Brian Boitano | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano

ice coverage

Record Breaker
U.S. figure skater Brian Boitano was born on October 22, 1963 in Mountain View, California. He is the 1988 Olympic champion, the 1986 and 1988 World Champion, and the 1985–1988 U.S. National Champion. He turned professional following the 1988 season. He returned to competition in 1993 and competed at the 1994 Winter Olympics, where he placed sixth.

Brian Boitano updates
(1) I am excited to announce that "The Brian Boitano Project" will be premiering on HGTV....January 16th! More details soon!
It follows the process of a 200-year-old house in Italy that I renovated. My great-grandfather once lived in it!

(2) @BrianBoitano
Watch for me on The Today Show....this Friday around 8:50am!
1:38 PM - 27 Nov 13
https://twitter.com/BrianBoitano/status/405812791321186304

The reason for tomorrow's Today show appearance is to promote the Disson holiday show airing on Sunday.​

Boitano gave an interview this week on a local tv newscast in NYC, the hook for which was a different Disson show -- the one that is a tribute to past Olympians and a send-off to the Sochi hopefuls. (The live Disson event is in two weeks in NJ; the broadcast is in Feb.)
The local interview made no mention of the new HGTV show, although Boitano was able to talk about his cooking ventures.
I must say that I admire Boitano for always coming across as sincere, affable, and interesting. He manages to promote his brand effectively in a natural way, IMHO -- nothing heavy-handed or obnoxious about him. :bow:

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree. Brian is just a standup guy! He's never let his successes on the ice go to his head. I've watched his cooking show and find him entertaining, skillful, and fun to watch. I also have his cookbook which has little vignettes about his life. He truly is a gentleman and a professional. Glad to see his show is coming back on HGTV.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
‏@BrianBoitano
Warming up for the @TODAYshow this morning --ahead of Sunday's @PANDORA_NA #HolidayOnIce!” pic.twitter.com/1es437Wxn6
4:03 AM - 29 Nov 13
https://twitter.com/BrianBoitano/status/406393003960721408

I agree. Brian is just a standup guy! He's never let his successes on the ice go to his head. I've watched his cooking show and find him entertaining, skillful, and fun to watch. I also have his cookbook which has little vignettes about his life. He truly is a gentleman and a professional. Glad to see his show is coming back on HGTV.

Boitano's upcoming HGTV series is a new one that is not related to cooking -- as explained above in his Facebook post. :)

KKonas

Medalist
Boitano is a great guy and good friend. I covered most of his career and spoke to him at a Disson show last year just as he was finishing his cookbook. He was kind enough to send me a copy. Look forward to watching his new HGTV show.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Turned on the TV and there was Brian. Nice segment on the Today Show. I caught it just in time to record it. Now I will put it with the skating on Sunday for a complete package.

Boitano is a great guy and good friend. I covered most of his career and spoke to him at a Disson show last year just as he was finishing his cookbook. He was kind enough to send me a copy. Look forward to watching his new HGTV show.

I'm glad to hear that he truly is the good guy he seems to be from a distance.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ agreed! Can't wait to see him @ the IZOD Center show next Wednesday. We've spoken to him @ Mike Weiss' shows - a gentleman and gracious guy! :love:

TonyaHardlyEver

Rinkside
^ agreed! Can't wait to see him @ the IZOD Center show next Wednesday. We've spoken to him @ Mike Weiss' shows - a gentleman and gracious guy! :love:

I am friends with Brian on Facebook. He posted a video of himself landing a triple lutz very nicely this morning. Can't believe he can still land triples. I saw Harding land a triple toe 4 years ago. Every Olympic year seems to bring a veteran skater dusting off their old tricks.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am friends with Brian on Facebook. He posted a video of himself landing a triple lutz very nicely this morning. Can't believe he can still land triples. I saw Harding land a triple toe 4 years ago. Every Olympic year seems to bring a veteran skater dusting off their old tricks.

He also tweeted a link to a vid of his triple lutz -- but the video link did not work for me.

@BrianBoitano
Check out my triple lutz today...the first one I've done in two years! :) http://telly.com/1G0SSI8 via @TellyApp
3:54 PM - 5 Dec 13
https://twitter.com/BrianBoitano/status/408746244379402240

brightphoton

Medalist
It's a tiny vertically shot camera phone video, so it's hard to see anything, but he does a spread eagle into a triple lutz.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I've had a soft spot for him since I read about Sandra Bezic creating his skating program to Napoleon in her book. When Youtube came out and I finally got to see it it was so awesome for me. I pulled the book out and was able to ID every section she was talking about.

A lot of programs I've read about first and then saw them and many of them were a bit disappointing for me (not horribly in all cases, but even the best usually didn't have as much of a wow factor as I thought they would), but not Brian's Napoleon routine. It totally lived up to what I'd read.

I'm Canadian, so I know I shouldn't say this, but I'm glad it was Boitano that won in 1988. I really like Orser's routine too, but if I had to pick between them, Boitano's is my favorite. (Strictly on the choreography - I'm not qualified to judge performance in routines that good)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm Canadian, so I know I shouldn't say this, but I'm glad it was Boitano that won in 1988. I really like Orser's routine too, but if I had to pick between them, Boitano's is my favorite. (Strictly on the choreography - I'm not qualified to judge performance in routines that good)

I'm an American, but I like to consider myself an "honourary" Canadian. I :love: both Brians to this day, but I was pulling for Brian O. to win in Calgary. Both men were superb that night, and I still think of that competition in Calgary as the greatest night of men's competition ever! My biggest regret is that we didn't follow fs more intently between 1984-1988. We had NO idea of what a battle was brewing between the 2 Brians. I do appreciate the respect that they both have for each other.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
From what I remember in Brian Orser's memoir, there wasn't much of a rivalry until Boitano came out of nowhere to win the 1986 Worlds. After that I can't remember. Has Boitano done a book?

Speaking of Orser, does anyone know what he's like? I felt a little put off after reading his bio by the tone of some of his comments but I know things can sound stronger in print. I'd like to still think he's a nice person.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Brian Boitano updates

(1) I am excited to announce that "The Brian Boitano Project" will be premiering on HGTV....January 16th! More details soon!
It follows the process of a 200-year-old house in Italy that I renovated. My great-grandfather once lived in it!

The first four episodes of Boitano's new HGTV show are described at the links below. (Do I recall that the series will have six episodes?? Not sure.)

It's a tiny vertically shot camera phone video, so it's hard to see anything, but he does a spread eagle into a triple lutz.

"Better late than never" dep't: If anyone else had trouble viewing the video at the link posted earlier, here is the same vid from Boitano's FB page.