Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72

Thread: Unusually good or bad performances, and reasons given

  1. #46
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    *ahem* getting back on topic

    Brian Joubert in 2006-- His old coach said he wasn't training enough


    With regards to the infamous Tonya Harding skate lace debacle, things like that happened all the time it seemed, so I think when her skate lace broke people thought here we go again.

    Seriously, let's keep the arguing to the minimum here. Sarah skated the best that night, Michelle and Irina did not. Sarah deserved her gold, and before that she was a competitor. She was the bronze medalist for a reason. Saying it was God or whatever is being pretty dismissive and bitter about Michelle not winning. It's sport, and surprise victories happen.

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    *ahem* getting back on topic

    Brian Joubert in 2006-- His old coach said he wasn't training enough


    With regards to the infamous Tonya Harding skate lace debacle, things like that happened all the time it seemed, so I think when her skate lace broke people thought here we go again.

    Seriously, let's keep the arguing to the minimum here. Sarah skated the best that night, Michelle and Irina did not. Sarah deserved her gold, and before that she was a competitor. She was the bronze medalist for a reason. Saying it was God or whatever is being pretty dismissive and bitter about Michelle not winning. It's sport, and surprise victories happen.
    I agree. Sarah skated the best performance that night. In fact, she skated her best ever. And she had a lot of necessary help from Michelle and Irina. I don't mean to dismiss her victory by saying there was divine intervention involved- the gold medal goes to the skater who is the best in that competition and, in Salt Lake, that was undoubtedly Sarah. I just mean that the odds of her performing that freely and cleanly and getting help from Michelle and Irina (and Sasha Cohen who really could've been 1 3T away from an OGM herself) were astronomical. 9 times out of 10 Sarah probably wouldn't have managed to come from 4th in the short to secure the upset. Hence, the (semi-serious) assertion that providence played a role in her OGM.

  3. #48
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    OK then. Coming from 4th to 1st was difficult but not impossible under the old 6.0 system, Michelle actually did just that in the 1996 Grand Prix Final after Lu Chen fell apart, and was fourth. Maria Butyrskaya jumped from 5th in the LP to 1st at the 1998 Europeans and Urmanov jumped from sixth to first. Sarah. IMO, (yes this a cliche, I know), Sarah skated to win, whereas Michelle and Irina looked like they skated not to lose. Sasha was aggressive to go for it on the 3Lz-3T combo. I agree it's too bad Michelle didn't win, there could be a support club of athletes who win it all but the OGM. Had Michelle not fallen, I think she would have won, it was the fall that did her in.

  4. #49
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    Sasha would have been on the podium in 2002 had she just doubled that triple toe on combination. I think it was a huge mistake for her to go for it especially since there was a serious lack of speed on the landing of the lutz that was also shaky. She came so close to having two clean programs.

  5. #50
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    I agree. Sarah skated the best performance that night. In fact, she skated her best ever. And she had a lot of necessary help from Michelle and Irina. I don't mean to dismiss her victory by saying there was divine intervention involved- the gold medal goes to the skater who is the best in that competition and, in Salt Lake, that was undoubtedly Sarah. I just mean that the odds of her performing that freely and cleanly and getting help from Michelle and Irina (and Sasha Cohen who really could've been 1 3T away from an OGM herself) were astronomical. 9 times out of 10 Sarah probably wouldn't have managed to come from 4th in the short to secure the upset. Hence, the (semi-serious) assertion that providence played a role in her OGM.
    It was always something with Tonya! I think the broken lace was a way for her to skate last in that group so that Nancy would see her land those huge jumps. I wish Tonya would have gone for the triple axel especially since she was landing the consistently in practice right in front of Nancy's coaches no less!

    Sara deserved her medal. It amazes me that some still debate the results and say that the combinations were under-rotated. What was Michelle's deal with the flip and her toe slipping out? That was a silly error. I would have put Sasha ahead of Michelle in the short program with Irina in first.

  6. #51
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    There is not a chance that Shizuka Arakawa would've won in Torino if Sasha Cohen and Irina Slutskaya had skated clean programs. I know that, in Cohen's case, having 2 mistakes in the LP wasn't a huge departure from the norm. Still, her R & J program was so beautiful that if she'd done 6 clean triples (and not fallen), she'd probably have won. Ditto Slutskaya, whose program was way less artistic but was technically superior to Shizuka's.
    Shizuka Arakawa landed 5 triples cleanly. Sasha Cohen landed 5 cleanly. Shiz beat her by almost 8 points.
    If she's done 6 clean triples, what triple would it take to overcome 8 points? A triple axel?

    Sasha even lost to Shizuka in spins. She's an inferior skating in every single aspect of skating, and if judged correctly, would be 20 points behind.

    Slutskaya is no way superior to Shiz technically. Did you see Shiz's jumps? They are huge and have flow in and out. Again, if judged correctly, the other girls would have much lower GOE compare to Shiz.

    People who saw Shiz live at Torino said she was so fast, and so smooth, and out league all of her competitors. No one came close.

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    In 2006, if they all skated like they had planned, Shizuka would still have won.

    3x3 in the SP and 7 triples in the LP would be unbeatable.

    Remember she beat both Slutskaya and Cohen in skating skills in the short program when all 3 were "clean"
    I would expect her to pull away further in the LP had she skated cleanly and with 7 triples as planned.

  8. #53
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    982
    Unusually bad: Laetitia Hubert's 1992 Olympic FS.
    Another one I can think of is Midori Ito at 1991 Worlds. Every time I start to feel sorry for Laetitia Hubert's Olympic experience, I remind myself of how she smashed into Midori before the SP and immediately get over it.

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Unusually bad: Laetitia Hubert's 1992 Olympic FS.
    Another one I can think of is Midori Ito at 1991 Worlds. Every time I start to feel sorry for Laetitia Hubert's Olympic experience, I remind myself of how she smashed into Midori before the SP and immediately get over it.
    Wow, that's harsh. You make it sound like Laetitia did it on purpose. It was an accident. And no skater deserves to have that kind of performance at the Olympics.

  10. #55
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Wow, that's harsh. You make it sound like Laetitia did it on purpose. It was an accident. And no skater deserves to have that kind of performance at the Olympics.
    I view it like I view Kozuka's triple loop into Takahashi's back or Tonya Harding's Olympic boot problem. It doesn't diminish my respect for their abilities, but it diminishes the amount of pity I feel for their disasters, harsh as that might sound.

  11. #56
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,406
    Hubert was a 17 year old skating in the final group at her home Olympics. It seems rather obvious that the pressure got to her. The 1991 collision with Ito was clearly an accident and to even suggest that she deserved some kind of karmic retribution for it is disgusting.

    Skaters don't need your pity. But unless they purposely engage in unsportsmanlike or reckless behavior, they deserve respect and compassion. Nobody deserves to be hurt in a practice collision, nobody deserves to have the sort of LP Hubert did in 1992, and skaters don't deserve misfortune because you have decreed that they are fault for something. That's not being a fan, that's being a jerk.

    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Brian Joubert in 2006-- His old coach said he wasn't training enough
    Joubert has always attributed his disappointing showing in Torino to skating an LP that did not suit him (Lord of the Dance), and has said that one of his biggest regrets was not changing it to The Matrix earlier than he did; he skated very well at 2006 Worlds after going back to that program.

    I'm not sure which coach said that, but I seriously doubt it was true.

  12. #57
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Hubert was a 17 year old skating in the final group at her home Olympics. It seems rather obvious that the pressure got to her. The 1991 collision with Ito was clearly an accident and to even suggest that she deserved some kind of karmic retribution for it is disgusting.

    Skaters don't need your pity. But unless they purposely engage in unsportsmanlike or reckless behavior, they deserve respect and compassion.
    I don't suggest that she deserved "karmic retribution" or that she deserved to skate like that. However, I don't feel as torn up about it as I might about Ito, who was prevented from winning one Olympic gold by figures and prevented from winning 2 worlds by a combination of unusual mistakes and accidents.

  13. #58
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,609
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I agree with you that it probably wasn't outcome determinative, but I do sympathize with her because training for years for your moment on the big stage, you do hope everything lines up for you to give the best performance.
    Well actually yu forgot there is waiting for the score and all too. Josee was a nervous skater but unlike Manley she never conquered her nerves. Had she, she would have been another Rochette - athltetic yet she had great personality and charm.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-04-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: fix Quote

  14. #59
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,609
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    In 2006, if they all skated like they had planned, Shizuka would still have won.

    3x3 in the SP and 7 triples in the LP would be unbeatable.

    Remember she beat both Slutskaya and Cohen in skating skills in the short program when all 3 were "clean"
    I would expect her to pull away further in the LP had she skated cleanly and with 7 triples as planned.
    I believe looking at the history of the skaters that had Cohen and or Slutskaya had skated 6 triple clean long programs there is no issue they would have beaten Arakawa. Right or wrong both Cohen and Slutskaya would have been scored higher.

  15. #60
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    One thing that sticks in my mind is that Nationals (IIRC) where Johnny Weir came out, skated for about five seconds, and suddenly left the ice, never to come back. It took me years to trust him after that.
    you mean the one where he fell and basically ripped his legs from his body on a botched landing of the 3A(?)? I think he had a real reason to skate off... he was obviously in pain. that whole men's LP was a mess.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •