Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: German Nationals Berlin Dec 14 to 15 2013

Columnist
    Just watching the pairs practice and I got to say, its the first time this season that I saw Aljona & Robin live and I got to say, the whole choreo, music and their attitude on the ice fits so well to their final season on the ice. Its quite emotional already in the practice for me.

About Maylin & Daniel but also Mari and Aaron I spoke before, but just for that that have forgotten it - they have very good skates as well, especially Mari & Aaron - I like theirs a lot!

15:55:00 Warm up
    16:01:30 Maylin & Daniel
    16:07:20 Aljona & Robin
    16:13:10 Mari & Aaron

Columnist
    Practice Ladies SP

All Ladies on the ice, my favorite not only because she is like me from Saxony is Anne Zetsche. Really like her attitude and the way her program is choreographed, she also belonged to my favorites already last week at Dortmund.

Also to note is of course Nathalie Weinzierl and Sarah Hecken - both with very different programs - fighting for that one olympic spot.
    Both girls have not reached the required total score yet - but due the fact that Germany has secured its spot in the team event, one of them will most likely also compete in the Ladies competition.
    I really lliked how Sarahs step Sequence is choreographed, she really has a lot of fire in that element, while Nathalie has a very sexy performance to Fever.

Talking about sexy, do not write off Sandy Hoffmann yet, she has a lovely and very elegant skate - I totally enjoyed watching her on the ice. She will close the evening tonight.

Starting Line up:

Group one:

17:51:30 Jennifer Parker
    17:57:20 Luisa Weber
    18:03:10 Jessica Füssinger
    18:09:00 Anne Zetsche
    18:14:50 Anneli Kawelke

Group 2:

18:27:10 Minami Dobashi
    18:33:00 Nicole Schott
    18:38:50 Jennifer Urban
    18:44:40 Sarah Hecken
    18:50:30 Nathalie Weinzierl
    18:56:20 Sandy Hoffmann

Columnist
    Practice Ice Dance SD:

Quite funny to watch the practice as both pairs are so different. We have Nelli & Alex with their funny program in which Alex looks like a total Nerd - wearing Glasses and some pretty nerdy clothes while Nelli is dressed in a very elegant green dress.

Tanja & Stefano however, are dressed very elegant in black and white, performing their Foxtrot to New York New York and their Finnstep to Borsalino.

Starting times are:

19:20:30 Tanja & Stefano
    19:26:20 Nelli & Alex

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Alex D, thank you so much for the article about Nelli & Alex! I had never heard how they got together before.

Columnist
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Alex D, thank you so much for the article about Nelli & Alex! I had never heard how they got together before.
    Your Welcome

Columnist
    Scores for the men,

1. Matthias Hechler 48.23
    2. Paul Fentz 67.45
    3. Christopher Berneck 60.35
    4. Martin Rappe 54.72
    5. Franz Streubel 67.95
    6. Peter Liebers 81.76

Nice program by Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    If you have any questions, just shoot.
    When do the junior skaters compete? Except for synchro.

Good score for Liebers. I like his skating and hope he does well at Euros. This is the first season he tries the quad, right? Has he nailed it in competition? He and the rest of the German team really deserve to go to Sochi.

Columnist
    Scores for the pairs,

1. Wende Family 59.96

Both are a bit sick right now, gastric flue but the program didnt seem to suffer under it. But you can imagine what a big issue this could become at the LP tomorrow.
    As for the program, their opening double Toe went fine, but the second had to be downgraded sadly as Maylin had to open her´s up. The other elements all went fine, DS, Comb. Spin and Step sequence received level 4 - also good GOE between 1-2.

2. Aljona & Robin 76.29

Both are dressed in blue and white, looks great! Not sure if Aljona made the dresses though

It was the first time that I actually saw them live this season and I got to say, their SP is really impressive, especially the triple Flip - great speed and height.

As I said earlier, the way how their programm is choreopgraphed, the expression in Aljona´s face especially during the step sequence - it just works so well with their last season. I only noticed one mistake and this could become a costly one at Sochi. Robin struggled with their Toe jump.

3. Mari & Aaron 60.42

Just like Maylin and Daniel, one mistake (he fell at the triple Toe) but still the second place at the moment.

Columnist
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    When do the junior skaters compete? Except for synchro.

Good score for Liebers. I like his skating and hope he does well at Euros. This is the first season he tries the quad, right? Has he nailed it in competition? He and the rest of the German team really deserve to go to Sochi.
    Yes Peter performed a Quad Toe (tiny issues but landed) at the start of his programm and also a very nice triple Lutz - triple Toe that received a highlight distribution bonus.

As for the juniors, well they do have a seperate german nationals in January, those will be help at Oberstdorf.

Columnist

Synconized Skating

Wow just saw some Syncronized skating, damn thats some impressive stuff! I already have trouble to not collide with a single person, but those young ladies somehow managed to not collide with up to 16 skaters!

Every skater in those large groups had to be in sync with the others, but also aware of whats happening around them - really impressive stuff.

They also have such cute names like Scarlet, Skating Graces etc. My favorites definately were the Skating Graces Novice, loved their dresses in the colours of Saxony which they also represented. Also from my home state were the Saxony Ice Pearls they were different and in a uniform outfit, but not worse at all.

I think it was a real pity that there were only one or two teams actually competing today + they only had FS´s to offer! I wonder why this is the case? Are there just not enough young ladies available for that type of sport?

And why was it only Saxony, Bavaria and Berlin that had teams ready for the competition? Questions I need to find the answers to for sure.

Without competition Team Berlin Novice won in the advanced novice Sys Free skating, with competition however the Skating Graces did in the Basic Novice A, versus the Saxony Ice Pearls.

Definately need to check this more often in future, lovely sport and imagine this at the Olympics - I say why not!?

Ladies in a bit...

Columnist
    Ladies competition

Group 1

Jennifer Parker 48.50

First of all, this young lady just always reminds me of Sasha Cohan. She just does something on the ice when she skates, which is really enjoyable. Every spin was level four, her layback - wow, it received only 2´s and a three! Show me a skater who is able to do this, they are quite rare!
    She has an amazing flexibility and her expression of a shy kitten just worked so lovely with that soft music of Ladies in Lawender, that she skated to. Jenny managed to put her triple Toe - double Toe combination on the ice, while both the double Axel and her triple Rittberger were a bit shaky - she still managed to stay on her feet.

Jenny is coached by Brian Orser and was originally born in Canada - I could imagine something big in future coming with this young lady.

Luisa Weber 34.27

Oh dear, that wasnt her day unfortunately. Lets just skip the talk about her jump elements and talk about something nice! Her spins like the flying camel received a level three, her combination spin even level four. Its a pity that she let her negative emotions out so often, but understandable after such a tough skate.

Jessica Füssinger 31.39

I loved her reaction after the triple Toe - single Toe, she gave herself a fist bump and us a big smile. I wish it would had kept going like this, but unfortunately did she fall on her double Axel and triple Sal which was also underrotated.

Still, a nice young lady and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for her.

4. Anne Zetzsche 44.61

I absolutely like this young lady. She has such a great personality on the ice, her whole appearance fits so well to the white black pattern of her dress, which always reminds me of a curtain and I dont mean this disrespectful at all, quite the opposite actually. It looks absolutely fantastic and works so lovely with her blond hair and even the gloves fit amazingly well. For me the girl with the best dress and style today!

Anne is one of those skaters for me, that I instantly let in my heart when I saw her for the first time. Her whole attitude just works for me, she is a bit like a Fin - a graceful butalso sensitive skater. The way how she does the double Axel..., at other skaters those jump preperations can look a bit irritating and boring - but Anne? She just does it in style and its most likely my favorite element of her, even if it was just a single Axel today. Her triple Toe - double Toe however was very well performed so was the level three step sequence.
    Absolutely looking forward to her tomorrow - great girl with a wonderful style.

5. Anneli Kawelke 44.08

Oh god that poor girl!

I think she was crying at the end, something just went totally wrong there. The music kept playing and playing and playing, and that poor girl was standing there in her final pose and the music just didnt stop. I so felt for her, that must have been horrible!

Anneli wore a red dress with long red gloves, she looked very elegant and performed her double Axel and the triple Sal - double Toe combination just fine, same applies to her triple Toe. She even had 2 level 4 spins in her program - its just not understandable what happened. It was such a pity!

Definately rooting for this one tomorrow!

Group 2

6. Minami Dobashi 35.10

What I liked about her was the interaction with the crowd. She always tried to crack a smile for them, I liked that. Minami performed a double Sal - double Toe combination, sadly her triple Toe afterwards had to be downgraded.

7. Nicole Schott 47.36

She definately rocked her green dress, I really liked that. She also rocked those level 4 spins at the end, damn those looked great! Nicole also performed a triple Toe - double Toe combination and a nice double Axel. Just her triple Rittberger was sadly underrotated.

8. Jenny Urban 44.81

Wow, that young lady really impressed me with her ability to just never stand still. She was in constant motion, her legs, arms, fingers - it was great to see and she kept this going for the full SP! Amazing stamina she has, but also the smile never left her eyes! I am sure she is also a very good dancer, as she never lost control over her body, her moves were spot on!
    Jenny performed some lovely level three spins and a great stepsequence of equal level. Just her jumps were a bit off, but as I said - it still was a great performance with an amazing attitude throughout the program.

9. Sarah Hecken 47.56

Wow, while I saw it so often - it still always shocks me. Sarah jumps a triple Toe - triple Toe, the first Toe with a great wide and then ... both underrotated, so was her trple Sal. You could definately feel the "shock" in the crowd, they couldnt believe their ears when they heard the score of only 47.56.

But now to the positive things, her program was quite dramatic and she managed to express that with her movements and the expression in her face, especially the level three step sequence showed that well. While you should never lose hope, right now Sarah doesnt look like she is going to her second olympics, back in Vancouver she was the youngest athlete for Germany, now she might have to watch it from her couch :(

10. Nathalie Weinzierl: 60.83

During the practice and again during the SP I had just one question! How can someone perform with such big ear rings!? She obviously can and it was a very sexy skate as well. Nathalie performed to fever and she expressed that "fever" very lovely with her glothes (short & sexy) - but also her emotions. She is quite a girl to be honest, she is totally "cold" so to speak, but once the music goes on - boom she is there!

Nathalie didnt put a triple triple combination on the ice today, but a very good triple Toe - double Toe and a lovely triple Lutz. Her other elements like the fying sit spin or the comb. spin received a level three or four!

Nathalie is currently in the lead by a tad more than 2 points before....

11. Sandy Hoffman

She is together with Anne my favorite for sure. Lovely interpretation of her music with the haunting vocals, it was just spot on with her movements on the ice. She nailed her jumps like the triple Sal, Triple Rittberger - double Toe on the ice, she had a wonderful comb. spin at the end, great speed and I say it again, her attitude is absolutely gorgeos.

The way how she floats over the ice, is fantastic - yes there are skaters with triple triple combinations and triple Axels, but seriously that young lady has absolute grace on the ice and she isnt afraid to place a double Axel at the end! One of those I would absolutely love to see at Budapest, no offence to the other skaters but she is definately one of my favorites together with Jenny Parker.

End Result SP Ladies:

1 Nathalie WEINZIERL MERC B-W 60.83
    2 Sandy HOFFMANN DESV SAS 58.43
    3 Jennifer PARKER ECO BAY 48.50
    4 Sarah HECKEN MERC B-W 47.56
    5 Nicole SCHOTT EJE NRW 47.36
    6 Jennifer URBAN ECO BAY 44.81
    7 Anne ZETZSCHE DREC SAS 44.61
    8 Anneli KAWELKE ERCM BAY 44.08
    9 Minami DOBASHI DEG NRW 35.10
    10 Luisa WEBER MERC B-W 34.27
    11 Jessica FÜSSINGER ECO BAY 31.39

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Yeah! Peter Liebers going all in in his SP, attempting the quad: 4T; 3A; 3Lz3T
    I love this program to "Clock" by Coldplay, performed by 2Cellos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFMJAVbEB24

Columnist
    Day one, as it happened:

Internet vs. food

A good journalist can live without food and water for quite some time - but take away his internet for a few minutes or even a whole weekend and he will starve to death.
    Many of my collegues had no internet access today, something just went wrong with the internet provider that should take care of that. Lucky me, I always have my mobile internet with me - so I was safe and could give you the updates that you are used to.

What we got loads of though, were drinks (non alcoholic of course) and cookies just like some cucumber salad.

Ik bin en Berliner

If you believe it or not, there were actual people in the house! I was watching the other nationals like from Sweden or Finnland on stream and there were hardly any people, glad that at Berlin we had some and I would even say it was not badly crowded to be honest.
    Exactly that crowd, went behind Christopher Bernecks today, when his music first studdered like a broken record and then totally stopped working. The last minute and a half the crowd was cheering him forward, keeping their hands busy and Christophers feet as well. It was great to see, that the people in the crowd understood the situation and kept pushing him! Christopher scored 60.35 points and is currently on fourth position.

The Quad

Yes we had him today, he came from Berlin and listens to the name Peter. But not like Peter and the Wolf, but more like Peter and the Toeloop. While the jump itself wasnt perfectly landed, he still did exactly this - land it! But this wasnt the only big jump of him today, he also nailed a triple Lutz - triple Toe quite late in his program and performed some nice level two and three elements, but also a level four change foot sit spin.

Second came Paul Fentz trailing by about 14 points, he performed a triple Lutz - triple Toe combination and a clean triple Axel, but sadly fell on his triple Rittberger. I really liked his step sequence and the flying camel level four that he performed and how the crowd got behind him during that.

Third is the german Mozart, Franz Streubel who can do a lot better than what he had shown us today with his triple Lutz, double Toe combination.

Sweet little 16

There was a figure skater once, that figure skater wanted to skate. Sadly there was no ice around. So that little figure skater, was looking for another and they started to build an ice rink. More and more young ladies saw how those two build the ice rink, so they joined them and when they were 16 and the ice rink finished, they learned each other known so well, that they decided to skate together from now on and syncronized skating was born.

While this is probably not exactly how it happened, it does make a good introduction to the next topic in my daily review. I am honest, I seldom watch syncronized skating, reason being? Well, its not in TV, not in the internet - its nowhere except in the Ice halls of Saxony, Berlin or Bavaria.

I really have to say, that I was absolutely impressed by what all those girls and one boy did today. While I am not exactly keen on all the elements, it wasnt as hard to understand as I thought first. A skater basically needs a very good footwork, speed and the ability to read all the other skaters and interpret together the music that they skate to.
    Then you need to perform specific elements, like lines, blocks, circles or wheels. By doing so you must stay in sync and most important, not collide with other skaters if you move towards each other. But not everything must be together or syncronized. It can also happen that a specific individual skater performs a spin herself, like seen today at some of the groups. They split from the group so to speak and perform something I would describe as a freestyle. Just like in dance groups, if you are familiar with that.

I must admit, I would really like to see a lot more of this - but unfortunately there were never more than two teams per discipline. My favorite team most likely came from Saxony, they had the cute name Skating Graces Novice , but also their elder "sisters" were really nice to watch when they performed a dubstep interpretation, where they partly moved in slow motion, but dont forget the Starlets or the Saxony Ice Pearls either - great groups!

A team that stood out however was Team Berlin 1. Not only did they have one guy in their line up (maybe for lifts tomorrow?), no they also had outfits that totally reminded me on my time in the US, with the cheer competitions. Absolutely loved their outfit and what they did with the music.

In general, a great sport that I need to keep track of. There are actual world championships of that type of skating, I wonder why they dont just add it to the regular skating events? I would definately support it.

The beauty and the beast

Nelli & Alex, the princess and the nerd. I absolutely loved it how they started their performance today. Alex was a fool, a nerd - a guy no girl wants. Yet Nelli came over and most likely fell in love with the empty expression in his face, or his awesome glasses maybe...
    While he was shy and turned his back to her, she convinced him to start a dance. What sounds so simple, developed to a very enjoyable and funny ride on the ice with loads of small details in their choreographie.

A totally different approach but not less interesting was the performance by Stefano & Tanja who came second trailing by about 4.80 points. Those two can do big things in future - their approach is totally different, but they can hit you in your heart.

One last time

this Aljona and Robin said at the begin of the season. About 10 years ago, they won here at Berlin and there is no doubt about it that they will do the same this time.
    But their road wont finish here at Berlin, no it will at Sochi and only gold counts. Problem is, a strong russian pair in Volozhar / Trankov - who wants that gold at least as much as those two from Chemnitz do.

The program of Aljona and Robin is very emotional, its totally choreographed for that one purpose, to hit you in your heart and it did in my case. I was sitting there with an open mouth and yes, I like it as much as I like V&T - maybe even a tad more.
    The performance itself today was very good, but with a small error at the double Toe. A error that wont matter here, but could be the decider at Sochi.

A decider we still need about our second german team! Right now Vartmann / Van Cleave are on that second position, closely followed by the gastic flu plagued Wende Family. Both pairs had a mistake today, bot pairs want that ticket and both pairs need to skate for their Olympic dream tomorrow. While Daniel and Maylin have been at Vancouver already, Mari & Aaron are still Olympic virgins so to speak.

Jenny, Sandy & Anne

I said it before, keep an eye on Sandy Hoffman and I was right. Damn what a big performance this young lady had today. She floats over the ice with an elegance, that is just fantastic and her jumps like the triple Rittberger - double Toe were spot on, just like her attitude on the ice is. While she isnt leading, that is Nathalie Weinzierl with a very hot and sexy performance to Fever - she still is the one together with two others, that just stood in my head today.

One of my big favorite girls is Anne Zetzsche since Dortmund. I just love how she rocks that dress, which looks a bit like a curtain. For me the best outfit of the day and the way how she goes to her Axel is just something else, but I really like it. The preperation is even more exiting than the actual jump, at least for me.

Also exciting was the performance of the Candadian girl Jenny Parker who is coached by Brian Orser. Her expression of that shy kitten, just worked lovely with the Ladies of Lawender music and oh my god is this young lady flexible. She bends her legs, like a Russian!

Last but not least a few words to Sarah Hecken. Sarah got her jumps once again downgraded, its a problem everyone knows about - but yet it doesnt seem to go away. Its so sad, because I really like Sarah since she was that young junior girl, that some praised in every article they wrote and she even was our youngest competitor at Vancouver! Personally, I just wish she would be able to perform her jumps - its whats keeping her back since years and its a real pity in my opinion.

Ultima last but not least, a big heads up to Anelli Kawelke. The music guy loved her so much, that he played the XXL version of her CD and therefore she did run into a few issues at the end of her performance. Such things just happen and they will make you stronger! In the end you have won two fans today, the music guy and me .

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    End Result SP Ladies:

1 Nathalie WEINZIERL MERC B-W 60.83
    2 Sandy HOFFMANN DESV SAS 58.43
    3 Jennifer PARKER ECO BAY 48.50
    4 Sarah HECKEN MERC B-W 47.56
    5 Nicole SCHOTT EJE NRW 47.36
    6 Jennifer URBAN ECO BAY 44.81
    7 Anne ZETZSCHE DREC SAS 44.61
    8 Anneli KAWELKE ERCM BAY 44.08
    9 Minami DOBASHI DEG NRW 35.10
    10 Luisa WEBER MERC B-W 34.27
    11 Jessica FÜSSINGER ECO BAY 31.39

Thanks for the reviews.

I hope that Weinzierl will win the FS tomorrow and will qualify for Euros and Olympics. I was quite shocked when she landed that triple lutz out of steps in the SP. I checked the result from last year and there Hecken got higher PCS than Weinzierl; glad to see that changed this year.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Anybody knows what the minimum points required by the German Olympic Committee are?

If Weinzierl hasn't reached them yet, there's only a few competitions left where she can try to do that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast