Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Computer Help Please

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Hey Doris, I followed your instructions for the IE settings and I'm able to post here. Prior to doing the settings I went to the Edge and was able to read and look around for a couple of hours without any shutdown. It was only when I came to LeCafe that I was having the problems. After about 6 tries, I was able to get a screen shot of your directions. I followed them and for right now I'm able to post. I will see what happens in the next couple of days. I don't have nor ever did have the Google toolbar. I don't know if the pop up blocker was the issue. What I don't understand is I had those settings that I changed for over a 1 1/2 years and just in the last week, " the IE message and shutting down" started happening. I'm think that maybe an update caused the problems. Your thoughts?

Spoke too soon, when I click on LeCafe, I get the message. When you clear your browsing history, is there a place where you can go to see if all the files were deleted??

Right now it gave me the message but it let me click on it to remove the message and it's letting me type this.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    My thought was the ads might behave like a form of pop-up. If it let you clear the message, that's what had happened to me s couple of times; it hasn't been a major annoyance or I would have gone back to Firefox.

I'll check about updates and get back to you.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-01-2013 at 07:28 PM.

No more problems so far.....but it did look like a pop-up...

Arent computers fun? Got an adware virus the other day...ever time I clicked on IE where google is my home page, I got a redirect to another search engine with ads....had to remove the virus and manually change the properties of the shortcuts.....
    Not as bad as doing a system restore to a point a few weeks ago but still it is infuriating that we have to do this at all......

chris who has been in computer heck before...mostly after updates

Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Coyote, if this happens again, please send me the URL.

Dee, you can add sites to the popup list. Paypal is an example.

Again, IE 9+ has become a pain for a lot of people. It used to be my favorite browser, but with each upgrade, has gone downhill for me. I am unable to browse CNN without it crashing and have problems with several other sites - including sites that use Vbulletin (i.e. GS).

I use Google Chrome or Firefox now.

I can't provide support for IE problems unfortunately.

Chris, how did you fix it??? I'm not good with computers so need instructions.

I have no idea. I am an idiot when computers are the topic....I cleared my cache, I made sure my "internet Options" Security was "medium high"...and it never came back....Pop up blocker is "on" .
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Chris, how did you fix it??? I'm not good with computers so need instructions.

the virus may still be on your computer, though, Chris which opens you up to problems later on. if you have a plan with a virus protection company (like norton or macafee or avg) then you might want to contact them and let them do a sweep. I ended up with one of those viruses a few weeks ago and even after I got great help from Doris and others I still couldn't get it all and had to have Norton help me out. Caught the virus on Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I still couldn't get it all and had to have Norton help me out. Caught the virus on Skype.
    Toni, were you having the same problems like me too???

no I had the problem Chris had with the pop ups. It was a virus.

the virus may still be on your computer, though, Chris which opens you up to problems later on. if you have a plan with a virus protection company (like norton or macafee or avg) then you might want to contact them and let them do a sweep.
    Toni, I contacted my virus protection and they looked at my computer. They said I didn't have a virus but he reset my IE to the default settings. He said that should help and stop all the messages.

I am computer inner working illiterate so I have no idea why he reset the IE. I asked but he said to keep the computer from those pesky messages, not his words but mine.

Can anyone explain why he reset the IE. If I'm doing something wrong I would like to know what so I won't do it anymore.

Probably you installed something that "helpfully" reset your IE settings. What I can't say.

Or you had a malware or virus that your antivirus program removed, but it left traces in your IE options.

It's something that can happen again, of course.

Did he show you how to reset IE? If not, here's how.

From Explorer, select Tools from the top bar
    Pick Internet Options from the Tools Menu (it's the last thing in the list)
    Click on the Advanced Tab.
    The Reset button is at the bottom of the page.
    Everything will come up in IE as it did when you first switched on your computer new.
    You will have to reset your home page, your search engine choice, all that stuff.
    This is sometimes useful.
    If you want to disable some addons that are part of the default set, you will have to disable them.

Doris, the only thing I did in the last couple of weeks was delete my browsing history....could that have done something??

No-that's something everybody does, and it doesn't change your basic settings.

Do you have an antivirus program BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Do you have an antivirus program BTW?
    Yes, I have McAfee.

Not a bad idea....I will do a Malwarebytes sweep and a full sweep with my Norton Internet Security....BTW, we should mention to the folks at home that they need an INTERNET security program. An anti virus program looks for burglars in your house after they have gotten in. An internet security program stops them at the front door. Unfortunately, not all programs do everything or catch everything....Facebook was hacked today and 2,000,000 people had some info compromised....a hospital in WA was hacked and 20,000 people had their SS numbers compromised....here is a rather interesting graphic of internet attacks...
    http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/a-l...g-ddos-attacks
    the virus may still be on your computer, though, Chris which opens you up to problems later on. if you have a plan with a virus protection company (like norton or macafee or avg) then you might want to contact them and let them do a sweep. I ended up with one of those viruses a few weeks ago and even after I got great help from Doris and others I still couldn't get it all and had to have Norton help me out. Caught the virus on Skype.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast