Computer Help Please | Golden Skate

Computer Help Please

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I keep getting a message that "Internet Explorer Stopped Working" and it's keeps happening on GS site. I can barely post. Anyone else having a problem here??? I am surprised that I am able to type this up. Please help if you can.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Have you ever tried with Firefox or Chrome?

Meanwhile, we'll be looking into the problem.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Also, what is the setting on your popup blocker in IE?

(I'd use Tools/Internet Options/Delete to clear all cookies, temp internet files & so forth Dee, if you haven't done so already)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IE 10 has caused problems for a lot of platforms as they do not upgrade together, of course. I no longer use IE for my browser because it even messes with my CNN page. Very annoying.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
gsk8 said:
What version are you using?

IE 11

After doing some research, someone mentioned add-ons or other files currently added.

The only other file I see that was installed a couple of weeks ago is Adobe flash player 11 plug-in and active X.

Doris said:
(I'd use Tools/Internet Options/Delete to clear all cookies, temp internet files & so forth Dee, if you haven't done so already)

I did that Doris, I also went in and disabled the Shockwave Flash object....an Adobe Product.

Popup blocker has websites listed like paypal, but not GS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I might try turning off the pop up blocker entirely, just to see whether that helps.

Coriana

On the Ice
I know very little about computers, and the on the line experts failed to solve a problem I was having with IE11. It suddenly was refusing to show Instagram and certain vids. I turned off Active x just because it was a very recent update - and low and behold - all worked fine again.

The other turn off that was actually suggested and helped with a different problem was compatibility view. I had to "off" all the boxes.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This just happened to me today on this forum and this forum alone...I was on the forum and suddenly I got the "Can not display" message and I looked at the URL and it had been hijacked to an advertising website, or what at least looked like one....
I will change some security settings and see if that helps....
chris

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know very little about computers, and the on the line experts failed to solve a problem I was having with IE11. It suddenly was refusing to show Instagram and certain vids. I turned off Active x just because it was a very recent update - and low and behold - all worked fine again.

The other turn off that was actually suggested and helped with a different problem was compatibility view. I had to "off" all the boxes.
Coriana, thanks for the help, I'm trying to do what you suggested. I clicked on Active X but it took me 3-4 tries to post here. When I went to compatibility view, GS was there saying to add, I added but it hasn't helped. The boxes you "offed" in compatibility view are they Display Intranet something or another and Use Microsoft compatibility lists???

I don't know much about computers so I'm always afraid to make changes.

Chris, if you find a solution as well, please post it here.

It surprises me that it's let me type this -- normally, when the ads above are switching it seems like that's when I have the problem. I have to post here or I'll go crazy!!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Coyote, if this happens again, please send me the URL.

Dee, you can add sites to the popup list. Paypal is an example.

Again, IE 9+ has become a pain for a lot of people. It used to be my favorite browser, but with each upgrade, has gone downhill for me. I am unable to browse CNN without it crashing and have problems with several other sites - including sites that use Vbulletin (i.e. GS).

I use Google Chrome or Firefox now.

I can't provide support for IE problems unfortunately.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I use IE because I have less troubles with icenetwork than I do with Firefox or Chrome. So being, lazy, I use it for GS as well.

The IE settings I use are Pop Up blocker off
On addons, Shockwave Flash Object Enabled
Everything else including Java, Disabled
No non IE toolbars, including the new Google Toolbar, which gave me fits. I just have the Status bar, Menu bar, and Command bar (which are intrinsic to IE)

When you bring up www.goldenskate.com, click on the little ripped paper icon next to the web address. That will give you compatability view. You just have to click-I would do this prior to trying to post, if it were giving me problems. At this point, I don't, but then my machines are at IE9 for one and IE10 for the other.

Dee, if you can, please keep us up to date on whether anything helps. You can post on GS from a smartphone or a tablet, other than the pest of typing with one or two fingers or thumbs and coping with AutoCorrect (which I hate)

If by some strange, strange chance you have AOL desktop on your computer, the browser inherent to AOL desktop is not IE, and doesn't have IE problems. Additionally, if you ever have a toolbar hijack malware, it works when Chrome, Firefox and IE are all DOA.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
After doing some reading, if you have the Google toolbar on IE, there is a possibility that that is making things worse.

To turn it off, right click in the area where menu bars are displayed just below the box that lists the web address of the site you are currently viewing, but away from anything clickable. Your Toolbars list comes up. Unclick Google.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey Doris, I followed your instructions for the IE settings and I'm able to post here. Prior to doing the settings I went to the Edge and was able to read and look around for a couple of hours without any shutdown. It was only when I came to LeCafe that I was having the problems. After about 6 tries, I was able to get a screen shot of your directions. I followed them and for right now I'm able to post. I will see what happens in the next couple of days. I don't have nor ever did have the Google toolbar. I don't know if the pop up blocker was the issue. What I don't understand is I had those settings that I changed for over a 1 1/2 years and just in the last week, " the IE message and shutting down" started happening. I'm think that maybe an update caused the problems. Your thoughts?

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spoke too soon, when I click on LeCafe, I get the message. When you clear your browsing history, is there a place where you can go to see if all the files were deleted??

Right now it gave me the message but it let me click on it to remove the message and it's letting me type this.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My thought was the ads might behave like a form of pop-up. If it let you clear the message, that's what had happened to me s couple of times; it hasn't been a major annoyance or I would have gone back to Firefox.

I'll check about updates and get back to you.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
No more problems so far.....but it did look like a pop-up...

Arent computers fun? Got an adware virus the other day...ever time I clicked on IE where google is my home page, I got a redirect to another search engine with ads....had to remove the virus and manually change the properties of the shortcuts.....
Not as bad as doing a system restore to a point a few weeks ago but still it is infuriating that we have to do this at all......

chris who has been in computer heck before...mostly after updates

Coyote, if this happens again, please send me the URL.

Dee, you can add sites to the popup list. Paypal is an example.

Again, IE 9+ has become a pain for a lot of people. It used to be my favorite browser, but with each upgrade, has gone downhill for me. I am unable to browse CNN without it crashing and have problems with several other sites - including sites that use Vbulletin (i.e. GS).

I use Google Chrome or Firefox now.

I can't provide support for IE problems unfortunately.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chris, how did you fix it??? I'm not good with computers so need instructions.