Japanese men's team for Sochi | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japanese men's team for Sochi

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Takahashi is in.

Not necessarily. With injury he might not be. Although I suppose the Japanese fed could pull a Russian fed and send a more popular skater to Sochi, even if others rank higher at nationals. With his score at NHK, they could send him to Sochi with the "ISU season's best" clause, even if Oda/Machida/etc. have a better chance of performing well. Like any country, I would hope that the best skaters are sent to represent the country, not the most popular ones. NHK was great for Daisuke but I'm not quite convinced that he has the consistency at this point.

With an 8th place at Worlds (and 5th in the FS), I'm not convinced that Mura is for sure out, although it appears to be that way.

Becki

Medalist
Not necessarily. With injury he might not be. Although I suppose the Japanese fed could pull a Russian fed and send a more popular skater to Sochi, even if others rank higher at nationals. With his score at NHK, they could send him to Sochi with the "ISU season's best" clause, even if Oda/Machida/etc. have a better chance of performing well. Like any country, I would hope that the best skaters are sent to represent the country, not the most popular ones. NHK was great for Daisuke but I'm not quite convinced that he has the consistency at this point.

With an 8th place at Worlds (and 5th in the FS), I'm not convinced that Mura is for sure out, although it appears to be that way.

I honestly don't think Daisuke will be off the team. 1) he's a sentimental favourite 2) reigning OBM - when was the last time an actively competing reigning Olympic medalist was left off the team? 3) sponsorships, endorsements....he has tons.

Poice

Final Flight
In my opinion, there is no way that Yuzuru or Diasuke won't go to Sochi. Both of them (and of course Mao Asada) are japanese favorites for medals. In men there is only one place left and Machida or Oda will grab it.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Who I wish: Takahashi, Hanyu, and Kozuka.
Who I think: Takahashi, Hanyu and Machida.

I just don't see Oda in the picture. His skating has never appealed to me. He has great knees but almost overdoes his knee bend on landings. I think the only time I ever liked his skating was with his Chaplin program, and that was 4 years ago.

I feel so badly for Kozuka who is one of my faves. Japanese men just have an embarrassment of riches. It sucks he'll be left off.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Takahashi is in.

Hanyu is in unless he bombs at both the GPF and Nationals.

Oda needs to beat Machida at both the GPF and Nationals. If he does, he will go to Olympics. If he doesn't, Machida will go.

Kozuka is out unless he wins Nationals.

Mura is out.

Perfect assessment of the situation IMO. I think this is exactly how things sit for each.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I love all of our home town boys for different reasons and root for them, to be honest, thus I am so torn apart...

Yuzuru is a LOCK. No matter what.
Daisuke most likely, if only he shows up at Nats and delivers two decent enough programs there. Sad to say but "Can he do it?" is a question mark at this point... :cry:
Tatsuki gets the nod from the Fed I think, if he doesn't bomb at GPF then can get onto podium at Nats. :yes:
Nobu needs to get onto podium both at GPF and Nats, and also BY beating Tatsuki two in a row.
Taka needs to win Nats.
Takahito also needs to win Nats, but the Fed probably does not want it I am afraid. :no:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
At this moment Takahashi, Hanyu and Machida seem to be the most likely ones, in my opinion.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So with GPF done:

GPF:
Hanyu
Oda
Machida

World Ranking:
1. Hanyu
3. Takahashi
6. Machida
----
10. Oda
11. Mura
16. Kozuka

Season's Best:
2. Hanyu
3. Takahashi
4. Machida
---
5. Oda
12. Kozuka
14. Mura

The spots goes as follows:
1.) Winner of nationals
2.) 2nd at nationals/3rd at nationals/Highest GPF finisher
3.) 2nd at nationals/3rd at nationals/Upper 3 world standing/season's best.

Machida is still very much in it, though Oda made it interesting by beating him at GPF. If Machida beats Oda, he will definitely go. However if Oda beats Machida at nationals, it's not a slam dunk because JSF can pick Machida based on Season's Best/World Ranking.

I think Hanyu and Takahashi are safe regardless of their nationals result.

Japanese nationals is going to be a nailbitter for that third spot.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
It's a shame because based on their GPF, both Oda and Michida are potential podium finisher. We can assume that both Hanyu and Chan are a lock for podium finish, unless they bombs so badly. That leave Dai, Oda or Michida next in standing. Fernandez has been lack luster this season, and we have to wait till European, if he can regain his spark. None of the American men or other European men are impressive both TES or PCS wise.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Obviously Yuzuru is now really a lock even if he sat on the ice and did nothing at Nationals (or WD). Takahashi is probably still a lock, even if he has a poor Nationals, as neither Oda or Machida did great at the Grand Prix final (Oda did quite well, but not excellent, and I am talking his performances and scores, not his 3rd place).

Oda beating Machida helps his chances for the team, but IMO he still needs to beat Machida at Nationals if he is going to make it.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Obviously Yuzuru is now really a lock even if he sat on the ice and did nothing at Nationals (or WD). Takahashi is probably still a lock, even if he has a poor Nationals, as neither Oda or Machida did great at the Grand Prix final (Oda did quite well, but not excellent, and I am talking his performances and scores, not his 3rd place).

Oda beating Machida helps his chances for the team, but IMO he still needs to beat Machida at Nationals if he is going to make it.

Between Oda and Machida, i think Michida has a better success rate of landing his quad so far and this help him putting into equation. Oda quad has been hit or miss and thou falling on quad is not devastating point wise, it does put into question mark. Either way, both of them are top 5 materials and if they didn't make it to Sochi, i'm sure they will be sent to World and they can def get onto podium, safetly assuming all the Sochi podium finishers will likely skip the world.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
The spots goes as follows:
1.) Winner of nationals
2.) 2nd at nationals/3rd at nationals/Highest GPF finisher
3.) 2nd at nationals/3rd at nationals/Upper 3 world standing/season's best.

Quick thought: If Yuzuru wins Nats, does that mean the second qualification spot has to go to either the 2nd or 3rd place finisher at Nats? And the GPF results past the top finisher are essentially nullified? If Oda and/or Machida falter vs. the likes of Mura and Kozuka, then their strong GP showings might not hold them up enough. Nationals will be intensely important for the second and third spots. Really really hoping Dai will be fully recovered by then.