Tech question: Edge spins | Golden Skate

Tech question: Edge spins

M

Mathman3

Tech question: Edge spins

Do skaters spin on an edge or on the flat? Are different edges required for different spins? Are there "change of edge" spins?

Thanks.

Mathman

D

dlksk8fan

Re: Tech question: Edge spins

Mathmann I am going to try and answer your question.

The blade that someone is spinning on should be traveling in small circles on a back inside edge. You want the circles to be on top of each other, so that the spin stays in one place and not "travel". A skater should bear their weight on the ball of their foot and travel on a back inside edge.

C

cborsky

I agree with you dlksk8fan, however, different spins are on different edges. In general any forward (C-CW rev left foot, or CW rev right foot) spin is on a back inside edge, and a backward (C-Cw rev right foot, or CW rev left foot) spin is on a back outside.

Forward Scratch Spin: backward inside
Backward Scratch Spin: backward outside

However there are exceptions...

Forward Camel Spin: usually backward inside, however can be pushed over to a forward outside edge
Backward Camel Spin: usually backward outside, however can also be pushed over to forward inside edge

I

icenut84

Just to clarify it a bit more for you mathman - it's quite rare that a skater spins on the forward outside edge (pushed over from a back inside edge, i.e. a normal "forward" spin). The skater can, however, push a "backward spin" (which spins on the back outside edge and is the right foot for CCW, left foot for CW skaters) onto the forward inside edge. For an example of this, have you got Sasha Cohen's Worlds LP on tape? She fell out of a camel spin at one point (after a flying camel) - she did the flying camel, did a couple of rotations on the BO edge, then changed it to the FI edge. If you watch her foot carefully you'll see her change it, and you'll see the way her skate is travelling. Hope that helps :) (Sarah Hughes did this in her Olympic LP too - flying camel that switched to a FI edge after a couple of rotations. They usually change back to Bo for the exit.)

M

mathman444

Thanks for the replies. This definitely gives me something else to look for.

Mathman

B

BravesSkateFan

re

Fumie also switches to an inside edge on her camel. She did it in her LP this year. check out your worlds tape.

K

Kayskates

Re: re

FO edge forward camels are not that uncommon, especially at elite levels. If you watch the Lussi spin tapes (a training video), Lussi teaches a forward camel with a change from the standard BI edge to a FO.

Kay
<a href="http://www.skatejournal.com" target="_new">www.skatejournal.com</a>