Skater's Training Schedules | Golden Skate

Skater's Training Schedules

ivy

On the Ice
There has been much hand wringing and fuss over skaters having to skate both the team and individual events at Sochi. It made me wonder:

A - How often do most skaters skate their full programs in training? With all the jumps and levels for spins and steps. Once a week? More? Less? I'm sure it varies with individual skaters and coaches.

B - How much more energy goes into a competitive performs versus a training performance?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Skaters list how many hours per week they train on their ISU bios

How that time divides between doing full programs and doing other things varies by coach. Some coaches (I'm thinking I remember Frank Carroll is one) insist on runthroughs. Some other coaches swear by just doing segments of programs.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think the Russians and Europeans do more segment training while the Americans do more run throughs though I'm not sure if all run throughs include all the jumps. I remember Krall said that she had Patrick do one run through every afternoon, either the SP or LP, and it was always a show other skaters gathered to watch. I'm not sure if those included all the jumps because it was obviously exhausting for him as well competing in the home rink at high altitude Colorado Springs in 2011.

Alex D

Record Breaker
As the others have said, a skater does have off and on ice practice. While on the ice they might run their full program or they don't. You don't have a specific rule there, it depends ;)

At events and the practice there similar things can be seen. You have skaters that do every element of their program, while others leave out their jumps or pretty much all elements and just cruise around.

I agree with what was said above me. Americans tend to do their full programs more often, at least from what I have seen.

Many Skaters also have a different schedule depending if they are on high or low season. Again it varies, Elena Glebova does practice 30 hours each, while Fleur does have a 2 hour difference and does practice less in her high season and Isa does practice 23 in low and 24 in high.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Often at competition practices, skaters who skip jumps do them mentally which may be just as effective as actual physical practice without the risks. However, I once watched Joubert do all his jumps but not the footwork/skating during his segment with his music!

KKonas

Medalist
I don't see how you can build up stamina or consistency if you are not doing program run-throughs (with jumps in the case of singles/pairs) at least several times a week on a regular basis both as you near and during the competitive season.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I don't see how you can build up stamina or consistency if you are not doing program run-throughs (with jumps in the case of singles/pairs) at least several times a week on a regular basis both as you near and during the competitive season.

That's been my observation as well. Nothing can substitute for building stamina as a full run-through, except maybe for double run-throughs! More than that though, every run through is also a test to see how the skater keeps the program mentally stitched together and continuing on after a fall or other mistake...and these definitely happen in practice run-throughs no matter how well-trained a skater normally is. Part of developing that fighter, never-say-die instinct.