GPF Daisuke out, Oda in | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GPF Daisuke out, Oda in

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I was kind of 'expecting' something like this to happen. For Daisuke, I think it's smart. At this stage in his career, Japanese Nationals and making the team means an immeasurable amount more than any placement at the Grand Prix Final.

GPF placement is a factor in how the JSF chooses its Olympic team. If Machida or Oda perform well at the Finals, then Daisuke will need a blowout performance at nationals to secure a spot.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I was kind of 'expecting' something like this to happen. For Daisuke, I think it's smart. At this stage in his career, Japanese Nationals and making the team means an immeasurable amount more than any placement at the Grand Prix Final.

What are you trying to imply ...

Japanese Olympic team selections aren't like U.S. ones, by the way. Performing at GPF would boost Daisuke's chances of being on the team if he blows Nationals (knock on wood that he doesn't!).

starryxskies

On the Ice
What are you trying to imply ...

Japanese Olympic team selections aren't like U.S. ones, by the way. Performing at GPF would boost Daisuke's chances of being on the team if he blows Nationals (knock on wood that he doesn't!).
I think the implication is that he should save his mental and physical strength for the competitions that matter. GPF is nothing compared to nationals and Olympics. Last season, his bests were at GPF and nationals. He's already won his long awaited gold GPF medal, nothing left to strive for. It's a blessing in disguise I think if he's able to get back into tip top form by nationals

I think the top Japanese man in the Grand Prix Finals, if he medals, gets an automatic ticket to the Olympics. Is this right?

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I think the top Japanese man in the Grand Prix Finals, if he medals, gets an automatic ticket to the Olympics. Is this right?

One thing to remember, though - the selection process will NOT be based solely on the Japanese Nationals.

Here's the link to a pdf document listing the Olympic figure skating team selection criteria (in Japanese): http://skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2013/130619_FS_senkokijun.pdf

Rough translation:

The Olympic Team of Men and Ladies single will be announced at the end of Japanese Nationals.
The team will be decided from among the Olympic qualifiers by the following selecting method:

1. The first spot will be awarded to the winner of the Japanese Nationals.
2. The second spot will be awarded to a skater chosen from the following pool: the winner of the silver medal at Japanese Nationals, the winner of the bronze medal at Japanese Nationals and the skater who placed the highest on the podium at the Grand Prix final.
3. The third spot will be awarded to a skater chosen from the following pool: the skater qualified in point 2 but was not chosen, 3 skaters who will have the highest World standing at the moment of the Japanese Nationals, 3 skaters with the highest ISU season best score.

So basically, only the winner of the Japanese Nationals is certain to get a spot (and even that might possibly be influenced by the skater's international success, as the judges are more likely to give high PCS/GoEs to a skater who proved their consistency). If the second place winner has no high international standing, his season PB is lower than 3rd best and he didn't make the GPF, he might find himself booted off the team.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ich-three-Japanese-men-will-go-to-Sochi/page2

So were looking at the winner of nationals, the best grand prix performance/silver or bronze at nationals, and someone who has a strong world ranking/ISU score while fulfilling the other requirements.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow. So even if Oda wins the GPF, and places 2nd at Japanese nationals, he still might not go.

Say the GPF is 1) Oda 2) Chan 3) Hanyu (unlikely but still)... and Japanese Nationals goes like:

1st - Yuzu
2nd - Oda
3rd - Machida
4th - Takahashi

They could still theoretically choose Hanyu for winning Japanese nationals; then Machida for placing 3rd; then Takahashi for having one of the 3 highest ISU season scores.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ohhhhhhhh. I hope he will be ok. I will mis him at GPF, but hope this is not serious and he needs rest. Chan will win anyway, so its probably better he does not face anyone til Japanese Nationals. Now Im worried he won't make team. Sending him best vibes.

wallylutz

Medalist
Wow. So even if Oda wins the GPF, and places 2nd at Japanese nationals, he still might not go.

Say the GPF is 1) Oda 2) Chan 3) Hanyu (unlikely but still)... and Japanese Nationals goes like:

1st - Yuzu
2nd - Oda
3rd - Machida
4th - Takahashi

They could still theoretically choose Hanyu for winning Japanese nationals; then Machida for placing 3rd; then Takahashi for having one of the 3 highest ISU season scores.

This is no different compared to U.S. Nationals where only the U.S. Champion is guaranteed a spot. In contrast, JSF has established a clearer protocol with more details. Most of the time, both tend to follow the Nationals' results regardless.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

1st - Yuzu
2nd - Oda
3rd - Machida
4th - Takahashi

They wouldnt do that. If Oda beat Machida at both events he would go for sure. Machida remember has never been to a Worlds, so the JSF isnt going to protect him if he doesnt produce in the next 2 events. He has an edge on Oda right now based on the grand prix results and scores, but still needs to beat Oda in 1 of the 2 events I am pretty sure.

I wonder if Hanyu comes last of the 3 Japanese men at the GPF if his spot is even in danger based on how he does at Nationals though. Takahashi`s spot is ironically probably safer by WDing.

noskates

Record Breaker
Forget sochi people, Dai has to make it out of Japanese Nationals and that is a month a way isn't it????

Yah, that!

While he's never been a favorite of mine, I hate to see this happen to anybody that seems to be at the peak of their game and it being his last year probably. I do hope he recovers. I was really looking forward to the Japanese Nationals and the extreme competition that is looming among the Japanese men.

This is no different compared to U.S. Nationals where only the U.S. Champion is guaranteed a spot. In contrast, JSF has established a clearer protocol with more details. Most of the time, both tend to follow the Nationals' results regardless.

I think, though, that historically the U.S. has followed the 1-2-3 at nationals pretty strictly, while Japan has experimented with point systems giving weight to international competitions like the Grand Prix and Four Continents.

By the way, for the Olympics (unlike Worlds) even the U.S. champion is not guaranteed a spot by the USFSA bylaws.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Although the rules did not state it I also cant imagine the JSF leaving off the GPF Champion should one of the three Japanese win there. I dont expect one of them to win the GPF, but if it ever happened, that person would be on the team IMO, even if they bomb Nationals. If one of Oda or Machida won the GPF, and the other won Nationals, they would be forced to leave one of Takahashi or Hanyu off the team essentialy.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think, though, that historically the U.S. has followed the 1-2-3 at nationals pretty strictly, while Japan has experimented with point systems giving weight to international competitions like the Grand Prix and Four Continents.

By the way, for the Olympics (unlike Worlds) even the U.S. champion is not guaranteed a spot by the USFSA bylaws.

This year.

wallylutz

Medalist

For the Olympics, I think the lack of guarantee is only due to the technicality that USFS can "recommend" to the USOC and it is USOC who needs to register the athletes' participation with IOC, hence, USFS can technically not guarantee the U.S. Champion's entry as a result.

Another reason, if I understand correctly, is due to the citizenship requirement for the Olympics. USFS and ISU do not require a skater to be a U.S. citizen in order to compete on behalf of the U.S. so long they fulfill the other requirements such as waiting period. Since USFS does not have citizenship requirement, the responsibility falls on USOC. In the unlikely event that the U.S. Champion happens not to have U.S. citizenship, they are essentially protecting themselves from lawsuits in case the disgruntled skater decides to sue by pointing out USFS's own by-laws guaranteeing his/her spot. And this kind of lawsuit has happened before in Britain, not about the citizenship but for their national selection process and alleged discrimination - the case landed in court and it got quite ugly.

In practice, the USFS would have identified any elite level prospects who don't have U.S. citizenship and assist them to resolve it prior to U.S. Nationals. Tanith Belbin was a good example. However, this is not always possible especially in singles skating because results there can fluctuate quite surprisingly. In any event, if a U.S. Champion is not U.S. citizen, USFS will not recommend their names to USOC. Or they may forward his/her name anyway but with the implicit understanding that the USOC cannot register them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For the Olympics, I think the lack of guarantee is only due to the technicality that USFS can "recommend" to the USOC and it is USOC who needs to register the athletes' participation with IOC, hence, USFS can technically not guarantee the U.S. Champion's entry as a result.

Disagree. According to its published rules, US Figure Skating is not obligated to even recommend the national champion to the USOC.

wallylutz

Medalist
Disagree. According to its published rules, US Figure Skating is not obligated to even recommend the national champion to the USOC.

And the chance of that happening unless due to citizenship or fraud or the said skater has committed a crime, is as remote as an asteroid hitting Earth tomorrow - read, it ain't happening.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And the chance of that happening unless due to citizenship or fraud or the said skater has committed a crime, is as remote as an asteroid hitting Earth tomorrow - read, it ain't happening.

LOL, so parsing the US Figure Skating rules is constructive only when you're the one doing it -- as in your previous post? ;) :rofl:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Although the rules did not state it I also cant imagine the JSF leaving off the GPF Champion should one of the three Japanese win there. I dont expect one of them to win the GPF, but if it ever happened, that person would be on the team IMO, even if they bomb Nationals. If one of Oda or Machida won the GPF, and the other won Nationals, they would be forced to leave one of Takahashi or Hanyu off the team essentialy.

That happened to Miki Ando in 2009-2010, didn't it? She came in second at the GPF behind Yuna Kim and then dropped to fourth at Nationals. Yet, her Olympic team placement had already been decided the moment she became the "highest" ranked Japanese female at GPF that year.