Katarina Witt's Schindlers List vs Julia"s | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Katarina Witt's Schindlers List vs Julia"s

miki88

Medalist
I compare Julia's program to an "oscar bait" movie, a film that clearly wants to win the Oscar. Rather than being a truly great program, I feel it is more like her team tried to tailor everything, including her costume, to be "OGM" worthy. It is a good strategy that might just work in the end.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In an interview, Julia said she didn't know much about what the girl in the red dress meant. So I think Mathman is right.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
In an interview, Julia said she didn't know much about what the girl in the red dress meant. So I think Mathman is right.

It's more of a red coat than a red dress. It's odd that Julia wouldn't know what the meaning was behind the girl considering that she has seen the film "Schindler's List" 'many times' per her coach Eter Tutberidze: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...kaya-and-Voronov-s-coach)-at-Finlandia-Trophy

Julia also chose the music herself. The original interview is here: :http://rsport.ru/interview/20131007/692235409.html

Julia's coach was right when she said 'there were children on that list'. Of course children suffered the tragedy of the Holocaust. I don't agree with those who say that a 15 year old doesn't have enough insight or maturity to express the music and the story behind it. I think Julia is doing a brilliant job and I can see her winning Olympic gold with this program if the stars align just right.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I compare Julia's program to an "oscar bait" movie, a film that clearly wants to win the Oscar. Rather than being a truly great program, I feel it is more like her team tried to tailor everything, including her costume, to be "OGM" worthy. It is a good strategy that might just work in the end.

Oh please... what she is doing is no different than what the majority are doing.

Why do you think Mao brought back her Nocturne, Patrick bring his Elegie, Hanyu bring back Parisienne, and now Carolina is contemplating bring back her old winning programs. The intention from them is far more strategic, artificial and safe than Julia here, who get to picked her own music on a visceral level and some how miraculously made it work. Her stuff is actually something we haven't seen or expected before from her, a vast improvement which can only be a good thing..

Icey

Record Breaker

Could you give the link to that interview? I would be really surprised if her choreographer didn't explain it to her what the girl in red was about. Maybe Julia meant at the beginning when she started training the program. I feel sure she understands now.

elif

Medalist
Could you give the link to that interview? I would be really surprised if her choreographer didn't explain it to her what the girl in red was about. Maybe Julia meant at the beginning when she started training the program. I feel sure she understands now.

I don't know why this poster said she didn't know the character. :confused: Her choreographer İlia Averbukh said she chose the music herself.

http://mosfigurist.ru/?p=1131
Ususally I find the music myself, but sometimes the skater has already found something and wants to skate only to certain music. It happened this year with Julia Lipnitskaya: she wanted the free program to the Schindler's list soundtrack. It was her ultimate desire. Her coach, Eteri Tutberidze, and I didn't agree, and I personally tired to dissuade her decision, because I thought it was too serious music for a little girl. But Julia was adamant, and Eteri and I decided: if she insists on that, we should listen to her, so that the athlete feels confident skating her program, if she is in love with the music so much. As a result, I found a way to avoid making the program too dramatic, to the extent it is at all possible, considering the story behind the movie. Of course, the viewers can have different opinions about her free program: does it suit her, isn't it too early for her to skate to this music (I asked myself all these questions), but in the end, the program turned out very interesting.
Music for the short program was my suggestion, even though the song to this music is also definitely not childish. But if for us it is a love story, because we know the lyrics, for foreigners it's just a piece of beautiful music. It allowed me to get away from the story in the song and create my own. It is about the girl who draws her dreams on the sand and the rain washes them away, and it makes her sad, but she draws again and again. I think it is such a touching story of a girl we told by means of choreography, and the way Julia performs it, it has an amazing charm. I think it won't left anyone indifferent.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov's WJC and GPF FD is just beyond breathtaking to me. Difficult to compare the interpretation of a grown woman to that of a child. This doesn't make much sense to me. It's like comparing apples and oranges. It's either you appreciate an interpretation or not.

miki88

Medalist
Oh please... what she is doing is no different than what the majority are doing.

Why do you think Mao brought back her Nocturne, Patrick bring his Elegie, Hanyu bring back Parisienne, and now Carolina is contemplating bring back her old winning programs. The intention from them is far more strategic, artificial and safe than Julia here, who get to picked her own music on a visceral level and some how miraculously made it work. Her stuff is actually something we haven't seen or expected before from her, a vast improvement which can only be a good thing..

I disagree. This is the type of music that is quite suited for her style, as many people have mentioned already on this forum. It's serious music skated by a skater who usually has a pretty serious expression. I didn't say it wasn't a good program, just not that amazing and original. If she were to skate to more lively or upbeat music, then I would find it more unexpected.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
They suit her because the program works. She did sabre dance and the nutcracker last year which are hardly soft and lyrical. How would you describe them? I think you might have confused her with another skater.