Computer Help Please | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Computer Help Please

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have no idea. I am an idiot when computers are the topic....I cleared my cache, I made sure my "internet Options" Security was "medium high"...and it never came back....Pop up blocker is "on" .
Chris, how did you fix it??? I'm not good with computers so need instructions.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the virus may still be on your computer, though, Chris which opens you up to problems later on. if you have a plan with a virus protection company (like norton or macafee or avg) then you might want to contact them and let them do a sweep. I ended up with one of those viruses a few weeks ago and even after I got great help from Doris and others I still couldn't get it all and had to have Norton help me out. Caught the virus on Skype.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
the virus may still be on your computer, though, Chris which opens you up to problems later on. if you have a plan with a virus protection company (like norton or macafee or avg) then you might want to contact them and let them do a sweep.

Toni, I contacted my virus protection and they looked at my computer. They said I didn't have a virus but he reset my IE to the default settings. He said that should help and stop all the messages.

I am computer inner working illiterate so I have no idea why he reset the IE. I asked but he said to keep the computer from those pesky messages, not his words but mine.

Can anyone explain why he reset the IE. If I'm doing something wrong I would like to know what so I won't do it anymore.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Probably you installed something that "helpfully" reset your IE settings. What I can't say.

Or you had a malware or virus that your antivirus program removed, but it left traces in your IE options.

It's something that can happen again, of course.

Did he show you how to reset IE? If not, here's how.

From Explorer, select Tools from the top bar
Pick Internet Options from the Tools Menu (it's the last thing in the list)
Click on the Advanced Tab.
The Reset button is at the bottom of the page.
Everything will come up in IE as it did when you first switched on your computer new.
You will have to reset your home page, your search engine choice, all that stuff.
This is sometimes useful.
If you want to disable some addons that are part of the default set, you will have to disable them.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doris, the only thing I did in the last couple of weeks was delete my browsing history....could that have done something??

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No-that's something everybody does, and it doesn't change your basic settings.

Do you have an antivirus program BTW?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Not a bad idea....I will do a Malwarebytes sweep and a full sweep with my Norton Internet Security....BTW, we should mention to the folks at home that they need an INTERNET security program. An anti virus program looks for burglars in your house after they have gotten in. An internet security program stops them at the front door. Unfortunately, not all programs do everything or catch everything....Facebook was hacked today and 2,000,000 people had some info compromised....a hospital in WA was hacked and 20,000 people had their SS numbers compromised....here is a rather interesting graphic of internet attacks...
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/a-live-map-of-ongoing-ddos-attacks
the virus may still be on your computer, though, Chris which opens you up to problems later on. if you have a plan with a virus protection company (like norton or macafee or avg) then you might want to contact them and let them do a sweep. I ended up with one of those viruses a few weeks ago and even after I got great help from Doris and others I still couldn't get it all and had to have Norton help me out. Caught the virus on Skype.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I have McAfee.

I had McAfee once remove a malware toolbar hijacker, but it did leave my IE settings changed-that could be what happened. You can check your McAfee event log to see whether it removed anything recently.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can check your McAfee event log to see whether it removed anything recently.

I will do that Doris. After resetting my IE, I had a horrible couple of days, trying to get things back to the way I want them. I couldn't get into my calendars, I couldn't click on anything on my desktop but..................for right now, I'm back......I hope. Doing research and getting things back took a long time. It was mainly this site that was giving me all the problems and just LeCafe. I don't understand it but like I said I think everything is working well today.

Doris, thanks so much for all your help!!!! I think you should get a raise!!!