Plushenko or Kovtun? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Plushenko or Kovtun?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
stop hyping Gachinski he isn't making the Olympics, not going to happen

It could happen. He has the talent. If he wins Russian Nationals and then finishes the highest of all the Russian Men at Europeans, then I don't see why he would be denied of trip in favor of Kovtun.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It could happen. He has the talent. If he wins Russian Nationals and then finishes the highest of all the Russian Men at Europeans, then I don't see why he would be denied of trip in favor of Kovtun.

Oooh, Blades, don't try and talk sense with sky_fly20.

But to answer your theoretical, I have one word: Tarasova.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Sorry but it isn't going to happen. The Russian fed will have "test skates" if Voronov and Gachinski happen to place higher than Plushenko/Kovtun until Plu/Kov inevitably win and then send them to Sochi.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
They aren't stupid. If Gachinski skates like he did at 2012 Europeans and none of the other guys deliver, then he would clearly be the best bet for Sochi to replace Plushenko.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They aren't stupid. If Gachinski skates like he did at 2012 Europeans and none of the other guys deliver, then he would clearly be the best bet for Sochi to replace Plushenko.

That was almost 2 years ago and Gachinski has not shown nearly enough consistency. Gachinski would literally have to skate that well to have a shot, and I don't think he has it in him at this point. It's like saying Leonova can make the Russian team since she skated to a silver at the 2012 Worlds.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Besides results of competitions also the coaches of Russia and Officials will gather to decide the spots for Olys, so realistically, if Mishin side prevails he ll send Plushenko out of his team and not Arthur or if it is Tarasova's way she ll send Kovtun. I think none else has a chance.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
That was almost 2 years ago and Gachinski has not shown nearly enough consistency. Gachinski would literally have to skate that well to have a shot, and I don't think he has it in him at this point. It's like saying Leonova can make the Russian team since she skated to a silver at the 2012 Worlds.

Even if Gachinski somehow happens to skate really well at Russian Nationals and Europeans, I still doubt very much that he could repeat it at the Olympics. I agree, he just does not have that in him.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Gachinski would literally have to skate that well to have a shot, and I don't think he has it in him at this point. It's like saying Leonova can make the Russian team since she skated to a silver at the 2012 Worlds.

Who cares if you think they have it in them, it's all about if THEY can peak at the key competitions and how the other competitors will do in comparison. You don't know for sure. Nobody does. Someone can only be counted out when they have a serious injury or are clearly out of shape. Gachinski landed 2 Quads and 2 Triple Axels in his recent LP. Anyone who does that is certainly on the right track, unless the rest of their skating is total crap.

Leonova could still make the Russian team. If she skates her best at Nationals and none of the other ladies are able to hold it together, then she will win Russian Nationals and for sure be sent to Europeans. If that same thing happens at Europeans, then of course the Russian fed will put her on the Olympic team. Obviously the probability is not high, but the possibility exists. That uncertainty is part of what makes sport exciting.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sure then you could say anyone can make the team. Haruka Imai can make the Japanese women's team, and Voronov can make it to Sochi as the Russian men's representative. Right?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Even if Gachinski somehow happens to skate really well at Russian Nationals and Europeans, I still doubt very much that he could repeat it at the Olympics. I agree, he just does not have that in him.

its almost 100% certain Gachinski if he for some reason gets another fluke performance in Nationals and Euros
they will still bypass him as he will bomb the Olympics anyways

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Sure then you could say anyone can make the team. Haruka Imai can make the Japanese women's team, and Voronov can make it to Sochi as the Russian men's representative. Right?

As long as someone has the potential, then the possibility is there. It's a sport. If you deliver and other people don't, you are awarded. Haruka's chances of the Japanese team are tiny, but it's still possible. Asada is the only one who will for sure be sent. If Haruka has the competition of her life at Japanese Nationals and wins the Silver medal, then she will be on the team. YOU don't know what epiphanies or bouts of courage the athletes may suddenly have, combined with others succumbing to fear/pressure. Voronov could certainly be on the Sochi team as well. Again, if any one Russian is clearly ahead of the competition at both Russian Nationals AND Europeans, that would be an undeniable case for them. Voronov has the jumping capability to make it a possible scenario.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm all for supporting skaters but then why not say Gachinski will win the Olympics since there's a possibility that all the other guys will fall.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm all for supporting skaters but then why not say Gachinski will win the Olympics since there's a possibility that all the other guys will fall.

Why not? It's not totally out of the question. Granted, it's not very likely to happen; but as the cliche goes, ice is slippery.

Artur obviously skated well at his most recent competition. If he can carry that form into Nationals, and Kovtun skates poorly like at GPF...remember, he beat Kovtun at Nationals last year while having the worst season of his life.

mielikki

Rinkside
You better talk this way about Voronov. He's getting better and better, learned 3Lz that was missing, added second quad to the FS. He is older and he knows he won't have another Olympic chance. Tutberidze's students are all on fire now. And he placed over Gachinski twice this season. So if the ice is slippery, all Sergei has to do is trade his see-through lingerie for Artur's beautiful costume and rock Sochi.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So if the ice is slippery, all Sergei has to do is trade his see-through lingerie for Artur's beautiful costume and rock Sochi.

:laugh:

I must admit, I do not feel so resentful towards Sergei as I once did, so Sergei going would not be unacceptable to my mind. And Artur is impeccably dressed this year, for once.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Apparently Gachinski did not skate like that.... It does not seem likely that with his 6th place finnish he will skate at the Europeans and even less at the Olympics...

Icey

Record Breaker
You better talk this way about Voronov. He's getting better and better, learned 3Lz that was missing, added second quad to the FS. He is older and he knows he won't have another Olympic chance. Tutberidze's students are all on fire now. And he placed over Gachinski twice this season. So if the ice is slippery, all Sergei has to do is trade his see-through lingerie for Artur's beautiful costume and rock Sochi.

Shouldn't see-through lingerie merit a costume deduction?