Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Japanese men's team for Sochi

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Takahashi is in.

Hanyu is in unless he bombs at both the GPF and Nationals.

Oda needs to beat Machida at both the GPF and Nationals. If he does, he will go to Olympics. If he doesn't, Machida will go.

Kozuka is out unless he wins Nationals.

Mura is out.

On the Ice
    I'd very much like the team to be Yuzuru, Daisuke and Machida. I've really liked Oda and Kozuka since the last Olympics but Machida has just done so much to deserve it so far and I hope he can continue to do so well in the GPF and nats.

Really though this thread made me laugh quite a bit. Yuzuru has some irritating fans but you don't have to sink down to their level. At first I was sad to see Yuzuru was skating against PChan in both of his events because I knew he probably wouldn't win but now I feel as if practicing skating against Chan might have been good for him. I still don't think he'll beat Chan but at least by the Olympics he'll be used to skating against him

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    With home ice inflation Yuzu will get placed higher than Chan, even if Yuzu wiped the ice with his butt like at TEB. Yuzu at home has at least 3+ fall cushion, and if he wins it'll only be because its in Japan.
    This classic line is applicable to ANYONE.

I am going to keep this line, and take it out each time a skater falls a few times and win a medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Despite his recent form, Kozuka is my favorite of the Japanese men. I hope he can get it together in the future.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Despite his recent form, Kozuka is my favorite of the Japanese men. I hope he can get it together in the future.

Yes! The very near future.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    if there will be inflation for Yuzu at the GPF then why not ?
    Chan has ridiculous home ice advantage inflation.
    Hah, so if it's Yuzu getting home ice inflation that's fine with you. But if Chan gets ridiculous home ice inflation then you're all of a sudden scandalized. FYI, Chan got lower PCS marks at Skate Canada (44.93, 90.92) than TEB (46.18, 96.50).

The good news, sky_fly, is that with home ice inflation, Yuzu can finally surpass his personal best of just 85.16 points of PCS in his FS. Let's assume that if he makes two major errors, like a fall and a popped jump (like at TEB and Skate Canada), he should be able to get a personal best PCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    Actually, Machida is 23, and Hanyu is only 18. Hanyu should sit this Olympics out since, while very talented, he's 1. not consistent enough yet, and 2. will only be Machida's age by the 2018 Olympic. So if anything, he's the one that has more years in him.
    Oh, like after years of hard work and training, not to mention a World medal and Japanese championship, Hanyu is going to say "OK, I'll sit out this Olympics because I'm 18." What a ridiculous statement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Dai has to go. I don't know much about this injury but I hope he can get a bye at nationals and should be 100% by February. Machida and Hanyu should be 2 and 3. Machida had been consistent and has a fantastic style. I'm worried about Hanyu's quads this year and he seems like nerves could really affect him but is capable of scoring high and would be a great Olympic experience to build on for 2018.
    Does Japan give bye's?

So torn. Can't we just send them all? :(

I think Daisuke and Yuzuru will likely get in. I really like Kozuka, but he hasn't been doing to great this season, so I'm now torn between Noburnari and Tatsuki! It will be interesting to see how those two and Hanyu compare.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    This classic line is applicable to ANYONE.

I am going to keep this line, and take it out each time a skater falls a few times and win a medal.
    Hah, I know. I'm being facetious, since a certain poster tends to spew this crap every time... and now it applies to her favourite skater.

Custom Title
    Takahashi is in.
    Not necessarily. With injury he might not be. Although I suppose the Japanese fed could pull a Russian fed and send a more popular skater to Sochi, even if others rank higher at nationals. With his score at NHK, they could send him to Sochi with the "ISU season's best" clause, even if Oda/Machida/etc. have a better chance of performing well. Like any country, I would hope that the best skaters are sent to represent the country, not the most popular ones. NHK was great for Daisuke but I'm not quite convinced that he has the consistency at this point.

With an 8th place at Worlds (and 5th in the FS), I'm not convinced that Mura is for sure out, although it appears to be that way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Not necessarily. With injury he might not be. Although I suppose the Japanese fed could pull a Russian fed and send a more popular skater to Sochi, even if others rank higher at nationals. With his score at NHK, they could send him to Sochi with the "ISU season's best" clause, even if Oda/Machida/etc. have a better chance of performing well. Like any country, I would hope that the best skaters are sent to represent the country, not the most popular ones. NHK was great for Daisuke but I'm not quite convinced that he has the consistency at this point.

With an 8th place at Worlds (and 5th in the FS), I'm not convinced that Mura is for sure out, although it appears to be that way.
    I honestly don't think Daisuke will be off the team. 1) he's a sentimental favourite 2) reigning OBM - when was the last time an actively competing reigning Olympic medalist was left off the team? 3) sponsorships, endorsements....he has tons.

Custom Title
    In my opinion, there is no way that Yuzuru or Diasuke won't go to Sochi. Both of them (and of course Mao Asada) are japanese favorites for medals. In men there is only one place left and Machida or Oda will grab it.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Who I wish: Takahashi, Hanyu, and Kozuka.
    Who I think: Takahashi, Hanyu and Machida.

I just don't see Oda in the picture. His skating has never appealed to me. He has great knees but almost overdoes his knee bend on landings. I think the only time I ever liked his skating was with his Chaplin program, and that was 4 years ago.

I feel so badly for Kozuka who is one of my faves. Japanese men just have an embarrassment of riches. It sucks he'll be left off.

Banned
    Takahashi is in.

Hanyu is in unless he bombs at both the GPF and Nationals.

Oda needs to beat Machida at both the GPF and Nationals. If he does, he will go to Olympics. If he doesn't, Machida will go.

Mura is out.
    Perfect assessment of the situation IMO. I think this is exactly how things sit for each.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast