RUMOUR: Carolina Kostner might come back to one of her old programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

RUMOUR: Carolina Kostner might come back to one of her old programs

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
She should go back to mozart and last season transylvanian lullaby short, those were masterpieces and olympics worthy and she enjoyed skating them!

msadot

On the Ice
On Crystal Ball and lotto: can't you seel? Whatever she'll decide will bring her a podium: Bolero, Mozart, Tartini, Humoresque, ... because ALL these brought her medals. So, like I said: she can choose the one she loves the most at this point.

kikakiks

On the Ice
I think all of you are raising good points about the programs.
My personal opinion is that none of the two (sp and lp of the current season) are sochi podium material.

However, putting myself in her and her team's shoes, changing 2 programs would probably be too much to handle.

I strongly dislike the humoresque sp, but I believe the biggest disappointment from Lori Nichol is the sherazade lp. If you examine closely the elements amd their order, it is the Bolero program with some variations! It's almost as if she didn't really make any new coreography. Are we sure Lori did the choreo?

All this being said, for me her top programs are the 2007 sp (pachebel canon) and 2012 lp (mozart)

Considering her lp options: no world champion would go back to their "glory" program, risking ruining its memory in the fans and skater's mind. I would love if she were to go back to the 2011 (fawn) program, I think it highlighted really well her "airy" quality and speed, much better than the Bolero. However, the safest option considering that we are already in December would be to pick up the latter.
I am one of those that liked the program overall, mostly for its highlight moments, but believed that it was not displaying Carolina's speed in the proper way.

Options for the sp: I have the feeling she will keep Humoresque, even if I would prefer kast season's or also Canon. As said above. Does any of you think that changing both programs would send a wrong signal to judges?

I also wanted to ask: how many skaters went back to their old programs and had a similarly succesful season with them?

I realized she did that in 2008 (changing back her lp from swan lake to dumsky trio) and it wasn't really successful...

More thoughts please! I am eager to know what you guys think technically and artistically she should do...more than personal preference!

jaylee

Medalist
Options for the sp: I have the feeling she will keep Humoresque, even if I would prefer kast season's or also Canon. As said above. Does any of you think that changing both programs would send a wrong signal to judges?

I also wanted to ask: how many skaters went back to their old programs and had a similarly succesful season with them?

Shizuka Arakawa in 2005-2006, of course. For the Olympics, she turned her existing FS (Chopin Fantaisie-Impromptu) into her SP, and brought back her Turandot FS.

Michelle Kwan brought back her 1998 Olympics SP, Rachmaninoff, for the 2002 Olympics. It sort of worked--she won the SP with it, but obviously, ultimately, she lost.

I don't think that skaters changing programs in an Olympic season is ever seen as a really good sign, but if a program's not working, then best to make the change as soon as possible. Not making the GPF is a good thing for Carolina. She has enough reputation points that she can afford to make a mid-season switch. As long as she shows up at the Olympics in peak shape, she can still be in contention for a medal.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually LIKE Humoresque. It's a whimsical program and her height works for her because it accentuates the whimsy. She knows exactly how to sell it, but she MUST land those jumps!

I do NOT like Scheherezade, and I especially do not like that dress. If she is going to go back to an old program, let it be the FS.

mateusp1

On the Ice
I think all of you are raising good points about the programs.
I strongly dislike the humoresque sp, but I believe the biggest disappointment from Lori Nichol is the sherazade lp. If you examine closely the elements amd their order, it is the Bolero program with some variations! It's almost as if she didn't really make any new coreography. Are we sure Lori did the choreo?

Yeah... I noticed that too. It is the same "structure" of Bolero. Same order of jumps, spins and elements. Same spins positions in the same order. It seems that they changed the music and a couple of movements.

Maybe they thought the Bolero was well scored in PC's area and they decided to keep the idea and "structure".

penguin

On the Ice
Yeah... I noticed that too. It is the same "structure" of Bolero. Same order of jumps, spins and elements. Same spins positions in the same order. It seems that they changed the music and a couple of movements.

Maybe they thought the Bolero was well scored in PC's area and they decided to keep the idea and "structure".

Wow, I didn't notice it on my own but I went to youtube and watched them back to back and they are the exact same program, it's kind of amazing. You could swap the music in the clips and it would be almost the same. I thought she did a fine job interpreting Bolero but maybe that's why I didn't feel much for the Scheherazade, because the choreography wasn't made with it in mind.

mateusp1

On the Ice
Wow, I didn't notice it on my own but I went to youtube and watched them back to back and they are the exact same program, it's kind of amazing. You could swap the music in the clips and it would be almost the same. I thought she did a fine job interpreting Bolero but maybe that's why I didn't feel much for the Scheherazade, because the choreography wasn't made with it in mind.

Yes... almost the same movements and structure. The first time she performed Bolero, I thought it very unique, with that 3S in the end.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

I present to you Michelle's most successful programs in her later years.

Her 2003 program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfluAux0Sf0

And 2004 program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns

They are practically the same programs with the same layout.

As long as Caro lands all her jumps, she will be ok. She needs to skate clean like Michelle. That's all.

elif

Medalist
How much money do you think Carolina paid for that?:laugh: No wonder I didn't liked her program this year.:rolleye:

BlackPack

Medalist
All this being said, for me her top programs are the 2007 sp (pachebel canon) and 2012 lp (mozart)

Agreed. Pachebel and Mozart were gorgeous masterpieces. I love Caro's interpretation of Bolero too. Top 3 for me. If she goes back to those 3, she would have the necessary programs to medal, provided she accomplish the technical scores.

SXTN

Final Flight
The thing is that Caro was totally into the Bolero program and really felt the music.

With Sheherezade you can really sense that she is not comfortable with the program at all and I think this is also the reason why her jumps are very insecure and shaky recently.

I also recall that Caro said that she has always wanted to skate to Bolero, but didn't dare and that Lori finally made her go for it last year. Sheherezade was Lori's idea, not Carolina's. That makes the big difference I think.