Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko or Kovtun?

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    The qualification criteria is based on the individual disciplines. Skaters can only take part in the team's event, if they are also entered for the individual events. This is the reason why Russia can only enter one man into the Team Event to begin with because they can only enter one man for the individual event but not so for other countries such as Canada, USA and Japan. Japan did not qualify a Pairs team as Narumi Takahashi and her new partner failed to secure a spot for Japan at the Nebelhorn Trophy 2 months ago and no Japanese team qualified through last year's World Championships.

Someone said earlier Spain only qualified in 2 disciplines. I believe that is incorrect. Spain qualified, based on last year's World Championships in Men's, Ladies' and Dance. Both its lady and dance team reached the final (free program), therefore, qualified as a result. Spain will be able to enter the Team Event with 3 disciplines. Not sure if that makes them the "Top 10" teams however, since the Team Event is limited to 10 Teams however, as far as I know, Spain meets the minimum number of entries to be considered. I am recalling all the above based on memory so I may be missing a few details. Anyone who has more accurate info can jump in and correct me.
    No, I was right about Spain the first time. Unfortunately Sonia Lafuente did not qualify via Worlds or Nebelhorn (and of course there is no pairs spot). They have two entries in the men's event and one for ice dance, and the latter was qualified at Nebelhorn, not Worlds. Reaching the free skate at Worlds is not an automatic qualification for the Olympics, because the fixed number of Olympic spots available at Worlds also include countries that earn multiple entries, and this pushes some of the lower-finishing skaters out (other examples: Australia and Austria in ladies, GB in pairs).

Wikipedia is our friend also I like the Spanish skaters.

And as others have noted, Japan can field a pairs entry in the team event even if the Estonians sort out their citizenship issues.

Has either Plushenko or Kovtun said anything about maybe skating just the team event, then bowing out? Or is it just us?

Has any athlete complained about skating four times in two weeks? Or is the universal attitude among the skaters, "Oh boy, more medals, more medals!"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Alexandr Zaboev who is Russian and skates for Estonia as a Pair team which qualified for the Olympics has been denied Estonian citizenship. So they won't
    be going to the Olympics. Estonia does not have another pair team. Takahashi/Kihara are first on the the Stand by Entries list.
    No official announcement yet. I am pretty sure that Japan will have 4 disciplines for the Team event.

[url]http://rus.err.ee/topnews/2fe09307-cdf5-4327-8e23-43f094f6f78c[/url]

See Page 2 for the Stand-by Entries list for Pairs:
    [url]http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4772[/url]
    That's horrible for that team. To earn a spot and then have it denied.

But good news for team Japan and T/K. Although wouldn't another Estonian pairs team (if there is any) take their place?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Has either Plushenko or Kovtun said anything about maybe skating just the team event, then bowing out? Or is it just us?

Has any athlete complained about skating four times in two weeks? Or is the universal attitude among the skaters, "Oh boy, more medals, more medals!"
    I haven't heard of any currently active skaters complaining - I've only heard of some retired skaters having issues? Yags and Stojko, I think? But I haven't seen the sources, only someone saying that they'd seen something that they'd said - so apply desired amounts of salt, until someone comes forth with more reliable info.

Tarasova
    [url]http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/657166[/url]
    translated by Google

At the Olympic Games in Sochi in men's figure skating, Russia has only one license. Tournament starts skaters team competition for the first time in the history of the Winter Olympics. As it turned out, the possibility exists that the Games will act as a backup and another Russian.

"This issue is addressed - said Tarasova. - But what will be the decision of the International Skating Union - is unknown. Maybe so and succeed - in the team will perform one another in their personal. We will not speculate, we'll see. "

Piseev:
    [url]http://sochi2014.rsport.ru/sochi2014_figure/20131119/702142252.html[/url]
    translated by Google

Question about extra skater at the Olympics fundamentally resolved - Piseev
    MOSCOW, November 19 - R-Sport. The possibility of replacing the Russian sculler after team tournament at the Winter Olympics in Sochi fundamentally resolved , said CEO of the Federation of figure skating in Russia ( FFKKR ) Valentin Piseyev .

In the men's figure skating at the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia will present only one participant . Under the current regulations in the team Olympic competitions should act the same skater , which is stated in the statement .

" Information such is that the International Skating Union (ISU) appealed to the IOC asking that there were spare athletes - Piseyev said at a news conference at RIA Novosti. - We are informed that the issue has been resolved . Official paper at the moment we have but we are confident that it will . "

" Thus, we can put the team competition after spare skaters in individual tournament ," - said General Director FFKKR .

My main hope is that Russia(and other nation's teams with one spot in a discipline) choose a skater(s) that is able to skate 4 programs during olympics

Custom Title

Why should any athlete complain about skating four times in two weeks when it used to be the norm to skate three times in one week. As I am sure you remember, in 6.0 system all the skaters had to do a qualifying round + SP + FP.
    Moreover, remember the format of the GPF-s between 2000-2003: SP, FP1 and the top two had to present a different FP2 in the Super Final! All in one week.
    Actually, Plushenko is on of the very few active skaters who competed under these formats and won but, of course he was much younger.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Oh I didnt know Lafuente didnt qualify for the Olys, thats bad :(

Quote Originally Posted by amber68 View Post
    Why should any athlete complain about skating four times in two weeks when it used to be the norm to skate three times in one week. As I am sure you remember, in 6.0 system all the skaters had to do a qualifying round + SP + FP.
    Moreover, remember the format of the GPF-s between 2000-2003: SP, FP1 and the top two had to present a different FP2 in the Super Final! All in one week.
    Actually, Plushenko is on of the very few active skaters who competed under these formats and won but, of course he was much younger.
    He did the same at Euros 2012 - qualifying round + SP & FP. And mentioned that it was like it used to be, and he viewed the qualifying round positively - as an extra run through. (Or words to that effect.)

Quote Originally Posted by amber68 View Post
    Oh, for several reasons:
    1. In some disciplines, it's not four events in two weeks, it's four events within days of each other: the team event starts on February 6, and the pairs free skate takes place six days later. The men's free skate is eight days after the team SPs.
    2. In the individual events, some skaters will have to face off against competitors who didn't have to expend any energy and effort on the team event.
    3. There is a big difference between the stress and preparation for the Olympics and a GPF. The Olympics, AFAIK, never used the QR format.
    4. For some skaters, there is no real reward in doing the team competition, since they have zero chances of a medal there. But it could have an adverse effect on their chances in the individual events.
    5. I think one could make the argument that IJS programs are more physically demanding than 6.0 ones.
    6. There are a lot of skaters who can compete but do so with injuries, and this schedule could be too much for their bodies to take. Leaving aside Plushenko, who is less than a year removed from major back surgery, I don't want to see Pang/Tong in the team event - considering their physical condition, I would rather they focus on the pairs event, where they have a chance at a medal.

^ I don't see it that way at all, Buttercup. Contrary to popular believe, figure skaters are not wussies and wimps. They came to skate; let them skate. Athletes in other sports go, go, go, go, go. Skaters can do the same.

I hope Pang and Ting burn up the ice in the short program of the team event, skating so well that China makes the finals. Then I hope they skate like crazy in the long program. Then I hope they give it their all in the individual six days later. Athletes in other sports can only wish that they got six days of rest between heats.

Custom Title
    I wish the team event were simplified. e.g. Of the top 10 qualifying countries in the team event, for each discipline you are allowed up to 2 entries (even if you only have 1 entry in individual disciplines), with the option to have skaters/couples skate in both the short and free.

^ I don't see it that way at all, Buttercup. Contrary to popular believe, figure skaters are not wussies and wimps. They came to skate; let them skate. Athletes in other sports go, go, go, go, go. Skaters can do the same.

I hope Pang and Ting burn up the ice in the short program of the team event, skating so well that China makes the finals. Then I hope they skate like crazy in the long program. Then I hope they give it their all in the individual six days later. Athletes in other sports can only wish that they got six days of rest between heats.
    I have concerns about P/T competing at all considering their medical issues, and I would much rather they focus on the event where they have a realistic shot at a medal. I hope skaters manage their Olympic commitments wisely and don't put too much stress on their bodies. Skating takes a serious toll on the body and with so many veteran competitors still around, I'd rather not have skaters put their long-term health at risk. It's really unfortunate that this is being characterized by anyone as skaters being wusses, wimps or unsportsmanlike. I hesitate to use "won't somebody think of the children", but I do think it sends a poor message when elite athletes are encouraged to overdo it, whether it's in skating, or NFL players who played after concussions, or anything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I wish the team event were simplified. e.g. Of the top 10 qualifying countries in the team event, for each discipline you are allowed up to 2 entries (even if you only have 1 entry in individual disciplines), with the option to have skaters/couples skate in both the short and free.
    We are finally in agreement! This is exactly how I would handle the team event. Since qualifying for the team event is not dependent on the same competitions as the individual events, it makes sense for the spots for this event to be handled differently.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    ... Piseev:
    [url]http://sochi2014.rsport.ru/sochi2014_figure/20131119/702142252.html[/url]
    translated by Google

Question about extra skater at the Olympics fundamentally resolved - Piseev
    MOSCOW, November 19 - R-Sport. The possibility of replacing the Russian sculler after team tournament at the Winter Olympics in Sochi fundamentally resolved , said CEO of the Federation of figure skating in Russia ( FFKKR ) Valentin Piseyev .

In the men's figure skating at the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia will present only one participant . Under the current regulations in the team Olympic competitions should act the same skater , which is stated in the statement .

" Information such is that the International Skating Union (ISU) appealed to the IOC asking that there were spare athletes - Piseyev said at a news conference at RIA Novosti. - We are informed that the issue has been resolved . Official paper at the moment we have but we are confident that it will . "

" Thus, we can put the team competition after spare skaters in individual tournament ," - said General Director FFKKR .
    Thx, Plushyfan. Pls keep us posted.

Is the idea here that the ISU and/or IOC is/are changing the rules of the Olympic team event so that countries that qualified only one entry in a discipline will be allowed to have a different entry in the team event for the discipline??
    Such a change potentially could affect quite a few countries. (Not saying that all the countries below will qualify for the team event. Canada and the USA will take up two of the slots.)

[INDENT]Countries that have qualified entries in all four disciplines, but only one in the disciplines indicated below:
    [INDENT]- China (one man, one dance couple)
    - France (one lady)
    - Germany (one lady, one man)
    - Italy (one man)
    - Russia (one man)
    - Ukraine (one entry in each of the four disciplines)[/INDENT]

Countries that have qualified entries in three disciplines:
    [INDENT]- Japan (one dance couple)
    - Australia (one lady, one man, one dance couple)
    - Estonia (one lady, one man, one pair)
    - Great Britain (one lady, one pair, one dance couple)[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Wonder whether the following restriction would remain in effect from the 12-page ISU Qualification Sytem PDF.
    [INDENT]If applicable, each NOC may benefit of this Additional Athletes Quota for only one discipline of the Figure Skating Team Event.
    [url]http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4263[/url][/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Thx, Plushyfan. Pls keep us posted.

Is the idea here that the ISU and/or IOC is/are changing the rules of the Olympic team event so that countries that qualified only one entry in a discipline will be allowed to have a different entry in the team event for the discipline??
    Such a change potentially could affect quite a few countries. (Not saying that all the countries below will qualify for the team event. Canada and the USA will take up two of the slots.)

[INDENT]Countries that have qualified entries in all four disciplines, but only one in the disciplines indicated below:
    [INDENT]- China (one man, one dance couple)
    - France (one lady)
    - Germany (one lady, one man)
    - Italy (one man)
    - Russia (one man)
    - Ukraine (one entry in each of the four disciplines)[/INDENT]

Countries that have qualified entries in three disciplines:
    [INDENT]- Japan (one dance couple)
    - Australia (one lady, one man, one dance couple)
    - Estonia (one lady, one man, one pair)
    - Great Britain (one lady, one pair, one dance couple)[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Wonder whether the following restriction would remain in effect from the 12-page ISU Qualification Sytem PDF.
    [INDENT]If applicable, each NOC may benefit of this Additional Athletes Quota for only one discipline of the Figure Skating Team Event.
    [url]http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4263[/url][/INDENT]
    Probably you are right, but I don't know the details , plus I didn't read any news on it in the Russian media.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast