Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko or Kovtun?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    We are finally in agreement! This is exactly how I would handle the team event. Since qualifying for the team event is not dependent on the same competitions as the individual events, it makes sense for the spots for this event to be handled differently.
    Well it defies the concept of a "team" if certain countries have restrictions as to who they choose.

IIRC the current format for the Olympic team event is not the original one that was presented by the ISU four years ago. The IOC insisted on some changes. I have forgotten the exact details, but one thing that the IOC required was that the team event would not increase the total number of athletes that they would have to house and feed. The current rules are very clear that alternate athletes are not to be given the key to the Olympic village, although in some circumstances they can sneak in as day trippers for practice.

If the event is a rousing success -- which I believe it will be, especially in the U.S. television market -- then maybe in subsequent years they will be allowed to cast the teams differently.

Custom Title
    Well, here's two potential spanners in the works for the RuFed's plot to have it as Kovtun...

Voronov and Gachinski just 1-2'd Golden Spin in Zagreb.

And they didn't do it lamely either - both landed two clean quads in their FS, Artur did two triple Axels (one in boss combination - 3A-2T-2Lo), Sergei fell off his second but got credit for both, both of them got a lot of level 3s and 4s, Artur only popped one jump (3Lz to 2Lz), both of them raked in the positive GOE.

If Gachinski and Voronov are coming back into form just in time for Russian Nationals, this could get very, very interesting...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Well, here's two potential spanners in the works for the RuFed's plot to have it as Kovtun...

Voronov and Gachinski just 1-2'd Golden Spin in Zagreb.

And they didn't do it lamely either - both landed two clean quads in their FS, Artur did two triple Axels (one in boss combination - 3A-2T-2Lo), Sergei fell off his second but got credit for both, both of them got a lot of level 3s and 4s, Artur only popped one jump (3Lz to 2Lz), both of them raked in the positive GOE.

If Gachinski and Voronov are coming back into form just in time for Russian Nationals, this could get very, very interesting...
    stop hyping Gachinski he isn't making the Olympics, not going to happen
    and if these two bomb, they have nothing else as they have relatively poor PCS
    Gachinski is slow as a sloth and judges are giving him B skater PCS Marks
    Vornov has even poorer PCS than Menshov

Custom Title
    I am all for more skating But I do thing the olympic team title is really based upon the format used. I mean the results could change. Ie. they are allowing teams to compete in the team title though that nation may not hav qualified to skate at the olympics in certain events. Ordinal based placements versus points for placements versus overall points (skating scores) all could realistically have very different podium results. For example if your nation made the finals but didn't have one entry you would have a chance with a 5th place in that event. But if it was a total points can you imagine a zero to say a weak lady scoring say90 pts in the lp and sp. Or what if the scores were really close/tight ie 1 point between first and fourth - you could get very difficult results. BUt the rules for the olymics are the rules so who does htis favour the most I wonder? Maybe Japan if they get two firsts in singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    If Plushenko said he could, it will definitely be Plushenko. Maxim Kovtun reminds me of young Jeremy Abbott, but a lot more athletic. He is not only a strong jumper but also has rich artistic potential, richer than Plushenko at teenage years I have to say. Looking forward to seeing more of Kovtun's performances in the future!
    Hm. Plushy received his first perfect presentation mark , at NHK Trophy 1998. He was 16, thus he was the youngest male skater ever who received it. When he was 18 y.o. like Kovtun is now, he had 21 6.0s for his presentations. He received 12 6.0s in international competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    who does htis favour the most I wonder? Maybe Japan if they get two firsts in singles.
    I think the rules favor a team like Canada whose weakest link is still pretty good.

For instance, Japan could get 1st in ladies, 1st in men, 8th in dance, 8th in pairs in the SP, then 1st, 1st, 5th, 5th, for a total of 58 points.

Canada might get 6th in ladies, 2nd in men, 2nd in dance, 3rd in pairs in the SP, then 5th, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, for a total of 64 points.

This is pretty much a best case scenario for Japan and a worst case scenario for Canada, but Canada wins handily even so.

I think the reason they went with placements instead of CoP points is that otherwise the men's event would dominate the other three. It would probably be better to use factored placements to mitigate the effect of spoilers like Savchenko and Szolkowy who could separate the leader board in the short without having a chance to make the finals themselves.

Custom Title
    Neither one will medal, so maybe it doesn't matter who goes.

Custom Title
    Yeah that! ^^^^^^^

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Neither one will medal, so maybe it doesn't matter who goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Yeah that! ^^^^^^^
    So who will take team medal instead of Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by spread beagle View Post
    So who will take team medal instead of Russia?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    stop hyping Gachinski he isn't making the Olympics, not going to happen
    It could happen. He has the talent. If he wins Russian Nationals and then finishes the highest of all the Russian Men at Europeans, then I don't see why he would be denied of trip in favor of Kovtun.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It could happen. He has the talent. If he wins Russian Nationals and then finishes the highest of all the Russian Men at Europeans, then I don't see why he would be denied of trip in favor of Kovtun.
    Oooh, Blades, don't try and talk sense with sky_fly20.

But to answer your theoretical, I have one word: Tarasova.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Sorry but it isn't going to happen. The Russian fed will have "test skates" if Voronov and Gachinski happen to place higher than Plushenko/Kovtun until Plu/Kov inevitably win and then send them to Sochi.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    They aren't stupid. If Gachinski skates like he did at 2012 Europeans and none of the other guys deliver, then he would clearly be the best bet for Sochi to replace Plushenko.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast