IS Global warming reversible? Are these the "end of times." | Golden Skate

IS Global warming reversible? Are these the "end of times."

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I have read it is not. I suffer terribly in 6 months of humidity on top of all else. Every cleric from every religion has an opinion on how much longer the majority will last on this planet.

I read about apparitions. 32 years mary has come daily to people in Croatia. Not much substance but a huge "calling back" to catholics and other Christians who have lapsed, and everyone in general. Main message was "God exists." Then 5 things she wanted us all to do. Naturally, I failed.

But I just saw a special on Israel. I see all these protestant scholars, clerics etc saying these are the end of days. They say natural disasters/climate changes are killing more than all diseases. Apparently they mean natural disasters and all the climate extremes killing children, sick, elderly exposed to climate extremes.

There are millions of sites saying this century will see the extinction of most life on earth, including us. I know I'll be gone before that. We likely have younger people here now, as lots of older FS fans in US lost interest after IJS and retirement of Kwan, Cohen and the old favorites. Apparently FS is an elite sport, and the masses cannot relate, nor want to even watch.

It seems most Americans are working two and three jobs, trying to survive.

I wonder what you all think,??? Will we live in domes, will the healthiest colonize some planet eventually? If you are religious, do you feel the messiah (Jeshua) is to return?

Is the earth just too far gone? And will shrinking assets, people as serfs lead to massive unrests or a huge war over energy (oil) we are all addicted to?

I do not see how we can survive with polar caps melting. I just wonder how long, and what will resourceful humans try to survive? It seems like Mother nature the more she is attacked, rises up with earthquakes, typhoons, mega storms, hurricanes. What have we done????

People in the future will have to deal with the consequences of global warming, that's for sure. The kind of changes that we have seen over the past couple of decades usually take place over thousands and tens of thousands of years, when they occur as part of earth's natural cycle.

But as for the "millions of Internet sites predicting the end of the world," these folks don't know anything more than you and I do, they're just talking. (Do not send in any money! ;) ) Serious scriptural scholars will tell you that the only thing for sure about the end of the world is, "No one knoweth the hour or the day, not even the angels of heaven" :)

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Theories, superstitions, predictions, etc. If you recall the world was supposed to have come to an end last Dec. 2012. So many psychics predicted it but we're still here. Homo sapiens are quite adaptable as are many other species.

At this stage, it seems it's too late to reverse the effects. Technology is constantly evolving so you never know.

When I think of this, what comes to my mind is the 'humans as viruses' metaphor used in 'The Matrix.' We're so focused on selfish short-term gain, we're doing an excellent job of destroying this planet and the human race together with it. :/

Theories, superstitions, predictions, etc. If you recall the world was supposed to have come to an end last Dec. 2012. So many psychics predicted it but we're still here. Homo sapiens are quite adaptable as are many other species.

You can't seriously be comparing climate change to the Mayan prophecies...

(There is now a strong consensus in the scientific community, supported by vast volumes of various data, for the former and there isn't a single scientific body of national and international standing that disagrees with the view that it exists and is man-made)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It isn't the first time that people have, with the assistance of climate changes, made a large area of the planet uninhabitable. Northern Africa used to be the grain belt for the Roman Empire. Today's Sahara Desert is a lot bigger than it was then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_supply_to_the_city_of_Rome

People move, cities are abandoned, the north of Canada, Russia & Alaska will become more desirable places to live. Florida will get a lot smaller as oceans rise. This is not the end of the world, it's change. Ziggy is right, the speed of the change is what is new.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
YES, ZIGGY, while merry widow is delightfully optimistic (a fun filled life is my guess, merry!) you might want to do a little on your own research into climate change. The Mayan prophecy was really kind of hijacked. They never said the end of the world was on that date. The mayans disappeared. I do not know exactly why or the posited reason from experts. But likely someone on this amazing board does, or will research. There seems to be a huge amount of eveidence for global warming happening at an alarming rate. I can tell you 30 years ago in New England, Mass. in particular, we seem to have four distinct seasons, and we did not have a disaster every day in the USA or other coountries, that was climate related.

We know have humidity that I associated with the south, FLA my only real southern living to compare. The lobbyists for coal, oil, etc are the only ones still vainly looking for evidence that conflicts the vast knowledge re global warming. The experts are only surprised that it is happening much faster than they predicted even 10 years ago.

So, we are seeing a huge mess of disasters aforementioned. Will the richest live in climate controlled domes in remote areas judged to be safe? I wonder what the billionaires that are younger or have kids/grandkids are planning or actually doing in secret. The CEO of Exxon-Mobil for example likely has something aamazing, ironically as he gets flthy rich denying greenhouse gasses trapped in our atmosphere.

As for the religious perspective, have the older gsers read much? Mathman is right about the bible saying only God the Father as he is referred to knowing exact time and date.

I wanted to share with those believers and unbelievers a set of books, all best sellers NYTimes by a survivor of the Rwandan Genocide in 1994. I just purchased" Left to Tell" and "The Boy who saw Jesus" ( I should check the tiles and will correct when I get up.) She wrotr an Amazing book I read in 2009 called, " Our Lady of Kibeho." I think this is a great gift for evry believer or non believer on your list. It is delightful -the childhood story of Imaculee Illibigiza, who recounted her faith, the apparitions of Mary and the Rwandan genocide (a bit in this last book.

At the time, the Catholic world seemed mopre entranced with the Marian apparitions in Yugoslavia, which began to 6 kids in 1981. I know it got my attention in 1989, and then I learned about the accepted apparitions such as Lourdes, Fatima, Guadeloupe. It opened a world of fascination to me who knew nothing, whose catholic education was very poor.

It offered incredible proof, especially Zeitoun, Egypt apparitions that were filmed in 1968-1971 and can be seen on youtube, that Mary existed, visited often and to my poor faith, if she was "real" so was Jesus, the Bible etc.

With what I carry, esp. now, I must look to the proof, the amazing stories, her many amazing visits, and the far fewer visits of Jesus.

He appeared in 1981 to an illiterate, pagan teenage boy named Segatashya. Sadly, he was murdered in the genocide, and many who knew him. Imaculee seems spared to write all these books. She has amazing faith, despite having lost her parents and two brothers. I envy her familial love, her faith, her idyllic life until this evil destroyed her homeland. Her survival was miraculous. I highly recommend 'Our Lady of Kibeho.' which was (the site) approved by Vatican. The first/only approved marian shrine/site in all Africa.

Segata was given the chrsitian name Emanuel (literally God with us). He was told by Jesus that his return was coming soon, and that the "end of days" was approaching. Sadly, Imaculee's home was burnt down, and the interviews and original tapes of his amazing chats with jesus were gone. But Imacculee was a brilliant student and trained as an engineer (she had death threats even until 1998-so she and her family moved to NYC where she worked for UN). After her first book came out, she was in huge demand for speaking tours, which only multiplied all over the world -she has written at least four books to date, 3 of which I have read. The two about the genocide, her survival, her journey to forgiveness for those who murdered her family are tough for my frail heart. If you are easily upset, I recommend her book about the first apparitions and her lovely childhood in the heart of Africa, and the book about Emanuel's life and talks with Jesus.

Jesus did tell him the world would end by fire. he did not say when, as he said he did not know. For those struggling with faithn in God, or Jesus, I find these books inform, edify and uplift. Many will give gifts they buy tomorrow that the recipient doesn't even need. I forget much, so re=reading about the Kibeho apparitions in the 80's was wonderful. And yes, the visionaries were given visions of rivers running with blood a decade before it happened. Mary had apparitions that were broadcast on Radio Rwanda, a very poor place, and the teenage visionaries alledgedly also had messages for the govt who helped fuel the ethnic hatred that led the larger tribe to try to destroy the minority tribe. But I guess despite all the interest in these apparitions, the publicity, and messages for govt officals about changing their ways, it was not not enough, and 1994 saw 1 million butchered in 3 months time.

Imaculee came to my city but I guess I missed it. Her life's mission I travelling, speaking, writing about her faith and all that transpired. Amazing stuff.

I do believe that other apparitions have talked about revelation being accurate. Israel became a nation in 1947, and that is one of the signs of the return of the Lord, as we call him.

For many reasons, I am very concerned about the next life and what has been written, spoken etc by a vast spectrum of believers and even non believers.

So, that is some background-my access and attention to catholic books on medjugorje, Rwanda etc that seem to say it is coming, and the nightly news which is tragic and scary.

Can we reverse the damage done to earth at this point? I honestly do not know, as I have not had time to read extensively.

If there are any other Christians, catholics interested in the various ways we are being warned, I hope they weigh in. I suspect we have many young fold here, busy with climbing ladders, working hard. We also, maybe have many Asians who may never have read the Bible and have no interest in prophetic books, but clearly see the litany of disasters grow daily. It is very sobering. I hope people will take part in discussion with what they may be reading/studying. May it turn on a light re the religious aspects of discussion and what the young generation may be doing to reverse the global warming trends.

It is harming us all. What can be done?

I have found it best to give a wide berth to people who are visited by ghosts and apparitions.

But as to the long-term survival prospects of the human race, I give it a 50-50 chance that we might be able to send out colonists to other worlds some day. Most -- perhaps all -- of the 300 billion stars in the galaxy have planets. Many somewhat earth-like planets have been detected indirectly, and a couple have actually been imaged. Takes a long time to get there, though -- time measured in generations. For that matter, we could just stay on our artificial world-spaceships. Maybe, as in Wall-E, eventually the earth will cool off and we can come back. :yes:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The only way to reverse climate change and global warming, is if there is the political will to make it so. And there isn't.

Politicians are not in power long enough to care about such long term things. They are largely under the control of Big Business and High Finance - and those fat cats want profits now, don't care about the future. Some are downright corrupt, in some countries. Furthermore, the people in power (and those behind them) are in a position to simply move on when the climate-induced disasters strike - it's the ordinary people who will suffer.

The only way they will care, and do something about it... is if ordinary people MAKE them care. But ordinary people are too lazy and unwilling to act, or change their lifestyles. Add to that the clever seeding of "climate sceptics" (even finding the odd crackpot "scientist" that will stand on their side) into the media etc.... by fat cats catering to their own interests, by the ignorant, by the stupid... and plenty of ordinary people will choose to believe them, since that is the path of least resistance. In other words, ordinary people are not going to make their governments act - at least, not until it is way, way, way too late and disaster is already upon them. Which will be Real Soon Now.

Edit: Actually there is another way to make Them care: find a way to make action against global warming and climate change... profitable. Then They'll be all over it.

Is it the "End of Times"? Who knows? But it's surely the beginning of "The End Of Life As We Know It". It is our children (literally, I mean kids who are born about now) who will likely suffer the most, fight in wars over access to water, etc etc.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes, water is a huge problem, and I used to give to charities that dug well. Access to clean water is a huge problem in many areas of the world. Is is heartbreaking to know such a basic need goes unmet. I buy bottled water due to having my health ruined by an injected chemical. I do not know if "Poland Springs" really comes from good springs. I do know it has an after taste just like tap water, but not as strong. I know the FDA does not "have money" to test and track all our food and water sources which seems amazing. We have seen our resources squandered on wars and high level corruption.

Evian is so expensive but is tasteless-which is what water should be-tasteless and refreshing.

I have finished reading about Segatashya, "the boy who met Jesus. Imaculee did a wonderful job detailing his short life giving talks in Rwanda, Zaire and Burundi and how perilous it was...but again and again miraculous things happened to allow him free transit in very dangerous places like the Congo. That was the eighties.

He told everyone Jesus warned that religious wars would break out and never end, and the Earth would get very hot, leading to famines, fights over food. Most would wish for life to end. It is hard to read this, and see the beginnings of all this. I will begin a book thread to see what people are reading.