2014 US Pacific Coast Sectionals - Oakland CA, Nov 20-23 | Golden Skate

2014 US Pacific Coast Sectionals - Oakland CA, Nov 20-23

Juvenile Girls was won by Starr Andrews. Given how unusual the name is, I assume it's the Starr Andrews of YouTube fame. But if she was 9 at the time of making that video, she is 12 now? If so, a tad old to be performing at that level.

In Senior Ladies, two quite good performances from Vanessa Lam. Rachael Flatt went for a simpler jump layout in the FS. I imagine she just wanted to do enough to qualify. Zhang lost the FS to Diggs but managed to come 4th overall. She's actually landed some triples between both programs this time but still :slink:.

It's sad to see Omori and Zhou out of Senior Men. It's frustrating that an untimely injury (that was what happened?) can end your season. Two very rough skates from Messing. :(

On an opposite note, it's great to see Sean Rabbitt perform to such a high standard! He's a great performer and it's good to see him land most of his jumps as well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Messing was "gifted" it seems by the late withdrawl in the event... at least he gets to go to Boston. This is the roughest season for him in memory. Not sure what all is going on there, but as much as I love that he wants to continue training and living here in Alaska I don't think the support and coaching is big enough here to help him get to that elite level. He has the goods, he just doesn't have the right packaging, nor the push to be more complete. That's just my feeling, I wish Alaska had a bigger program - and one that wasn't so closed off (at least in Anchorage) that there isn't more community support - we're willing, they don't want it though it seems. :no:

nam57

Rinkside
Pacific Coast Senior Ladies don't look so hot. Last year Lam was going to Nationals with the highest score for the year other than Ashley Wagner. She had well over 177. That would still be one of the highest but somehow the new & improved version is 23 points off the pace? Hard to believe the others were once big-time contenders.

Hannah Miller 174.80 (MW1)
Franchesca Chiera 172.78 (E1)
Ashley Cain 164.50 (MW2)
Barbie Long 157.45 (MW3)
Mariah Bell 154.91 (MW3)
Vanessa Lam 154.60 (PC1)
Kiri Baga 151.84 (E2)
Rachael Flatt 148.23 (PC2)
Leah Keiser 145.63 (PC3)
Joelle Forte 138.91 (E3)
Yasmin Siraj 138.93 (E4)
Caroline Zhang 133.94 (PC4)

gkelly

Record Breaker
There is a minimum age for Open Juv, which is the same as the maximum age for Juvenile. It always used to be under 13 (as of Sept. 1), until a couple years ago it was raised to under 14.

There is no maximum age for Open Juv.

macy

Record Breaker
There is a minimum age for Open Juv, which is the same as the maximum age for Juvenile. It always used to be under 13 (as of Sept. 1), until a couple years ago it was raised to under 14.

There is no maximum age for Open Juv.

Ah ok thanks for the info. I knew it was something along those lines.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Messing was "gifted" it seems by the late withdrawl in the event... at least he gets to go to Boston. This is the roughest season for him in memory. Not sure what all is going on there, but as much as I love that he wants to continue training and living here in Alaska I don't think the support and coaching is big enough here to help him get to that elite level. He has the goods, he just doesn't have the right packaging, nor the push to be more complete. That's just my feeling, I wish Alaska had a bigger program - and one that wasn't so closed off (at least in Anchorage) that there isn't more community support - we're willing, they don't want it though it seems. :no:

I keep thinking something else is going on with Messing. I don't think this is just coaching or environment. I think this is Messing - maybe a lack of drive or desire this year. Then again, maybe it's a nagging injury.