Tatsuki Machida | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

ioanna

Record Breaker
I wonder if Max's choice of Phillip as choreographer was in any way influenced by Tatsuki's rendition of the latter's choreography in the same way that Tatsuki thought of working with Phillip after seeing Ashley's "Black Swan" choreographed by Phillip.

Maria, now we know the answer. :) Quoting from icenetwork

At the end of February, Aaron turned to Phillip Mills, who had recently impressed the skating world by transforming Tatsuki Machida from a middle-of-the-pack Japanese skater to the 2014 world silver medalist and four-time gold medalist on the Grand Prix circuit.

"Phillip Mills was in the ballet for years and years," Aaron said. "I knew he would be able to help me [after] seeing the transformation he did for Machida. I heard about his background and said, 'That's the guy I want.' It will force me to work on my ballet."

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Maria, now we know the answer. :) Quoting from icenetwork

Thanks for the link ionap. It is gratifying to see as a Tatsuki fan how his startling transformation in his 20s from also-ran to contender has been taken note of in the skating world and is a source of emulation/inspiration for other skaters like Max. :)

Not to take anything away from Phillip's contribution to this transformation, but I think Tatsuki pretty much has an artistic sensibility from the start, which Phillip helped refine and ratchet to another level. Also I would attribute a great deal of Tatsuki's transformation to serious podium threat to his stabilizing his money jumps, quad toe and triple axel, through the help of Anthony Liu as you have previously noted.

Going back to the article, I note that Phillip seems to have taken his artistic tutelage of Max as no less than a patriotic duty: ""I am committed to Max, and to our country, to bring a bravura athlete with artistic credence to the forefront." (Emphasis added) I sense this added dynamic of being compatriots also in Brian Orser's coaching of Nam. In the future, I would also like to see Tatsuki be likewise to younger generations of Japanese skaters. That should also be in keeping with the theme of his new exhibition. ;)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Not to take anything away from Phillip's contribution to this transformation, but I think Tatsuki pretty much has an artistic sensibility from the start, which Phillip helped refine and ratchet to another level. Also I would attribute a great deal of Tatsuki's transformation to serious podium threat to his stabilizing his money jumps, quad toe and triple axel, through the help of Anthony Liu as you have previously noted.

In the future, I would also like to see Tatsuki be likewise to younger generations of Japanese skaters. That should also be in keeping with the theme of his new exhibition. ;)
ITA. Tatsuki's natural talent was visible from the start and Phillip helped polish it. He also couldn't have become World Silver Medalist without mastering his technical arsenal with the help of coaches Liu and Onishi. I also hope the theme of his new program means he plans on following the footsteps of his mentor Phillip Mills and become an esteemed choreographer.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Have never seen him look better or as well coiffed (Lambielesque). :)

Thanks for the picture links ionap.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Have never seen him look better or as well coiffed (Lambielesque). :)

Thanks for the picture links ionap.

He's looking good. His costume reminds me of a flower on a stem.
It makes me think his acne was due to huge amounts of stress.
Even Yuzu had some pimples at Sochi and the latest World Championships.
Anyway, I hope the whole thing is broadcast soon.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

What a gorgeous appearance! I can't wait to see his performance. I wonder when would be aired.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
BS Japan will broadcast PIW Yokohama on May 17 14:00-16:30

Someone is sure to record the important bits.

Thanks for the info. I really hope so, because that will disclose not only Tatsuki's new EX but also Wakaba's new competition one. :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Thanks for the update ionap! I just love how the Japanese skaters like Tatsuki do not shirk from doing the difficult jumps/jump combos in exhibitions.

Nice close-up pictures of Tatsuki. This may be fanciful of me, but when I first saw his PIW pics, the thought crossed my mind that this is what the Korean youngster Cha Jun Hwan might grow up to be like someday. (Maybe because of that long hair and shape of the face and carriage?) Then I just read in the Team Korea thread that Cha, like Tatsuki, idolizes Daisuke for his expressiveness on ice. Coincidence. ;)

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Found the whole quote from Phillip Mills re Tatsuki as his student in the MK Forum (http://mkforum.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-26906.html).

Posted by billob:

From the April IFS magazine 'Short Program' Column
segment about Tatsuki Machida.

It's from Choreographer, Phillip Mills.

"I think Tatsuki was the best student I have ever had.
Michelle Kwan was a great student but he was a better
student than her. He was willing to let me push him
out of his comfort zone, and I really appreciated that."

The man is certainly entitled to his opinion.

ioanna

Record Breaker
^ Thank you for sharing the full quote, Maria. I can see how Michelle Kwan fans were a bit miffed by this :laugh: but I guess Phillip Mills was just being honest and complimenting Tatsuki for being open to challenges. He was always willing to be pushed out of his comfort zone even when he wasn't working with Mills, and I think F-U-Y-A is a great example of that. Stephane Lambiel sent him the song and while he was very skeptical about it he accepted the program and also did an amazing job. Having followed the lead of both Mills and Lambiel, I hope he will continue to choreograph many more programs in the future.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info. Here is a link to a video of parts of the performances of Tatsuki and Wakaba in PIW: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pobr7_0510-tv-special-piw%E9%83%A8%E5%88%86_sport. Tatsuki moving like a dream.

Thank you for the link Maria. Earlier I was reading this blog which is a review of Tatsuki's program from the point of view of a fan who attended the show 5 times and had 5 different seats.
http://ameblo.jp/montagnemagique/entry-12022414470.html

The fan says the program (as well as the design of the costume he chose to wear) was a representation of all living life and was something that surpassed gender. A lot of other fans have said that thanks to his hair/make-up and outfit he looks very androgynous but it seems like this was something he aimed to convey all along. He became a symbol of all living creatures and created an image of something ethereal. The fan heard a lot of people crying around her during every single performance - I can only imagine the kind of emotions those fans were experiencing. She also mentioned that he seemed like a complete different person from Tatsuki of Prince Ice World 2014 and while he interacted very well with the audience and thanked them all the time, his eyes looked very distant. Other fans mentioned there were lingering signs of sadness (maybe nostalgia) in his gaze.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Thanks ionap for the link and lovely report of the feedback of the audience to Tatsuki's self-choreographed exhibition. Now beside myself waiting to see the entirety of Tatsuki's program.

The Skating Lesson recently interviewed Phillip Mills and he talked about Tatsuki (7:55. 17:36. 24:55). Apparently Phillip also helped Tatsuki with his breathing and landing of jumps and not just in choreography. Around 24:55, Philiip said that Michelle Kwan is an "optimum student" but Tatsuki went beyond and became his "best student." Phillip also said, "I was so fortunate to work with him." (18:20) And I think I speak for all of us Tatsuki fans in saying that we are fortunate to see the fruit of their collaboration. :)

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
The Skating Lesson recently interviewed Phillip Mills and he talked about Tatsuki (7:55. 17:36. 24:55). Apparently Phillip also helped Tatsuki with his breathing and landing of jumps and not just in choreography. Around 24:55, Philiip said that Michelle Kwan is an "optimum student" but Tatsuki went beyond and became his "best student." Phillip also said, "I was so fortunate to work with him." (18:20) And I think I speak for all of us Tatsuki fans in saying that we are fortunate to see the fruit of their collaboration. :)
Thanks for sharing, Maria. It's nice to still keep this thread alive after several months since Tatsuki's retirement.

I can definitely understand what Mills meant by Tatsuki being a better student than Michelle, because he gave several examples. Tatsuki became willing to do everything Mills told him to do and it definitely payed off in the end so their communication and understanding was the key of his success. I also agree with him and believe Tatsuki was the best blend of artist and athlete in recent years.

My favorite part of the interview was the little Ladies in Lavender story. To quote Mills directly, "last year when I finished Ladies in Lavender for Tatsuki when he was here, I had just finished the program and our rink is really crowded with pairs and dance and singles, it’s insanity. So I finished the program and I said Tatsuki, we’re gonna do the full program now. With one quad, triple lutz and triple axel. He hadn’t done a single jump. And he looked at me and I said a champion can do this. Right now, your body’s warm, let’s go. And you know, he did a brand new, full short program. It wasn’t great but he did a quad toe, he did a triple lutz and he did a triple axel."

I think this shows the competitor in him because he took the challenge even though he hadn't practiced jumps and was probably exhausted after all the work they did on the choreography. He went and landed three clean jumps, including a quad toe and a triple axel. Tatsuki often said he didn't see himself as a real competitor but I always thought he was and this story is further proof of it.

Last edited: