Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best foods for skaters-different by country?

Hybrid View

Best foods for skaters-different by country?

Maybe our Asian members and Amerasian members could speak to a question in my mind. When Mirai and caroline Z were tiny, it was of course easier. It seems the top Asian women are very tiny, thin always, YuNa, Mao, Akiko, Miki, on and on.

I wonder if Caroline or Mirai have given interviews. I think in the USA, the food supply is so damaged with chemicals, genetically modified foods, pesticides that act as phytoestrogens which clearly cause weight gain and cancers. Is Japan much better about banning the mess we have in USA? I wonder if Mirai and Caroline eat a traditional Asian diet or a mixed, or American diet. Their weight gain and development is different than the asian girls I see. Where I live, there is not a very visible Asian community tho. Even if Mirai and Caroline skate and work out, it seems they are developing like many causcasian girls. I am not picking on them-they are beautiful, but their development into women seems to have made jumping much harder.

I wonder what most figure skaters eat-or other high performance athletes like gymnasts? I know many starve them selves, but thery don't usually become champions. I know Akiko had an eating disorder, but she seems to have much energy and good weight now, thankfully. It made me wonder if the food rules were much stricter than what is happening in this country.

Custom Title
    be careful. I predict that some members are going to accuse you of calling skaters fattie mcfatsos and that is not good.

Custom Title
    I can't say for Caroline but I went to the same school as Mirai for a bit. I remember once that her breakfast was a brown paper bag of small apples (she didn't finish all of them) and her lunch was a lean slice of salmon teriyaki (her family owns a Japanese restaurant in our town too). She ate really healthy. From her instagram, it seems that she goes to Starbucks like other American girls like Ashley and Agnes.

I remember another poster bringing this topic up but there are a lot of Asian girls that don't survive the puberty monster too. More recently look at Kwak Min-jeong, Risa Shoji, Yuki Nishino...

On the Ice
    I really don't think any sweeping conclusions can be made based on ethnicity, country or anything else. Look at Nina Mozer, then look at Vera Bazarova. Everybody is different (and not better or worse for that).

Um, would we be having this discussion about Ashley, Gracie, or Rachael and their European counterparts who they may share some distant ancestry with? People's bodies are just different with different genes (or sometimes even with the same genes, as loopy demonstrated), and I don't think it has anything to do with ethnicity. Some other Asian American skaters like Kristi Yamaguchi and Christina Gao are tinier than tiny and they lived their whole lives in North America...

Quote Originally Posted by Pasdedeux View Post
    I really don't think any sweeping conclusions can be made based on ethnicity, country or anything else. Look at Nina Mozer, then look at Vera Bazarova. Everybody is different (and not better or worse for that).
    Haha, perfect answer, thank you, Pasdedeux.

Custom Title
    I assure you that Asian women's bodies come in various shapes and sizes also. Not all of them are tiny--have you seen the Chinese women's volleyball players? The Korean women speed skaters? The Japanese national women's judo team? Plenty of tiny Asian girls that start out in something like figure skating or gymnastics hit puberty and outgrow the ability to compete at the highest levels since they can't consistently perform high level skills anymore--you just don't see them since for the most part they drop out before hitting the international competition level. Not really any different from girls in the west or anywhere else. It is true that genetically, a higher proportion of the east Asian female population tends towards sloping shoulders, slimmer hips, and smaller breasts which can help the physics of rotation in figure skating, but it also comes with a lighter skeleton and lean body mass that is lighter in muscle and lesser in raw power. That's broad brush and may or may not apply to a specific skater.

As for trying to link this to the U.S. food supply...are you aware at all of the famously unsafe Chinese food supply that has all the issues you mention and then some? Japan is safer but has also had its issues. No country eats in isolation anymore with all the import/export so this all seems a red herring anyway. What is constant and universal is that weight is determined by Energy Consumption vs Energy Expenditure. And more than the rest of us, top athletes have to match their overall diet and nutritional intake to their sport and training regimen. How that weight is distributed on the body is more a matter of family genetics. But as humans are essentially more similar than dissimilar, I can't see any reason why two theoretical skaters that are both 1.63 meters tall, 52 kg in weight, 20 years old, and with identical training regimens, would require a vastly different meal plan just because Skater 1 is Japanese and Skater 2 is North American (any ethnicity). The body needs protein and whether it comes from fish, chicken, pork or tofu matters little as long as portion is correct. Whether the green vegetable is spinach or seaweed is similarly not discriminated by the body. Naughty snacks full of fat exist everywhere though there are probably culturally more offerings in the U.S. Again, an athlete has to exercise discretion and willpower.

What does seem to be different in the U.S. are customary food portion sizes, at least for the general population, and a lack of "everyday" exercise. In Asia there is just a lot more walking, stair-climbing and other body-busywork one must do vs sitting in a car. But I think this is more an issue for us mere mortals, and less an issue for elite athletes doing serious training....anywhere.

Custom Title
    What happened to Min Jeong Kwak? The last I remember she (surprisingly) didn't make it out of the SP at 2011 Worlds.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    What happened to Min Jeong Kwak? The last I remember she (surprisingly) didn't make it out of the SP at 2011 Worlds.
    off-topic, but to answer: she is almost about to retire.
    She is suffering from injuries.
    After 2010 Worlds, she got an injury. And THAT INJURY has been kept on until now.
    What's worse is that she also tripped over on the steps last year and couldn't skate for few months.
    Conclusion: she only skated at a national skate event last season once, and she's skipping this whole season due to injury.
    (And for correction:At 2011 Worlds, min-jeong didn't pass the preliminary round. It was 2012 when she didn't made it to FS.)

Medalist
    Why do you think they would have ever been tiny if it they have been in the US and the food makes them bigger. I would see this as a better question if they lived in Asia their whole lives and them moved to the US and gained weight....

We are Asian. My daughter was tiny until puberty happened and she also builds muscle quickly and easily - but it is very visible muscle. My son was always in the higher ranges for height and weight. He looked chubbier but with puberty he became very long and lean. the more he works out, his muscles are very long and smooth looking.

But...she skates and he dances so that could be part of it as well.

Same genetics, different body types.

As with everything, there's a range. Caroline and Mirai are well within the norms of Asian women. Would they have been tinier had they grown up in China or Japan. Quite possibly. Does hormone laden food source and the American diet have any effect? I'm sure it does. It doesn't change body type but as much as I hate to say it, it may effect body size and weight control. As with Caucasians, some Asian girls retains lithe figures while some do not. Asian women are not necessarily thin and petite. Mao should actually be considered an outlier among Japanese women, who typically have a stockier more solid build. There are several junior Korean skaters that look like Yuna clones so she might be considered the norm there. However South Korea is a very image oriented society judging from the rampant plastic surgery that goes on, so what you see there probably goes against nature. I've also seen some Chinese skaters who were extremely tall. You can even see extreme differences in siblings with the same genetic pool and environment doing the same things, like Michelle and Karen Kwan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    As with everything, there's a range. Caroline and Mirai are well within the norms of Asian women. Would they have been tinier had they grown up in China or Japan. Quite possibly. Does hormone laden food source and the American diet have any effect? I'm sure it does. It doesn't change body type but as much as I hate to say it, it may effect body size and weight control. As with Caucasians, some Asian girls retains lithe figures while some do not. Asian women are not necessarily thin and petite. Mao should actually be considered an outlier among Japanese women, who typically have a stockier more solid build. There are several junior Korean skaters that look like Yuna clones so she might be considered the norm there. However South Korea is a very image oriented society judging from the rampant plastic surgery that goes on, so what you see there probably goes against nature. I've also seen some Chinese skaters who were extremely tall. You can even see extreme differences in siblings with the same genetic pool and environment doing the same things, like Michelle and Karen Kwan.
    I think there's a variation of body types in the Japanese society. I've noticed some Japanese women are very petite and "stockier" than the elite Japanese skaters, but there are also some who are just as lean and "tall".

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Maybe our Asian members and Amerasian members could speak to a question in my mind. When Mirai and caroline Z were tiny, it was of course easier. It seems the top Asian women are very tiny, thin always, YuNa, Mao, Akiko, Miki, on and on.

I wonder if Caroline or Mirai have given interviews. ...
    Off topic, but important (IMHO):

I hope you do not believe that Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu themselves are Amerasian. They are NOT Amerasian. They are Asian-American. Amerasian and Asian-American are NOT interchangeable terms. They have completely different meanings.

Oh, thank you Golden, I did not know...I will google both definitions. TY for correction.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post

I wonder if Caroline or Mirai have given interviews. I think in the USA, the food supply is so damaged with chemicals, genetically modified foods, pesticides that act as phytoestrogens which clearly cause weight gain and cancers. Is Japan much better about banning the mess we have in USA? I wonder if Mirai and Caroline eat a traditional Asian diet or a mixed, or American diet. Their weight gain and development is different than the asian girls I see. Where I live, there is not a very visible Asian community tho. Even if Mirai and Caroline skate and work out, it seems they are developing like many causcasian girls. I am not picking on them-they are beautiful, but their development into women seems to have made jumping much harder.

I wonder what most figure skaters eat-or other high performance athletes like gymnasts? I know many starve them selves, but thery don't usually become champions. I know Akiko had an eating disorder, but she seems to have much energy and good weight now, thankfully. It made me wonder if the food rules were much stricter than what is happening in this country.
    Please stop.

Do you think about what male skaters eat? (It doesn't seem so.)

Skateluvr, I sincerely believe that you mean well. But, in my view, one needs to think twice before one posts publicly messages about gender-related issues, whether it is about how male skaters dress or about what female skaters eat. One might quite unintentionally support destructive beliefs and attitudes.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    One might quite unintentionally support destructive beliefs and attitudes.
    Don't you think someone needs to be educated about said "destructive beliefs and attitudes" in order to know if/why their viewpoint is wrong? How else would someone know they had been unintentionally supporting it to begin with?

Knowledge and perspective is important and the internet and message boards are vital resources for further eduction. We all need to share what we believe with each other and hopefully, after assessing all of the different viewpoints and data out there, we all come to a greater shared understanding about a topic.

This is a good thread. Nutrition is extremely overlooked. The vast majority of people really don't understand exactly how bad certain foods are for them and what benefits they can get out of lesser-known foods. The original poster is wondering exactly what Mirai and Caroline are eating. Why is this a bad question? Athletes in most other sports give in-depth interviews on the topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast