Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brian Boitano

Tripping on the Podium
    From what I remember in Brian Orser's memoir, there wasn't much of a rivalry until Boitano came out of nowhere to win the 1986 Worlds. After that I can't remember. Has Boitano done a book?

Speaking of Orser, does anyone know what he's like? I felt a little put off after reading his bio by the tone of some of his comments but I know things can sound stronger in print. I'd like to still think he's a nice person.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    He also tweeted a link to a vid of his triple lutz -- but the video link did not work for me.

@BrianBoitano
    Check out my triple lutz today...the first one I've done in two years! http://telly.com/1G0SSI8 via @TellyApp
    3:54 PM - 5 Dec 13
    https://twitter.com/BrianBoitano/sta...46244379402240
    50 years old, doing Triple Lutz out of a spread eagle.

I guess this means I shouldn't give up on the Triple Axel. It's all possible.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Brian Boitano updates

(1) I am excited to announce that "The Brian Boitano Project" will be premiering on HGTV....January 16th! More details soon!
    It follows the process of a 200-year-old house in Italy that I renovated. My great-grandfather once lived in it!

The first four episodes of Boitano's new HGTV show are described at the links below. (Do I recall that the series will have six episodes?? Not sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    It's a tiny vertically shot camera phone video, so it's hard to see anything, but he does a spread eagle into a triple lutz.
    "Better late than never" dep't: If anyone else had trouble viewing the video at the link posted earlier, here is the same vid from Boitano's FB page.

News

Boitano has been named to Barack Obama's Presidential Delegation to the Opening Ceremony of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.

The only other athlete in the Opening Ceremony delegation is Billie Jean King.
    "The delegation will attend athletic events, meet with U.S. athletes, and attend the Opening Ceremony."

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Cool!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Cool!
    As a gay man, it is indeed very cool, in more ways than one:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...putin/4058273/

And really, it's way past time Mr B came out...

Custom Title
    Brand - interesting and good for Brian to have a brand and have a career fter figure skating. He is a wonderful skater = though I do have a soft spot for Orser. Not very logical but he kind of deserved a OGM. Had it been the new scoring system, or post the removal of school figures he would have won for sure in 1984. Maybe things will balance out and Canada will win an OGM in Sochi - I think though they might end up with two silver's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post

Huh, I am confused I thought he was always out about his sexuality (gay)? I am a bit confused. Anyways, out or not, it is cool that he has these opportunities. I would never have thought of him to host a cooking hsow or any show. I wonder why or how he got his break in tv? Did he know someone? I mean he clearly is not as markeatable as Kwan or even Cohen in many ways.

Custom Title
    Boitano has been named to Barack Obama's Presidential Delegation to the Opening Ceremony of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.

The only other athlete in the Opening Ceremony delegation is Billie Jean King.
    "The delegation will attend athletic events, meet with U.S. athletes, and attend the Opening Ceremony."
    I thought there was a female hockey player on the delegation, too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post

I think it should be his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I mean he clearly is not as markeatable as Kwan or even Cohen in many ways.
    Boitano won an Olympic gold medal -- as the culmination of the dramatic Battle of the Brians, no less. His personality, sense of humor, and looks all are very pleasing. He is articulate and at ease on camera. In what ways is he not marketable?
    Kwan and Cohen, for all their other appealing qualities, never won Olympic gold.

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I think it should be his choice.
    Absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I thought there was a female hockey player on the delegation, too.
    Boitano and BJK are the athletes who were named to the delegation to the Opening Ceremony.

Per the WH announcement at the link above, the separate delegation to the Closing Ceremony includes three athletes: Bonnie Blair, Eric Heiden, and "Ms. Caitlin Cahow, Olympic silver medalist and bronze medalist, women's ice hockey."

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Just as a side note - did you know Brian Boitano shares his birthday (22nd October 1963) with Estonian Ladies skater Elena Muhhina (22nd October 1988)?

Oh, and some eejit calling themselves "CaroLiza_fan" (22nd October 1985)!!!

Until I looked Brian up there now, I never knew I shared a birthday with any skaters. In fact, I thought Zac Hanson was the only famous person I shared a birthday with!!!

CaroLiza_fan

In the states Brian Boitano is one of the most recognizable male figure skaters. (I mean, for crying out loud - South Park wrote a song about him!).

As for when and how he should "come out" - he doesn't owe anyone anything when it comes to his PRIVATE life.

On the Ice
    From Phil Hersh's twitter.

Brian Boitano's entire statement, as released by his publicist:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country's practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    From Phil Hersh's twitter.

Brian Boitano's entire statement, as released by his publicist:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country's practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.
    I think for Boitano, who is clearly a very private person, to come out now is a strong statement in itself. Good for him.

Since it hasn't been mentioned here as far as I can tell, Boitano will be skating on Saturday at Gala des Etoiles de la Glisse, the French holiday show in Courchevel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast