Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Brian Boitano

I always admire Brian when he makes statements like this.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    From Phil Hersh's twitter.

Brian Boitano's entire statement, as released by his publicist: ...
    Thanks, Chris.

And here is the link to Hersh's story, which includes a few sentences of his own + Boitano's statement as above:

Boitano now 3rd openly gay athlete on official U.S. Sochi delegation
    By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
    12:20 p.m. CST, December 19, 2013
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1640476.story

The lede:
    Two days after being named a member of the White House delegation to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, figure skating champion Brian Boitano announced he is gay.

Custom Title
    So many reasons to be proud of Brian Boitano. He is a role model in countless ways. That he has chosen this opportunity to publicly announce that he is gay simply adds to the already impressive reasons why he is admired. The US delegation to Sochi will most definitely be strengthened foremost by his presence, foremost in my opinion, for the human being that he is.

I just hope/wish that folks would follow his lead. As he stated he wants to be known/remembered for his accomplishments in his public/professional life and not his private life.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Huh, I am confused I thought he was always out about his sexuality (gay)? I am a bit confused. Anyways, out or not, it is cool that he has these opportunities. I would never have thought of him to host a cooking hsow or any show. I wonder why or how he got his break in tv? Did he know someone? I mean he clearly is not as markeatable as Kwan or even Cohen in many ways.

I'm confused too. I thought this was known. It's sad that people have to be official about it. I loved his cooking show and Brian has always been one of my favorites. Anyhoo I think Brian was definitely marketable but the men in general don't seem to be on the level as the women. I mean Kwan and Cohen didn't even need the gold medal to be marketable than the actual winners...especially Michelle.

Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I'm confused too. I thought this was known. It's sad that people have to be official about it. I loved his cooking show and Brian has always been one of my favorites. Anyhoo I think Brian was definitely marketable but the men in general don't see to be on the level as the women. I mean Kwan and Cohen didn't even need the gold medal to be marketable than the actual winners...especially Michelle.
    Kwan was one of the most winningest women in the sport... both Kwan and Cohen are also products of Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano making a market for skaters... both Hamilton and Boitano broke the mold and thoughts that "male skaters don't sell tickets". They're still reaping the benefits from it.

It will be interesting to see if Cohen will still be as marketable when she's 50+

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I'm confused too. I thought this was known. It's sad that people have to be official about it. I loved his cooking show and Brian has always been one of my favorites. Anyhoo I think Brian was definitely marketable but the men in general don't seem to be on the level as the women. I mean Kwan and Cohen didn't even need the gold medal to be marketable than the actual winners...especially Michelle.
    I was confused too, but only because I momentarily confused him with Brian Orser, who came out years ago!

It's true that women in figure skating appear to be more marketable than men. The men have to contend with this huge "is skating too gay" debate, when people like Scott Hamilton or Elvis Stokyo (sp?) try to butch it up, but then people like Rudy Galindo or Johnny Weir also become successful. Men's skating never seems to be allowed to be a big tent for everyone.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Orser, AFAIR, didn't so much come out, as he was outed due to a palimony suit by his ex partner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Orser#Personal_life

Custom Title
    Ah, Mr Boitano, I'm so proud of you.

Of course no one should be outed against his will (and I never said he should be) But--and I speak from personal experience very very few of you could know (being straight)--coming out is the single most important thing any LGBT person can do. Why? Because it takes us from an unknown quantity to a known one. It's easy to discriminate against an abstract label. It's much harder to do so when it is your family member or friend or work mate. It's no coincidence that the gay rights movement made its most impressive strides not through violent confrontation but through the act of people coming out in record numbers. And that is why Russia's idiotic propaganda law is so evil, because it attempts to make an entire subgroup unknown and vilified.

Well done Brian!

Brian Boitano

In honor of Boitano's selection for the official U.S. delegation to the Sochi Olympic games, I think a big Brian love-in is in order. I'll start the ball rolling…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXZcI84-LLQ

you just wanted to post a video of Michelle

This program is one of my favorites of his - http://youtu.be/9QoS4vYZp10

Loved this patriotic program for the 1961 Tribute show in October of 2001, which became a Sept 11 tribute show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qrn7LYRKbE

And don't forget his skating on an Alaskan "Glacier" (looks to me more like a glacier fed lake) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MleTnhI-lOw

"The Olympics are great for notoriety right off the bat, but your body of work is what people remember you for." - Brian Boitano

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I felt it was time that Brian had his own Fan Fest thread!

Still performing at 50

And his 1988 programs are some of my fondest skating memories, too.

Custom Title
    Yay, Brian! Class, eloquence and a darn terrific skater! He will be a superb rep for the U.S. in Sochi!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    @BrianBoitano
    Thank you all for your support. It means so much to me. And thank you, .@BarackObama for your shout out during today's press conference!
    5:05 PM - 20 Dec 13
    https://twitter.com/BrianBoitano/sta...99829305126912

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3