The New Icenetwork | Golden Skate

The New Icenetwork

macy

Record Breaker
I can't stand it. The setup, the speed skating, and all results, pages, and video before january 2011 is gone. it's not worth $50 anymore.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A great deal of the stuff is still on the website-it just isn't linked yet through the new interface. You can often find the old stuff via Google. Sign in to IN first though, because the login through the old stuff is dicey.

Usually the exhibitions show up after the GPF.

And more old events are being uploaded...I don't know how far back they are going to go.

I do like the quality of the streaming better, but everything else is worse.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I really do think the streaming is improved - but that is it! If I want results for sectionals, or Nationals before 2013 I end up going to google and I never had to do that before.

Maybe (very big maybe) they will eventually get the rest of the archives linked in, but what about all the articles....I'm not real happy about IN!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And all of the articles before 2013 are gone

A great deal of the stuff is still on the website-it just isn't linked yet through the new interface. You can often find the old stuff via Google. ...

.... If I want results for sectionals, or Nationals before 2013 I end up going to google and I never had to do that before.

Maybe (very big maybe) they will eventually get the rest of the archives linked in, but what about all the articles....

IN articles -- going much further back than 2013 -- are reachable via Google (or presumably other search engines), just like IN videos and event results. :)
Or at least some of the IN articles from past years will show up in search results.

To limit results to IN, don't forget to use the following search term ;):
site:icenetwork.com

lcd

Match Penalty
At least it's more up to date than SkateBuzz. Many of the athletes listed under each discipline are no longer even competing in the sport

ice coverage

Record Breaker
At least it's more up to date than SkateBuzz. Many of the athletes listed under each discipline are no longer even competing in the sport

I remember when SkateBuzz announced its "hiatus" (my word) way back when. After a looong time had passed with no signs of life, I assumed that the hiatus eventually (and quietly) had become permanent.
But it was only my assumption. Do you know whether SkateBuzz ever claimed that it had returned to normal operations?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It does make you wonder why, if skaterbuzz is dead, they don't just stop paying for the website and let it disappear.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
what's skatebuzz?

I would describe SkateBuzz as a companion website to Skate Canada's own. SkateBuzz was a separate dotcom for news, interviews, videos, etc.

In that sense, it was sort of analogous to IceNetwork and its official relationship to U.S. Figure Skating, although I don't know whether SkateBuzz was intended to be a money-making endeavor. Don't remember whether SkateBuzz sold subscriptions, but much, if not all, of its content was free, IIRC. (I myself never had a subscription.)

As you can tell, the truth is that SkateBuzz effectively "died" so long ago that my memories of it are very fuzzy -- maybe someone else will have a better/different description.

The type of content that SkateBuzz used to offer now seems to appear right on skatecanada.ca and/or on Skate Canada's YouTube channel, etc.

ETA, the message posted at SkateBuzz.com (the same message that has been there for an eternity, it seems):
SkateBuzz is currently unavailable as we redesign a new an improved fan site!
In the meantime, click the links below to get the latest skating news and information!

(The links are to the site for Skate Canada and the site for London Worlds.)​

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
I think Ice Network subscription is a huge bargain. I can't think of any purchase I make is as good a deal. If my wife & I decide to attend Nationals for the seventh consecutive year, it will cost MORE for one "cheap seat" for a single session than I pay for ALL of the figure skating events for a year! And I only have to turn on the IMAC with a cushy front row seat. No hotel bill, no scheduling flights and airports, no freezing arena. No junk food. And I see instant detailed results in the comfort of home. Thanks Icenetwork!! (I may just skip Boston. For sure, Sochi and Worlds will be viewed in the comfort of our home!)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am with you. Yes, the streaming is better but that has nothing to do with the interface. The old one was intuitive. Go to the competition, or find an old comp you want to re-visit, click on the comp and you get the choice of results and/or videos....it was fast.
Even I could do it.....
Now, you go to Schedule and results, click figure skating, under 2013 NHK click "more", click "more" again, and there is Ladies free, Mens free, and dance free....no pairs, no shorts...click "more vids" and you go to one of the existing vids...there are blue charactors you can click on to at least get results....I am a member of USFSA so I get treated like this for only $24 but I will nicely give them my two cents at Boston.....this interface is the answer to a question nobody asked...

I really do think the streaming is improved

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
I agree....the new Ice Network interface is a redundent mess....but still a bargain. ( Wonder what it would take to convince them to go with the "original doctor, and the original insurance "? ) It really shouldn't be that big of a deal to toss.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's a bargain...if you're American.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just remember, you can keep your original icenetwork....and your skaters....you wont have to give them up for the govt skating network.....
I agree....the new Ice Network interface is a redundent mess....but still a bargain. ( Wonder what it would take to convince them to go with the "original doctor, and the original insurance "? ) It really shouldn't be that big of a deal to toss.

macy

Record Breaker
if you pay the $50 do you just get this season now? or do you have to pay the new $90 value to get everything?

ugh can it just go back to the old site and old prices please

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For $50 you get everything, this season plus past seasons but it's hard to navigate. For $90 you get speed skating with figure skating.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't really have a problem with the price...I got to see quite a few comps that will never air on TV. My big beef is with the interface. They took something that worked fairly well and BROKE IT!!!

I feel better now :laugh: