Leading to Sochi, are you happy with the musical choices/choreography of your favourites? | Golden Skate

Leading to Sochi, are you happy with the musical choices/choreography of your favourites?

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Leading to Sochi, are you happy with the musical choices/choreography of your favourites?

My favourite skater is Kim Yu-Na. I am incredibly excited to see her new programs in about 10 days' time.

I love her lyrical programs - e.g. Lark Ascending, certain parts of Miss Saigon and Les Mis, so I must say that I am very happy with "Send in the Clowns" for her SP. In the past she has chosen up-tempo, fiery music for her SP but I think (hope) this will be an amazing program for her.

As for her long program, her 2007 tango routine was probably the best COP choreographed number ever in my layperson's opinion, so I am pleased she has chosen Adiós Nonino for her LP. The only concern I have for her is conditioning. In the past she has historically chosen more lyrical, moderately-paced music for her free skates so I am a bit anxious about her being able to keep the energy up, so to speak. We'll see I suppose.

Are you happy with the musical choices your favourites have made? Why, why not? Most posters will have seen their favourites skate already. What are your thoughts?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmm.

Jason:
SP: still hate the music but LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the rest!
LP: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Joshua:
SP: LOOOOOOOVE
LP: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Max:
SP: :love:
LP: no. Don't hate, but don't like.

Artur:
SP: :)
LP: :love:

Plushy:
SP: :)
LP: :)

I think that covers everyone.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ice Dance

On a happy scale between 1-10.

Davis/White
SD: 8 Smiles
FD: 8 Smiles

Virtue/Moir
SD: 9 Smiles
FD: 9 Smiles

Weaver/Poje
SD: 7 Smiles
FD: 10 Smiles

Pechalat/Bourzat

Cappellini/Lanotte

Bobrova/Soloviev
SD: 4 Smiles
FD: 6 Smiles

Ilinykh/Katsalapov

Shibutanis
SD: 8 Smiles
FD: 7 Smiles

Dani & Greg
FD: 8 Smiles

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Adelina: SP-Yes LP-It's ok, a million percent better than last year
Ashley: SP- So so, but it's growing on me LP- It's ok, doesn't showcase her strengths but if she hits her jumps it won't hold her back
Mao: SP- Good LP- I like it but she needs to command the ice more and bring her intensity up to the level of the music
Yuna: SP & LP-???

Sylmjk

Spectator
I couldn't say because, a pet peeve of mine, I find much of the music many select to be a drag and I don't know what the actual Olympians will skate to...
I just hope its all a bit better then some of the competition music. zzz-zzz-zzz.....I have to have faith....that it will be:)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I were a competitive skater, I'd want my Olympic season programs to be REALLY memorable.

Just looking at the ice dancers... the Shib's MJ music, although upbeat and it suits them, just doesn't seem like Olympic quality material.

I am awestruck by D/W's FD, but I think I'd like their SD better if they ditched the vocals.

I think V/M FD music just isn't memorable enough. They could have done better in an Olympic year.

Cherryy

On the Ice
I adore D/W FD. It just couldn't be better.

As for Mao, at first I was a bit dissapointed by her both music choices, but when I saw the programs I changed my mind. I love her SP, probably one of my favourites ever, I also really like her LP, but I think it can grow even more on me.

Love both Patrick's programs.

V/T's long is nothing special for me :/. Their SP is lovely though!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love D/W's FD. I don't care for their SD as much. They've never found anything to equal or better yet surpass 'Bollywood' and that's a little bit disappointing for the Olympic year-but that FD makes up for it!

I love Adam's programs especially his LP 'Faun'

I don't care for either Ashley's or Mirai's programs this year. I wish Ashley would go back to 'Red Violin' and 'Black Swan'. Mirai never found an SP to equal or surpass 'Pirates'. My favorite LP of hers was 'Geisha' from 2011. I wish she'd go back to that. Too late.

Both of Julia's programs are perfect imo.

Liza always sticks to Spanish-themed music or Tangos. I honestly have to go back and watch to differentiate one year from another. It works for her but I wish she'd had tried something new.

I enjoy Adelina's LP, not in love with her SP but it will do.

I didn't have a problem with Gracie's SP like so many seemed to. Also her 'Sleeping Beauty' FS is kind of growing on me. I didn't like it at first but I'm used to it now.

I LOVE Dai's programs especially his LP and I'm so hoping he hits both out of the park at the Olympics!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Among the US Men:
I say Jason and Adam have the best set of of programs this year. That said Jason's Riverdance FS is the clear winner for me. The SP is a lot better now that he's grown into it (or let marinate per his words) performance wise, but my favorite J. Brown SP is still one to Grand Guignol from the 2011-2012 season. Adam's Faun program is lovely. He does a nice Carmen also.
Richard, as far as a set of programs go, is 3rd in my book. Love the SP. The FS has potential.
Josh's FS is great. Not sold on Libertango for him, though I can see he's making an effort.
Jeremy's Muse redux had some sparkle at NHK, but still waiting for more magic to come. Don't really get his Pina SP. To be honest, the last SP I really loved from him was "A Day in the Life" from the last Olympic year. (Though his swing number from 2011-2012 was pretty good).
I do like Ross' "The Way We Were" SP. I respect the sentimentality of his FS, but it may come off a bit much. Maybe I'll change my mind in Boston.
I really respect Max and think he can make a comeback but neither of his programs do much for me this year.

Among the US Ladies
Ashley - Great SP, love the sassy, edgy choreo. FS, not quite sold, but I think it has potential to be great.
Gracie - I like her SP just fine, but I guess she's changing it. FS is growing on me. I think she is getting better with that choreography as time goes on.
Agnes - Neither of her programs do much for me, though she can really sell her SP.
Courtney - Haven't seen her new SP. Her FS is okay.
Christina - Close without Touching is a great SP. Not sold on FS, feel the music overtakes her.

Among the rest of the Men:
Patrick's programs are fantastic. I can see what the hype is all about now.
Daisuke, as always, performs his programs well but I don't think I am absolutely in love with the programs themselves. I watched his "Eye" program from the Olympics, and I don't feel that either program is up to that level of awesomeness. Also I don't think any FS could overtake the awesomeness that is Blues for Kook.
I have a soft heart for Nobunari and I really enjoy both his programs; I think they show of his lovable personality quite well.
Yuzuru's SP is great. I am in the minority but I like the new FS, I think it shows a bit of refinement and quality we haven't seen in his past programs, I get that his passion and drive is his biggest selling point, but I like to think he can have refinement too.
I like Takahiko's SP a lot, not sure about reintroducing the FS for a second year.
Tatsuki's firebird is fierce! :)
I love Han's programs. I think he's showing a little more personality.
Maxim Kovtun's FS is growing on me, his SP ---not so much.
I like Javier's FS, but his SP is eeehhh.

I'll do the rest later....

BlackPack

Medalist
Dai's LP makes me :cry::cry::scowl: I don't recall any Beatles program being successful or perceived as the expression of a skater's potential (with the exception of Rakhamo and Kokko in '95 who would have been well-received with just about anything given their rivals sucked or were boring).

Dai, please use Ruggero again. It is the culmination of your lyrical style and passion. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:

TCAngel18

Medalist
Dai's LP makes me :cry::cry::scowl: I don't recall any Beatles program being successful or perceived as the expression of a skater's potential (with the exception of Rakhamo and Kokko in '95 who would have been well-received with just about anything given their rivals sucked or were boring).

Dai, please use Ruggero again. It is the culmination of your lyrical style and passion. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:

ITA, wholeheartedly. Leoncavallo is an amazing composer. Il Pagliacci was chock full of high passion and drama, right in Dai's wheelhouse. He could snatch gold from Chan with a clean Pagliacci. I don't know if he can with a clean Beatles, however.

BlackPack

Medalist
ITA, wholeheartedly. Leoncavallo is an amazing composer. Il Pagliacci was chock full of high passion and drama, right in Dai's wheelhouse. He could snatch gold from Chan with a clean Pagliacci. I don't know if he can with a clean Beatles, however.

Yes, there were quite a few skaters who tackled Pagliacci (i.e. Kulik) but none could express the pathos like Dai did. I just don't see how Dai's current Beatles LP is anywhere close to this (2 quads, 2 3xels, 3lutz-3toe and a marvelous interpretation. It was skated to perfection in '12 JPN. Nat'ls.) ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtoUoiorSQ8

Franklin99

Medalist
Yes, there were quite a few skaters who tackled Pagliacci (i.e. Kulik) but none could express the pathos like Dai did. I just don't see how Dai's current Beatles LP is anywhere close to this (2 quads, 2 3xels, 3lutz-3toe and a marvelous interpretation. It was skated to perfection in '12 JPN. Nat'ls.) ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtoUoiorSQ8

Damn you BlackPack...you got me watching this video on repeat. I..CAN'T...STOP...WATCHING!!! :popcorn: :laugh:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she skates that SP clean it's almost over for the rest of the Ladies.

Gigi13

On the Ice
I love Yuna's short program, it's beautiful, ethereal, light, and lyrical, and I agree if she skates it clean it would be phenomenal! I also love Mao's short program this year just as much as I loved the original back in 2006, Lori did a good job and it's beautiful. I know Carolina is going to change one of her programs and I hope she changes back to Bolero, I loved it so much and since it's never been done clean yet I want her to back to it and skate it clean. I love Daisuke's short program but his long program is a bit iffy to me but I'm starting to like it. I love Yuzuru's short program because he has so much charisma and spark ugh I'm just biased :p, I can't wait to see him to skate Romeo and Juliet clean because I love the music so much. Akiko's programs are divine, love the short program and the free program is not as amazing as "O" was last year but I still love it I'm pretty satisfied with the programs this year but I'm also sad because a lot of my favorites are retiring. :cry:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^
Almost forgot Yuna was skating the same weekend as the GPF! Can't wait to see her programs now judging by the above reviews!!

aragray

Rinkside
Ladies
Kim Yuna: She's absolutely my favorite skater of all time but for some reason the SP this season isn't doing it for me so far :( her flow and edges look beautiful regardless. LP: not a fan of Adios Nonino but i think she'll pull it off in Sochi
Adelina Sotnikova: SP is okay but I like the LP a lot more. She has so many movements to the exact beat of the music
Li Zijun: the SP is kind of meh i don't think the music suits her but i won't critique her LP considering that she didn't really do a lot of it due to illness/injury. i loved both programs last season i wish she could go back to those
Gracie Gold: I heard she's getting a new SP, which makes me super happy since the first one this season was kind of ear piercing.

Men
Takahiko Kozuka: SP is fun and shows his skating skills, but the costume for the LP needs to go :l overall i love both programs :D
Daisuke Takahashi: SP music is not my favorite but he is so great that it works. LP is one of my all time favorite men's programs
Yuzuru Hanyu: I liked his 2011 Romeo & Juliet much better than this year's. the Nino Rota version is still lovely though
Kovtun: Not one of my favorite skaters but the first 30 seconds of his SP are just :love: