Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: GPF Daisuke out, Oda in

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Forget sochi people, Dai has to make it out of Japanese Nationals and that is a month a way isn't it????
    Yah, that!

While he's never been a favorite of mine, I hate to see this happen to anybody that seems to be at the peak of their game and it being his last year probably. I do hope he recovers. I was really looking forward to the Japanese Nationals and the extreme competition that is looming among the Japanese men.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    This is no different compared to U.S. Nationals where only the U.S. Champion is guaranteed a spot. In contrast, JSF has established a clearer protocol with more details. Most of the time, both tend to follow the Nationals' results regardless.
    I think, though, that historically the U.S. has followed the 1-2-3 at nationals pretty strictly, while Japan has experimented with point systems giving weight to international competitions like the Grand Prix and Four Continents.

By the way, for the Olympics (unlike Worlds) even the U.S. champion is not guaranteed a spot by the USFSA bylaws.

Custom Title
    Although the rules did not state it I also cant imagine the JSF leaving off the GPF Champion should one of the three Japanese win there. I dont expect one of them to win the GPF, but if it ever happened, that person would be on the team IMO, even if they bomb Nationals. If one of Oda or Machida won the GPF, and the other won Nationals, they would be forced to leave one of Takahashi or Hanyu off the team essentialy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think, though, that historically the U.S. has followed the 1-2-3 at nationals pretty strictly, while Japan has experimented with point systems giving weight to international competitions like the Grand Prix and Four Continents.

By the way, for the Olympics (unlike Worlds) even the U.S. champion is not guaranteed a spot by the USFSA bylaws.
    This year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

For the Olympics, I think the lack of guarantee is only due to the technicality that USFS can "recommend" to the USOC and it is USOC who needs to register the athletes' participation with IOC, hence, USFS can technically not guarantee the U.S. Champion's entry as a result.

Another reason, if I understand correctly, is due to the citizenship requirement for the Olympics. USFS and ISU do not require a skater to be a U.S. citizen in order to compete on behalf of the U.S. so long they fulfill the other requirements such as waiting period. Since USFS does not have citizenship requirement, the responsibility falls on USOC. In the unlikely event that the U.S. Champion happens not to have U.S. citizenship, they are essentially protecting themselves from lawsuits in case the disgruntled skater decides to sue by pointing out USFS's own by-laws guaranteeing his/her spot. And this kind of lawsuit has happened before in Britain, not about the citizenship but for their national selection process and alleged discrimination - the case landed in court and it got quite ugly.

In practice, the USFS would have identified any elite level prospects who don't have U.S. citizenship and assist them to resolve it prior to U.S. Nationals. Tanith Belbin was a good example. However, this is not always possible especially in singles skating because results there can fluctuate quite surprisingly. In any event, if a U.S. Champion is not U.S. citizen, USFS will not recommend their names to USOC. Or they may forward his/her name anyway but with the implicit understanding that the USOC cannot register them.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    For the Olympics, I think the lack of guarantee is only due to the technicality that USFS can "recommend" to the USOC and it is USOC who needs to register the athletes' participation with IOC, hence, USFS can technically not guarantee the U.S. Champion's entry as a result.
    Disagree. According to its published rules, US Figure Skating is not obligated to even recommend the national champion to the USOC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Disagree. According to its published rules, US Figure Skating is not obligated to even recommend the national champion to the USOC.
    And the chance of that happening unless due to citizenship or fraud or the said skater has committed a crime, is as remote as an asteroid hitting Earth tomorrow - read, it ain't happening.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    And the chance of that happening unless due to citizenship or fraud or the said skater has committed a crime, is as remote as an asteroid hitting Earth tomorrow - read, it ain't happening.
    LOL, so parsing the US Figure Skating rules is constructive only when you're the one doing it -- as in your previous post?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Kozuka

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Although the rules did not state it I also cant imagine the JSF leaving off the GPF Champion should one of the three Japanese win there. I dont expect one of them to win the GPF, but if it ever happened, that person would be on the team IMO, even if they bomb Nationals. If one of Oda or Machida won the GPF, and the other won Nationals, they would be forced to leave one of Takahashi or Hanyu off the team essentialy.
    That happened to Miki Ando in 2009-2010, didn't it? She came in second at the GPF behind Yuna Kim and then dropped to fourth at Nationals. Yet, her Olympic team placement had already been decided the moment she became the "highest" ranked Japanese female at GPF that year.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

Takahashi withdraws from GPF

Custom Title
    A good chance Dai won't make it to Sochi imo.

♥ My Mirai's Golden Pond ♥ Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    I'm so bummed about Dai. I wish for him a full and speedy recovery!

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    A good chance Dai won't make it to Sochi imo.
    What makes you say that? I guess we'll have to wait and see. I am a Chan fan, but Dai is my second favorite male skater and I hope he can skate well at the Sochi Olympics as a cap on his amazing career. Is Dai likely to skip 2014 Worlds?

I was looking forward to Patrick and Dai skating against each other at the GPF but unfortunately that won't happen now. Wishing Dai a speedy recovery!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3