 2 quad SP or a 3 quad FS.

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
He did say Sochi was his first and last Olympics but it's probably going to depend on the way things will be going in the next 4 years. His body is definitely unable to perform a 2 quad SP or a 3 quad FS.

It's amazing how early skaters have to retire. Athletes in general, I guess, but it seems like they're completely wrecked by the time they're thirty. I'd love to see Machida keep going, but in the end I want what's best for him. There's always ice shows =D

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
After several rumors about Tatsuki retiring after this season and/or continuing until Pyeongchang, he finally made a statement upon his arrival in Japan earlier today.
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLSSXK20466_V21C14A1000000/

He says he is not 100% certain he wants to compete for another 4 years and he will just go with the flow and see what happens.
That's no answer at all, Tatsuki. :p

Imo, he doesn't need a 2-quad SP or 3-quad LP to be competitive. I think the sport's "advancement," jumping-wise, has been overhyped. There were many reports of crazy jumping layouts over the summer, but so far none of them have panned out, and we're still on the semi-clean 2-quad LP.