Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Article on Yuna Kim: "Skating queen fully healed"

If she did two events she'd have to do the final, too. It is a lot of travel. No one said there was no injury. It just was not major. We know that if it was serious, they'd never let on, as Mao camp would go sky high. She did not want to do 3 competitions, travel, risk real injury, further injury. It is exactly what happened last year. She saw how hugely she scored coming back for worlds. There is also a lot of superstition and the strategy was perfect last year. YuNa was cool as a cucumber at Worlds. She's done all this for years. She knows she does not need to get her programs out there. She'd rather stay home in her rink, train every day, do ner nationals, and a senior b have no stress about other skaters and let loose in Sochi.

It is clearly better strategy to do what she did last year-so obvious. She'll win easily. She only need be clean. And she'll win by 20 points. The judges told her that last year at worlds. She would be crazy to do the GPF season when she can get out with small injury. Everyone honest expected her to be 100 percent before her Nationals or senior B. Its a done deal, unless she falls and Julia is perfect. Even then they likely go with YuNa. I don't think the other vets have it in the bag at all. Mao may podium, but Caro? Oly is never her event. Ashley is not a veteran Olympian. She may be very nervous. I hope not.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    Seems there are a few people here that take it as a given that YuNa's injury is somehow part of her strategy. Really? If this is the case then she must be either delusional or an EXTREMELY arrogant young woman knowing the caliber of her competition and how much they would be honing their programs with each competition this Olympic year. Now add the wild card of Julia making a splash this season. Also, recall the judging of her short program this last Worlds'... you know she remembers how the judges were NOT as enthusiastic about her skate as she would have hoped and it was only because her free skate was so well done that the judges scored her appropriately then (my opinion). There are pros and cons for either "strategy" but remember if she wins her first competition this year but looks rough doing it then THAT is what the judges are going to remember. No other competitions other than the Olympics for the judges to rethink their opinions of her programs. Very risky and convoluted thinking if true. The best strategy is to recognize reputation has to be earned EVERY season and she is the best at garnering good reputation so why would she do something else so risky? In a word, nonsense.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Why would it have been necessary for Yu Na to have some excuse if she simply didn't want to do the Grand Prix? Would she not have just been able to say she was opting not to do it?
    IIRC, I believe that all eligible skaters who are picked for GP assignments are obligated to compete. Simply backing down by saying "No, I don't want to," isn't allowed, at least not without some sort of penalty.

However, I'm no figure skating expert, I'm more of a layman's fan, lol, so someone please correct me if I have that completely wrong.

Glad to hear her recovery.
    Oh and some people really need to let go of their nonsense against this "absence."
    Yuna said she had an injury, respect the skater by wishing for a recovery, not "oh she's faking" type of crap.

Banned
    This is so shocking!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Glad to hear her recovery.
    Oh and some people really need to let go of their nonsense against this "absence."
    Yuna said she had an injury, respect the skater by wishing for a recovery, not "oh she's faking" type of crap.
    ^^^
    THIS! I prefer to give Yuna the benefit of the doubt. A young lady who is always so generous with charities has some integrity imo. Some people here seem to be all but calling Kim a liar without any proof whatsoever that she's faking it.

Please think that at Sochi Yuna will skate SP in an early group again because she has not accumulated ranking points competing in GP series.
    http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    Please think that at Sochi Yuna will skate SP in an early group again because she has not accumulated ranking points competing in GP series.
    Yes. If YuNa has sufficient ranking points to skate in the last two groups, the "strategy" may be better. But, skating early is not an advantage at all. And, YuNa was always straightforward in her statements. When she said she would participate in a certain competition, she did. She never used any trick.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    If she did two events she'd have to do the final, too. It is a lot of travel. No one said there was no injury. It just was not major. We know that if it was serious, they'd never let on, as Mao camp would go sky high. She did not want to do 3 competitions, travel, risk real injury, further injury. It is exactly what happened last year. She saw how hugely she scored coming back for worlds. There is also a lot of superstition and the strategy was perfect last year. YuNa was cool as a cucumber at Worlds. She's done all this for years. She knows she does not need to get her programs out there. She'd rather stay home in her rink, train every day, do ner nationals, and a senior b have no stress about other skaters and let loose in Sochi.

It is clearly better strategy to do what she did last year-so obvious. She'll win easily. She only need be clean. And she'll win by 20 points. The judges told her that last year at worlds. She would be crazy to do the GPF season when she can get out with small injury. Everyone honest expected her to be 100 percent before her Nationals or senior B. Its a done deal, unless she falls and Julia is perfect. Even then they likely go with YuNa. I don't think the other vets have it in the bag at all. Mao may podium, but Caro? Oly is never her event. Ashley is not a veteran Olympian. She may be very nervous. I hope not.
    Since you are such a genius for strategy. How would you strategize her Olympic Campaign if she is to be most disadvantaged at this Olympic cycle compare to her competitors?

Custom Title
    It will still be the Olympics, the biggest event. And she will be "defending" a title, which is always said to be more difficult than winning the first time.
    Sounds like she will be fit as expected. I expect strong performances. Let the Games begin.

Strategy or not, I'm glad that she has fully recovered. I want all the top skaters to give everything they've got! I can't wait to see her programs

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Ashley is not a veteran Olympian. She may be very nervous. I hope not.
    Oh I hope so too. I would love it if she gets on the podium... she's a fighter. I like Julia more, but I would love to see Ashely medal. Julia is still incredibly young, but this is probably Ashley's last chance to win an olympic medal

Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    Oh I hope they let her skate in the last group because her scores would be lowballed again... It'll probably be higher than the worlds, but her PCS is not going to be as high as it should be.

Custom Title
    It's crazy to think that the reigning world champion doesn't have enough points to be at least seeded for the SP.

Going early may either lowball her, or it could spook the other competitors if she goes clean. We'll see.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambivalent View Post
    It's crazy to think that the reigning world champion doesn't have enough points to be at least seeded for the SP.
    It shows what a complete farce the `ranking`system is. Anyway I dont think skating early will hurt her. Last year her short program score was low as the program was a dud, she messed up one of her spins, and she got a ridiculous lip call. That and the judges had not seen her in 2 years. None of that will be true this year. A clean skate will yield 75+ for sure this time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast