Brian Boitano | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Brand - interesting and good for Brian to have a brand and have a career fter figure skating. He is a wonderful skater = though I do have a soft spot for Orser. Not very logical but he kind of deserved a OGM. Had it been the new scoring system, or post the removal of school figures he would have won for sure in 1984. Maybe things will balance out and Canada will win an OGM in Sochi - I think though they might end up with two silver's.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As a gay man, it is indeed very cool, in more ways than one:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-jean-king-winter-games-russia-putin/4058273/

And really, it's way past time Mr B came out...

Huh, I am confused I thought he was always out about his sexuality (gay)? I am a bit confused. Anyways, out or not, it is cool that he has these opportunities. I would never have thought of him to host a cooking hsow or any show. I wonder why or how he got his break in tv? Did he know someone? I mean he clearly is not as markeatable as Kwan or even Cohen in many ways.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boitano has been named to Barack Obama's Presidential Delegation to the Opening Ceremony of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi. :bow:

The only other athlete in the Opening Ceremony delegation is Billie Jean King.
"The delegation will attend athletic events, meet with U.S. athletes, and attend the Opening Ceremony."

I thought there was a female hockey player on the delegation, too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I mean he clearly is not as markeatable as Kwan or even Cohen in many ways.

Boitano won an Olympic gold medal -- as the culmination of the dramatic Battle of the Brians, no less. His personality, sense of humor, and looks all are very pleasing. He is articulate and at ease on camera. In what ways is he not marketable?
Kwan and Cohen, for all their other appealing qualities, never won Olympic gold.

I think it should be his choice.

:agree: Absolutely agree.

I thought there was a female hockey player on the delegation, too.

Boitano and BJK are the athletes who were named to the delegation to the Opening Ceremony.

Per the WH announcement at the link above, the separate delegation to the Closing Ceremony includes three athletes: Bonnie Blair, Eric Heiden, and "Ms. Caitlin Cahow, Olympic silver medalist and bronze medalist, women's ice hockey."

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just as a side note - did you know Brian Boitano shares his birthday (22nd October 1963) with Estonian Ladies skater Elena Muhhina (22nd October 1988)?

Oh, and some eejit calling themselves "CaroLiza_fan" (22nd October 1985)!!! ;) :biggrin:

Until I looked Brian up there now, I never knew I shared a birthday with any skaters. In fact, I thought Zac Hanson was the only famous person I shared a birthday with!!! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
In the states Brian Boitano is one of the most recognizable male figure skaters. (I mean, for crying out loud - South Park wrote a song about him!).

As for when and how he should "come out" - he doesn't owe anyone anything when it comes to his PRIVATE life.

Chris_E

On the Ice
From Phil Hersh's twitter.

Brian Boitano's entire statement, as released by his publicist:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country's practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.

Buttercup

Record Breaker

Brian Boitano's entire statement, as released by his publicist:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country's practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.
I think for Boitano, who is clearly a very private person, to come out now is a strong statement in itself. Good for him.

Since it hasn't been mentioned here as far as I can tell, Boitano will be skating on Saturday at Gala des Etoiles de la Glisse, the French holiday show in Courchevel.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Brian Boitano's entire statement, as released by his publicist: ...

Thanks, Chris.

And here is the link to Hersh's story, which includes a few sentences of his own + Boitano's statement as above:

Boitano now 3rd openly gay athlete on official U.S. Sochi delegation
By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
12:20 p.m. CST, December 19, 2013
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ficial-us-delegation-20131219,0,1640476.story

The lede:
Two days after being named a member of the White House delegation to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, figure skating champion Brian Boitano announced he is gay.

lcd

Match Penalty
So many reasons to be proud of Brian Boitano. He is a role model in countless ways. That he has chosen this opportunity to publicly announce that he is gay simply adds to the already impressive reasons why he is admired. The US delegation to Sochi will most definitely be strengthened foremost by his presence, foremost in my opinion, for the human being that he is.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just hope/wish that folks would follow his lead. As he stated he wants to be known/remembered for his accomplishments in his public/professional life and not his private life.

lavender

Record Breaker
Huh, I am confused I thought he was always out about his sexuality (gay)? I am a bit confused. Anyways, out or not, it is cool that he has these opportunities. I would never have thought of him to host a cooking hsow or any show. I wonder why or how he got his break in tv? Did he know someone? I mean he clearly is not as markeatable as Kwan or even Cohen in many ways.

I'm confused too. I thought this was known. It's sad that people have to be official about it. I loved his cooking show and Brian has always been one of my favorites. Anyhoo I think Brian was definitely marketable but the men in general don't seem to be on the level as the women. I mean Kwan and Cohen didn't even need the gold medal to be marketable than the actual winners...especially Michelle.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm confused too. I thought this was known. It's sad that people have to be official about it. I loved his cooking show and Brian has always been one of my favorites. Anyhoo I think Brian was definitely marketable but the men in general don't see to be on the level as the women. I mean Kwan and Cohen didn't even need the gold medal to be marketable than the actual winners...especially Michelle.

Kwan was one of the most winningest women in the sport... both Kwan and Cohen are also products of Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano making a market for skaters... both Hamilton and Boitano broke the mold and thoughts that "male skaters don't sell tickets". They're still reaping the benefits from it.

It will be interesting to see if Cohen will still be as marketable when she's 50+

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
I'm confused too. I thought this was known. It's sad that people have to be official about it. I loved his cooking show and Brian has always been one of my favorites. Anyhoo I think Brian was definitely marketable but the men in general don't seem to be on the level as the women. I mean Kwan and Cohen didn't even need the gold medal to be marketable than the actual winners...especially Michelle.

I was confused too, but only because I momentarily confused him with Brian Orser, who came out years ago!

It's true that women in figure skating appear to be more marketable than men. The men have to contend with this huge "is skating too gay" debate, when people like Scott Hamilton or Elvis Stokyo (sp?) try to butch it up, but then people like Rudy Galindo or Johnny Weir also become successful. Men's skating never seems to be allowed to be a big tent for everyone.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Ah, Mr Boitano, I'm so proud of you.

Of course no one should be outed against his will (and I never said he should be) But--and I speak from personal experience very very few of you could know (being straight)--coming out is the single most important thing any LGBT person can do. Why? Because it takes us from an unknown quantity to a known one. It's easy to discriminate against an abstract label. It's much harder to do so when it is your family member or friend or work mate. It's no coincidence that the gay rights movement made its most impressive strides not through violent confrontation but through the act of people coming out in record numbers. And that is why Russia's idiotic propaganda law is so evil, because it attempts to make an entire subgroup unknown and vilified.

Well done Brian!