Brown Thursday/Black Friday - do you participate? | Golden Skate

Brown Thursday/Black Friday - do you participate?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Anyone here one of the die hard sales shoppers? did you camp out?

Me personally I can't get behind the brown thursday at all - and I'm not diehard enough to care to fend off the crowds on friday. I will be working a booth for two days at a local bazaar, so I'll be dealing with shoppers (or rather children wanting a photo with Santa!) but not shopping...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A couple of years ago I went to a store on Thursday at 11:00 pm. They had a deal on a sewing machine and I wanted it, the deal was just too good to pass up. Other than that I'm with you Toni, the crowds are not worth it to me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Only because of my work for my local newspaper. When I first covered Black Friday in 2006, I arrived to Best Buy at 4 a.m. Friday. This year, I was a Toys R Us at 4 p.m. (!!) today. Sort of interesting to hearing shoppers express a lot of Catholic guilt over making retail employees work on Thanksgiving so they can save some money.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Only when we were very young, very poor, and our kids were very young.

At this point in life, we do Cyber Monday ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Not me....not into this part of XMAS at all.....makes me sad....fighting and hurting people for "gifts"? Even if it wasn't part of XMAS and just called "National Buy and help the Economy by gorging yourself with Consumer Goods and going deep into Debt" day, I would stay home...
Christmas isn't about spoiling greedy kids with gifts of high monetary value...or violent video games....
Coyote "Ebenezer Scrooge" Chris who was a greedy kid.

Ravensque

On the Ice
To me, it's something to be avoided like the plague. I like to shop on Mondays or Tuesdays when it's quiet even if I have to pay a bit more. Of course I don't have any greedy kids to shop for....much.

Johar

Medalist
Not really. I went to the gym, then to a coffee house to get some iced java, then home. In late afternoon I went to the bookstore to get a jigsaw puzzle for a friend's b-day tomorrow, thinking it would be on sale because it was Black Friday.

Wrong!

It was full price--$21. Afterwards a friend told me most sales are in chain stores, which the bookstore is not. Lesson learned!

heyang

Record Breaker
Not me. and even if I did, you can get the same deals online without sitting outside of the store for hours in the dark and cold.

Over the last weeks, there have been stories on the news about people starting to camp out at Best Buy. I don't know the circumstances of these people, but who has time to sit outside of Best Buy for Days to save money on a TV. If you aren't working, I would think it would be more profitable to get a job.... If you're using vacation time to sit and wait, it doesn't seem like the best use of time (is the person saving more per hour vs earnings per hour?)

I also heard about a family who made it a Thanksgiving tradition ... they bring their Thanksgiving meal with them and share it as a family while waiting on line.