Japanese men's team for Sochi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japanese men's team for Sochi

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Dai has to go. I don't know much about this injury but I hope he can get a bye at nationals and should be 100% by February. Machida and Hanyu should be 2 and 3. Machida had been consistent and has a fantastic style. I'm worried about Hanyu's quads this year and he seems like nerves could really affect him but is capable of scong high and would be a great Olympic experience to build on for 2018.

I love Dai but he does not deserve a bye. I don't think any of the Japanese men deserve byes.

Oh…gosh…I'm afraid that folks who wish Patrick ill are now just whistling past the graveyard.

wallylutz

Medalist
and thats it to be bragged ? he has been to Japan open many times and even skipped 4CCS held in Japan
there are certain locations that skaters seem to do well and not well, for the most part this is Chan's poor track record
Yuzu should easily grab gold at the GPF, hopefully this momentum will be in Olympics which also a karma soil for Chan

Right, because Chan won the 2009 Four Continents in Vancouver at the Pacific Coliseum ahead of Lysacek, the eventual Olympic Champion but somehow only finished 5th a year later at the same place during the Olympic Games. So what conclusion can we draw about Vancouver then? Good location or bad location?

As for : "Yuzu should easily grab gold at the GPF", I am saving this post so that we can refer back to it after GPF, maybe even send a copy to Hanyu afterwards to tell him who jinxed him again. :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yuzu should easily grab gold at the GPF, hopefully this momentum will be in Olympics which also a karma soil for Chan

With home ice inflation Yuzu will get placed higher than Chan, even if Yuzu wiped the ice with his butt like at TEB. Yuzu at home has at least 3+ fall cushion, and if he wins it'll only be because its in Japan. :sarcasm:

wallylutz

Medalist
Oh…gosh…I'm afraid that folks who wish Patrick ill are now just whistling past the graveyard.

Don't worry about it, it's quite comical to read those ill wishes. Just treat them as free entertainment, you know, just-for-laughs type. After all, they are quite funny if not being so delusional to begin with.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
With home ice inflation Yuzu will get placed higher than Chan, even if Yuzu wiped the ice with his butt like at TEB. Yuzu at home has at least 3+ fall cushion, and if he wins it'll only be because its in Japan. :sarcasm:

if there will be inflation for Yuzu at the GPF then why not ?
Chan has ridiculous home ice advantage inflation.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I love Dai but he does not deserve a bye. I don't think any of the Japanese men deserve byes.

The JSF might be in a bit of pickle if say... Machida is the highest Japanese man at the GPF podium, Oda somehow wins nationals against a five course meal of homecooking by the judges, and Hanyu outperforms Daisuke at the nationals. Daisuke on the Olympic team should generate a lot of buzz but the team would come under scrutiny and scandal if he's blatantly gifted it.

I sometimes wonder if the depth of the Japanese field is as much of a curse as it is a blessing. Last season, it seemed to me that a lot of the Japanese men burned out at nationals and couldn't duplicate that performance at 4CC and Worlds. Oda ended have a strong performance at the Bavarian open after missing the 4CC/Worlds team.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Is Hanyu particularly vulnerable when competing against Chan, but winning competitions without him? He did beat Chan once last year, at GPF which was a turning point in my cycle theory when Chan (and others) hit his trough and Hanyu (and others) his peak. (Of course a high calibre skater's trough is till higher than most others' highs and there are other peaks and troughs to come in the career of any skater still competing.) Any way, my point is that, even though Hanyu is less of my favorites after Dai, Koz, and Oda, I believe he is the one who definitely should go to the Olympics, based on his results, which show he's the top Japanese Man right now, and for the experience for the next Olympics.

As for Chan's probable showing at the GPF, records show he indeed has had poor results there while Takahashi has his best skates in front of his homecrowd. However, Chan has been participating in minor events in Japan pre-season or post Worlds after he has already achieved his goal for the season, having peaked at Worlds and ended his season mentally. The coming GPF is the first time, I think, he is competing in a regular ISU event in Japan, at a time when he has had some mileage with his programs. I therefore would not presume the high likelihood of poor performance there. Of course, we have to consider the lifting effect of home crowd on some of the best skaters in the world and expect possible outstanding performances from the Japanese participants.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Takahashi is in.

Hanyu is in unless he bombs at both the GPF and Nationals.

Oda needs to beat Machida at both the GPF and Nationals. If he does, he will go to Olympics. If he doesn't, Machida will go.

Kozuka is out unless he wins Nationals.

Mura is out.

malo42

On the Ice
I'd very much like the team to be Yuzuru, Daisuke and Machida. I've really liked Oda and Kozuka since the last Olympics but Machida has just done so much to deserve it so far and I hope he can continue to do so well in the GPF and nats.

Really though this thread made me laugh quite a bit. Yuzuru has some irritating fans but you don't have to sink down to their level. At first I was sad to see Yuzuru was skating against PChan in both of his events because I knew he probably wouldn't win but now I feel as if practicing skating against Chan might have been good for him. I still don't think he'll beat Chan but at least by the Olympics he'll be used to skating against him :laugh:

spikydurian

Medalist
:laugh: This classic line is applicable to ANYONE.

I am going to keep this line, and take it out each time a skater falls a few times and win a medal. ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
if there will be inflation for Yuzu at the GPF then why not ?
Chan has ridiculous home ice advantage inflation.

Hah, so if it's Yuzu getting home ice inflation that's fine with you. But if Chan gets ridiculous home ice inflation then you're all of a sudden scandalized. FYI, Chan got lower PCS marks at Skate Canada (44.93, 90.92) than TEB (46.18, 96.50). :biggrin:

The good news, sky_fly, is that with home ice inflation, Yuzu can finally surpass his personal best of just 85.16 points of PCS in his FS. Let's assume that if he makes two major errors, like a fall and a popped jump (like at TEB and Skate Canada), he should be able to get a personal best PCS. :agree:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Actually, Machida is 23, and Hanyu is only 18. Hanyu should sit this Olympics out since, while very talented, he's 1. not consistent enough yet, and 2. will only be Machida's age by the 2018 Olympic. So if anything, he's the one that has more years in him.

Oh, like after years of hard work and training, not to mention a World medal and Japanese championship, Hanyu is going to say "OK, I'll sit out this Olympics because I'm 18." What a ridiculous statement. :rolleye:

Icey

Record Breaker
Dai has to go. I don't know much about this injury but I hope he can get a bye at nationals and should be 100% by February. Machida and Hanyu should be 2 and 3. Machida had been consistent and has a fantastic style. I'm worried about Hanyu's quads this year and he seems like nerves could really affect him but is capable of scoring high and would be a great Olympic experience to build on for 2018.

Does Japan give bye's?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So torn. Can't we just send them all? :(

I think Daisuke and Yuzuru will likely get in. I really like Kozuka, but he hasn't been doing to great this season, so I'm now torn between Noburnari and Tatsuki! It will be interesting to see how those two and Hanyu compare.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:laugh: This classic line is applicable to ANYONE.

I am going to keep this line, and take it out each time a skater falls a few times and win a medal. ;)

Hah, I know. I'm being facetious, since a certain poster tends to spew this crap every time... and now it applies to her favourite skater. :laugh: