Article on Yuna Kim: "Skating queen fully healed" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Article on Yuna Kim: "Skating queen fully healed"

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Glad to hear her recovery.
Oh and some people really need to let go of their nonsense against this "absence."
Yuna said she had an injury, respect the skater by wishing for a recovery, not "oh she's faking" type of crap.

^^^
THIS! I prefer to give Yuna the benefit of the doubt. A young lady who is always so generous with charities has some integrity imo. Some people here seem to be all but calling Kim a liar without any proof whatsoever that she's faking it.

cosmos

On the Ice
Please think that at Sochi Yuna will skate SP in an early group again because she has not accumulated ranking points competing in GP series.
http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

Yes. If YuNa has sufficient ranking points to skate in the last two groups, the "strategy" may be better. But, skating early is not an advantage at all. And, YuNa was always straightforward in her statements. When she said she would participate in a certain competition, she did. She never used any trick.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
If she did two events she'd have to do the final, too. It is a lot of travel. No one said there was no injury. It just was not major. We know that if it was serious, they'd never let on, as Mao camp would go sky high. She did not want to do 3 competitions, travel, risk real injury, further injury. It is exactly what happened last year. She saw how hugely she scored coming back for worlds. There is also a lot of superstition and the strategy was perfect last year. YuNa was cool as a cucumber at Worlds. She's done all this for years. She knows she does not need to get her programs out there. She'd rather stay home in her rink, train every day, do ner nationals, and a senior b have no stress about other skaters and let loose in Sochi.

It is clearly better strategy to do what she did last year-so obvious. She'll win easily. She only need be clean. And she'll win by 20 points. The judges told her that last year at worlds. She would be crazy to do the GPF season when she can get out with small injury. Everyone honest expected her to be 100 percent before her Nationals or senior B. Its a done deal, unless she falls and Julia is perfect. Even then they likely go with YuNa. I don't think the other vets have it in the bag at all. Mao may podium, but Caro? Oly is never her event. Ashley is not a veteran Olympian. She may be very nervous. I hope not.

Since you are such a genius for strategy. How would you strategize her Olympic Campaign if she is to be most disadvantaged at this Olympic cycle compare to her competitors?

lcd

Match Penalty
It will still be the Olympics, the biggest event. And she will be "defending" a title, which is always said to be more difficult than winning the first time.
Sounds like she will be fit as expected. I expect strong performances. Let the Games begin.

Peach

Rinkside
Strategy or not, I'm glad that she has fully recovered. I want all the top skaters to give everything they've got! I can't wait to see her programs

Peach

Rinkside
Ashley is not a veteran Olympian. She may be very nervous. I hope not.

Oh I hope so too. I would love it if she gets on the podium... she's a fighter. I like Julia more, but I would love to see Ashely medal. Julia is still incredibly young, but this is probably Ashley's last chance to win an olympic medal

Ambivalent

On the Ice
It's crazy to think that the reigning world champion doesn't have enough points to be at least seeded for the SP.

Going early may either lowball her, or it could spook the other competitors if she goes clean. We'll see.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's crazy to think that the reigning world champion doesn't have enough points to be at least seeded for the SP.

It shows what a complete farce the `ranking`system is. Anyway I dont think skating early will hurt her. Last year her short program score was low as the program was a dud, she messed up one of her spins, and she got a ridiculous lip call. That and the judges had not seen her in 2 years. None of that will be true this year. A clean skate will yield 75+ for sure this time.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Oh, I doubt skating early will affect her chances. Recall Shen and Zhao skated first in the SP in Vancouver and it didn't seem to hurt them all that badly. :biggrin:

She's Yu Na Kim. If she lays down the performance, she'll get the marks.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Oh, I doubt skating early will affect her chances. Recall Shen and Zhao skated first in the SP in Vancouver and it didn't seem to hurt them all that badly. :biggrin:

She's Yu Na Kim. If she lays down the performance, she'll get the marks.

Agreed, especially after worlds last year. The judges weren't as generous in the SP at worlds as they usually are b/c they hadn't seen her compete in two years and wanted to ease her back into her top position rather than hand it over...they made her work a little bit and that's okay. I thought she was slightly underscored but not egregiously so. Of course by the end of the competition she was right back to Queen status so no harm no foul.

Of course that won't be the case this time b/c she won worlds in a very convincing fashion and everyone knows without a doubt she is the top dog again. If she hits her SP in Sochi she'll score in the 73-75 range and be right in the mix with the competitors in the latter groups.

hikarikame

Spectator
Yuna was apparently nervous during Zagreb, so if she can master her Sochi programs with the confidence she had at World's, she will take gold. All she has to do is fulfil her potential.