Tatsuki Machida | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

ioanna

Record Breaker
He will certainly remember Sochi at least for all the fun he's had sharing a room with Daisuke for 2 weeks. He did not medal, but he was 5th and got invited to the exhibition gala along with Yuzuru, Mao and Daisuke, which will be another beautiful memory.

He was right to say he did not view Yuzuru as a rival in the team event because they were working together for a common goal. Japan would have certainly medalled with stronger skaters in pairs and ice dance. It's unfortunate the situation of those 2 particular categories in Japan while the singles have so much depth.

Tatsuki certainly showed his competitive side at Worlds, performing under so much pressure and not afraid to challenge Yuzuru. I admire his ambition and the progress he's made this whole season.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I know he has read John Steinbeck's East of Eden novel in order to perform his SP this season but I'm not sure of anything else. Maybe somebody can help with the info.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
What philosopher(s) does Machida read to help him with his figure skating?

Wow what a great question! Prompted me to do an internet search and found this translation of an interview with Tatsuki last year after his 2013 Skate America SP:

He is not an ambush any longer!
Machida marked 91.18 in his SP as the 6th score in the world history.

He raised his fist after finished his performance.
He succeeded 4T-3T combo perfectly and updated his personal records adding 7.70.
"I had a happy 3min.” He also got good 5 components score almost same as Takahashi’s.

His SP is the piece from ‘East of Eden’ of TV drama.
He tried to use it last season but didn’t because he had not read it deeply yet.
He has a special attachment for Steinbeck's masterpiece.
"It is the best choice for 20th anniversary of my skating career and the winter game
season.”

The movie ‘East of Eden’ is very famous but Machida has not watched it yet.
"I hope that people take off their colored spectacles of ‘East of Eden = James Dean’
and feel my own story.

His hobby is reading and he’s also interested in philosophy.
His favorite book is Hegel’s Aesthetics. And his theme of this season, “Timshel” the word
of Hebrew, is very difficult term, that is the main concept of East of Eden.
“That means “Thou mayest”, in plain words, open your own way.”

“Japan has so many top famous skaters and I am a farthest man from the Olympic game. However, I sell myself and try to do it with strong feelings of I will get one of three
Olympic spots without fail”

Source: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/masqueradewaltz/folder/470063.html?m=lc&p=2; emphasis added.

And as we all know, he did make it to the Japanese Olympic team to Sochi! :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thank you for the info, Maria! Not only did he make the Olympic team, but the way he did it by winning silver at the nationals was amazing.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thank you for the info, Maria! Not only did he make the Olympic team, but the way he did it by winning silver at the nationals was amazing.

ITA ionap. Tatsuki was able to control his nerves in that most nerve-wracking of competitions, the most difficult of any Olympic qualifying competition. (It was a competition that also left me in tears more than once watching.)

Tatsuki's competitive history in Japanese nationals (senior men): 2007 (13th), 2008 (7th), 2009 (7th), 2010 (4th), 2011 (6th), 2012 (4th), 2013 (9th), 2014 (2nd)!

Source: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/tatsuki_machida

ioanna

Record Breaker
You are very right, that was the most difficult Olympics qualifying competition for the men's singles in Japan ever. Not only did Tatsuki have to fight the Vancouver trio to get a spot, but also the record breaker Yuzuru and, why not, even Takahito Mura who was able to qualify for the 2013 Worlds.

In Japan, skaters like Daisuke, Nobunari and Takahiko didn't take the Olympic spots for granted, as it happens with other top skaters from other countries. The 3 per country rule is terrible when it comes to this. Takahiko and Nobunari both deserved their own spots.

Thank you for Tatsuki's competitive history. He was so close to getting a spot at the Vancouver Olympics!

I found this picture from the 2007 World Junior Championships posted by irenissi of Tatsuki, Takahito Mura and Hirofumi Torii
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnhL6qHIcAEfXgT.jpg:large

ioanna

Record Breaker
Aaw, he was so cute :laugh:

He is so beautiful to watch, even with popped jumps or stepping out. The first 3A and the 3S-2T-2Lo combination were very good though! And the ending pose! He truly looks like a swan :laugh:

It's so nice to hear Shizuka Arakawa and Takeshi Honda's commentaries at the nationals, even though I only understand bits and pieces :biggrin:

Jombi

On the Ice
Could anyone give me some insights regarding Machida's coaching situation (past and present)? Apart from the coreographers the only one I know is Anthony Liu..thank you in advance :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Could anyone give me some insights regarding Machida's coaching situation (past and present)? Apart from the coreographers the only one I know is Anthony Liu..thank you in advance :)

Hi Jombi! I have read some posts being critical of Tatsuki for "dropping" Anthony Liu after the latter has obviously helped him improve, and was myself a bit mystified about it until I read this and realized it was not an easy decision for Tatsuki to make:

Machida has learned under Yoshinori Onishi at Rinkai Sports Center from this spring.
There is the number limit of accompanying coach to Olympics so Machida has to
decide whom he takes to there.
Then he puts Onishi to his main coach and dissolved the relationships between Hata
who had taught him for about 10 years and also Liu who had taught him for two
years.
"It was a hard decision for me. I have to stand on the rink in Sochi with appreciation
to both of my old coach who have brought me here."

Source: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/masqueradewaltz/folder/470063.html?m=lc&p=2 post dated 1/9/14; translated from a Japanese article; emphasis mine.

BTW this blog is a great resource on Tatsuki. From the blog, I also learned that Tatsuki's dream after retiring is to be a writer or film director. He has also said in another interview he wants to be a choreographer. All artistic and creative pursuits!

And from the post by celestecruz in the Yuzuru thread, I got this link to this video (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1unkmb_140514-トキカケ-tokio-織田-鈴木_sport?start=52) showing Nobunari (this time) imitating Tatsuki's opening choreography in his "East of Eden" SP (0:26). :) I think that program is becoming legendary!

ioanna

Record Breaker
I hope he picks choreographer over the rest :biggrin: But if he does direct something, I hope he does a documentary on Team Japan or something like that. From the perspective of someone who actually is part of the team.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I hope he picks choreographer over the rest :biggrin: But if he does direct something, I hope he does a documentary on Team Japan or something like that. From the perspective of someone who actually is part of the team.

I agree that being a choreographer best suits him :). A choreographer is also like being a writer (you conceptualize a theme or narrative for the program and flesh it out) and director (to the skater).

I would love to see Tatsuki also try his hand at writing. He has said he likes reading mystery books, so maybe he can write a whodunit in a figure skating setting with philosophical musings.

Jombi

On the Ice
Hi Jombi! I have read some posts being critical of Tatsuki for "dropping" Anthony Liu after the latter has obviously helped him improve, and was myself a bit mystified about it until I read this and realized it was not an easy decision for Tatsuki to make:

Machida has learned under Yoshinori Onishi at Rinkai Sports Center from this spring (...)

Thank you so much for the information. I knew I could count on you guys, you’re like my bible to get infos regarding team Japan ;)
Well, question of the day: in other threads they were discussing ideas regarding a next season suitable musical choice for other skaters so I’d like to ask you if you have any special picks for Machida.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for the information. I knew I could count on you guys, you’re like my bible to get infos regarding team Japan ;)
Well, question of the day: in other threads they were discussing ideas regarding a next season suitable musical choice for other skaters so I’d like to ask you if you have any special picks for Machida.

You give me too much credit.:biggrin: I also ask for information from the nice Japanese fans who have been gracious in providing translations and links to materials on TJ members like Tatsuki that are otherwise inaccessible and in providing explanations of nuances that may be lost on nonJapanese fans and in gently correcting mistakes. I get help also from those fans (both Japanese and nonJapanese) who are much more knowledgeable about TJ and skating in general.

Re your query on music for Tatsuki, I think of this: Ennio Morricone's "Nella Fantasia," https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no73qeozDxk; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJhax7Jmxs (although I would love for Yuzuru to skate to it too), part of the soundtrack of "The Mission." Love that movie too BTW being Jesuit-educated.

How about you, what music would you want Tatsuki to skate to?

Jombi

On the Ice
^ I can definitely picture Machida skating on this music (not that much Hanyu though eheh ;)). Uh this also reminds me another nice program I've recently seen:
Song Nan (The Mission) 4CC 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8kU9WiJoL0

How about you, what music would you want Tatsuki to skate to?
Maybe this? Lacrimosa, from the tree of life's soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xacflWZig8c
Not sure though, it's veeeery solemn and the program has to be very well-constructed otherwise it'll be difficult to keep up with the continuing crescendo that starts around 02:00. Maybe it would work better for ice dance but I like the song and I think Machida can give it justice :)

Also these 2 songs..possibly with a better editing eheh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YGdkxI0rU4

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thanks for the links Jombi!

Must say that Song Nan's presentation has improved! Good for him as it would be nice for him and Han Yan to do well in next year's Worlds in Shanghai.

But return to Tatsuki, I think he can also do joyful and upbeat programs. There was a part in his 2014 Worlds gala exhibition where he did the clicking of the heels and prancing bit and Kurt went Woah! I didn't know he had it in him! (Carol Lane also commented that Tatsuki can turn that exhibition into a competitive program.) Kurt also said that Tatsuki's 2014 Worlds FP had more than "fire" and more "bird";) than his (Kurt's) 2002 Worlds FP using the same music. Kurt noted that "Firebird" is difficult music to keep up with, but that Tatsuki was able to do so, so I think the continuing crescendo you were referring to in your recommendation with matching choreography will pose no problems for Tatsuki, stamina wise. He's one of the strongest skaters around, pound for pound and inch for inch! ;)

Jombi

On the Ice
But return to Tatsuki, I think he can also do joyful and upbeat programs.
Oh you’re right, he definitely can! I think he’s very eclectic. But you know, you can’t win an Oscar with a comedy ;)

Kurt also said that Tatsuki's 2014 Worlds FP had more than "fire" and more "bird";) than his (Kurt's) 2002 Worlds FP using the same music. Kurt noted that "Firebird" is difficult music to keep up with, but that Tatsuki was able to do so, so I think (...)
I’m not a fan of the firebird program but it’s a fact that it's a very difficult piece of music to skate to and Machida did not show any sign of fatigue in the final part, which is impressive given the above mentioned difficulty. So you’re right, once the program has the right structure he’s surely able to fulfill it.

Carol Lane also commented that Tatsuki can turn that exhibition into a competitive program.
I very much agree.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Oh you’re right, he definitely can! I think he’s very eclectic. But you know, [you can’t win an Oscar with a comedy ;)

Annie Hall? ;) But I get what you mean, Tatsuki has to play to his strength (bold, dramatic, and sweeping artistic expression) to stand a chance against Yuzuru and Javier whose technical firepower is a notch above because they also have a quad salchow (well, Yuzuru did land two in competition last season. ;))

BTW over in another forum, a gracious Japanese fan provided this link to this revealing article on Tatsuki: http://www.jiji.com/jc/zc?k=201402/2014021500066. From her and Google translation:

He was named Tatsuki ("tree") in the hopes he will grow up like the sturdy, big tree shown in a television commercial as he was born a premature baby, weighing 2400 grams. He spent six years of elementary school in short pants.

Most touching is that Tatsuki's mother had to hold two jobs to pay for his skating expenses as a result of which his mother could not go to her hometown and take care of her mother, Tatsuki's grandmother, who was ill. Tatsuki wrote a letter apologizing to his grandmother who shed tears upon reading it. Tatsuki keeps in his pocket an embroidered amulet (charm) from his grandmother who has passed away three years ago from cancer.

Cognizant of his mother's sacrifices, Tatsuki vowed to her to work hard to win prize money and also to get invited to ice shows. So I guess that's the reason for his startling transformation last season: a son's promise to his mother, which he has kept.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thank you Maria for sharing that information. I admire Tatsuki even more after reading this, and I'm very happy for his success in this past season.