A G&G question | Golden Skate

A G&G question

zilam98

Rinkside
In their Calgary SP, G&G did a back inside death spiral instead of the required back outside DS. Why did they not comply with that requirement? G&G have been doing that in their two earlier SPs, so it's not a question of their ability. Above all, it was the Olympics, a time when most athletes would attempt to do the hardest thing just to capture that gold medal. Could anyone educate me on this?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
One theory -- the judges may not have noticed. Or, since they were so popular, with the panel as well as the audience, they chose to overlook it. Or they may have figured out of all the required elements, they were the best on all of them except maybe the death spiral, so they chose to overlook it. Kind of like what they did with Kazakova & Dmitriev in the 98 Olympic SP -- that pathetic excuse for a death spiral would not have passed muster in 1955 and yet supposedly their other 7 elements were deemed superior enough to overlook that particular one.

katweige

Rinkside
During the 88 Olympics, was the requirement in fact a back outside death spiral? I know that sometimes the required elements change from season to season. For instance, the requirements for lifts at the 88 games was a lasso lift, but I don't recall every competition since having the SP requirement be a lasso lift. Is it possible that the required element was in fact a back inside death spiral?