Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Performances you love from skaters you don't

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Being a North American, I was excited about Bourne/Kraatz, so I didn't enjoy Annissina/Piezerat. The program that changed my mind and made me a fan was their Romeo and Juliet. Hey, thought I, they're not just being propped up by Euro-phile judges. They're amazing!

So I don't know if that counts as "a program I like by a team that I don't like" or more of a turning point, but either way, I wasn't a fan of theirs when I first saw that program.
    Oh yes. I just 'didn't like them' and then R/J happened and I was transfixed. I also was wearing thin on Shae-Lynn and her crybaby scowls and tears by that time too. What a brilliant program that was, R/J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsrJwv0zOw

Marina and Gwendal are both impossibly beautiful, it almost seemed like a Disney cartoon. I loved this program. Poor Victor Kraatz. He was probably THE best ice dancer in the world for years, but had to settle for Shae with accompanying results. He was Baiul-like in that he could skate to anything. Shae was either perky or pouty. As one would say "She ran the gamut of emotions from A to B." And I think this is the first and only time I could ignore the female in the pair. All I saw was Victor skating out there. He was an amazing dancer. Alas, alack.

Rinkside
    LOVE: Johnny Weir-anything!
    Alexei Yagudin-Lawrence of Arabia
    but mostly.....MICHELLE KWAN. Everything is always perfect...the outfit goes with the music goes with the skating goes with the story she
    tells on ice. Some have come close, but no female skater embodies the sport as she does.

DO NOT LOVE: I do not care for so much of the nondescript music so many use today....I can't even recall their names, the music is just sort of "there"
    in the background. It doesn't have to be a top of the charts Lady Gaga hit, or Carmen (again) but in competition it should be something some of the audience recognize-
    otherwise absent a phenomenal performance, it just all blends in and does not really showcase the talent. With some of the music selected, I find myself thinking a silent performance would be just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylmjk View Post
    LOVE: Johnny Weir-anything!
    Alexei Yagudin-Lawrence of Arabia
    but mostly.....MICHELLE KWAN. Everything is always perfect...the outfit goes with the music goes with the skating goes with the story she
    tells on ice. Some have come close, but no female skater embodies the sport as she does.

DO NOT LOVE: I do not care for so much of the nondescript music so many use today....I can't even recall their names, the music is just sort of "there"
    in the background. It doesn't have to be a top of the charts Lady Gaga hit, or Carmen (again) but in competition it should be something some of the audience recognize-
    otherwise absent a phenomenal performance, it just all blends in and does not really showcase the talent. With some of the music selected, I find myself thinking a silent performance would be just as good.
    I'm not sure you understood the concept of this thread ... but welcome to the forum anyway!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I'm not sure you understood the concept of this thread ... but welcome to the forum anyway!
    Thanks Aftertherain-no I admit I got a bit dyslexic when I read it!! I don't dislike or not care for any skater, so I can't say anything about a grudging admiration for
    one in a performance I don't really care for. I like them all and am blown away by the jumps and generally so athletic performances of all of them. That's why
    sometimes the music they use bothers me!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here's three threads on Golden Skate that you might be interested in:

Music that Should not be used for skating
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ighlight=Music

Music that should be skated to
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...d-be-skated-to

and Do You like Your Favorite Skaters' Music Choices This Year
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...our-favourites

Welcome to the forum!

Custom Title
    Ashley Wagner’s Black Swan and her 2009 version to Once Upon a Time in America

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Irina Slutskaya's 2002 SP to Schubert's Ständchen. I might be biased because it's Schubert, but I thought it was great, deserving of 1st place.
    I totes agree. I also liked JoRo's Samson and Delilah at the Japan Open 2009 and Miki Ando's 2007 Worlds Scheherezade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2