Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Obscure figure skaters you remember even if no one else does

Mikkeline Kierkgaard Denmark: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrrbMsRmNk
    Ivan Dinev Bulgaria: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-zgxactTiY

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lanebalou View Post
    Mikkeline Kierkgaard Denmark: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrrbMsRmNk
    Ivan Dinev Bulgaria: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-zgxactTiY
    Mikkeline was such a pretty skater if she was ever able to develop her triples, including the lutz and flip and gain consistency and confidence she'd a force!
    I remember Ivan Dinev, I think he retired after 2006.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Kevin van der Perren (Belguim) - His programs did nothing for me artistically but, wow, what a powerful jumper! His last skate (Worlds 2012) shows this. What is he doing now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqS6l3xoyas

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    Kevin van der Perren (Belguim) - His programs did nothing for me artistically but, wow, what a powerful jumper! His last skate (Worlds 2012) shows this. What is he doing now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqS6l3xoyas
    Kevin... obscure?! I'd hardly use that word to describe him!

As you probably know, Kevin is married to Jenna McCorkell. They are currently coaching quite a few young skaters in Belgium, where they live.

If you look at this thread that I started in October, and click on the link in Trewyn's reply, you will see that Kevin's name features very frequently in the coach's column.

Also, last January, he and Charissa van Dipte won the 2012/13 series of “Sterren op de Dansvloer”, the Belgian version of "Strictly Come Dancing".

Here is a photo of them holding the trophy.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Kevin... obscure?! I'd hardly use that word to describe him!

As you probably know, Kevin is married to Jenna McCorkell. They are currently coaching quite a few young skaters in Belgium, where they live.

If you look at this thread that I started in October, and click on the link in Trewyn's reply, you will see that Kevin's name features very frequently in the coach's column.

Also, last January, he and Charissa van Dipte won the 2012/13 series of “Sterren op de Dansvloer”, the Belgian version of "Strictly Come Dancing".

Here is a photo of them holding the trophy.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan
    Thanks for all the info! I wasn't sure whether to put Kevin in the "obscure" category or not. He had a long and relatively successful competitive career and appears to have been well liked in the skating community. I decided to ask about him here anyway. He certainly is obscure to non-diehard fans. Then again, the majority of skaters are obscure to non-diehard fans.

Custom Title
    Then there's Lucinda Ruh, World Spinning Champion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq8lOm0LJ0A

What about Stephanie Rosanthol? I'll always remember this bizarre SP, sorry the quality of the video is awful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgphETWcMNM

Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Then there's Lucinda Ruh, World Spinning Champion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq8lOm0LJ0A
    Holy cow that girl can spin better than Alissa!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    And that's saying something, Alissa is an amazing spinner!

I don't know what it is but all the Swiss skaters are amazing spinners: Denise Biellman, Nathalie Krieg, Lucinda, Sarah Meier, Stephane Lambiel. All of them. Lucinda is the best, IMO. I think it's her height she can use her long limbs to create all sorts of beautiful and difficult spins. Lucinda never finished in the top ten, but she was great to watch, such joy and appeal. Her height made jumping difficult, but I could watch her do nothing but spin all day. She holds the world record.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    You're welcome! I loved Jessica Mills. I never saw her sister, however.
    Phoebe Mills was the 1988 Olympic gymnastics co-bronze medallist on balance beam (along with Romania's Gabriela Potorac). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58YQ4jcaUwA
    She placed behind gold medallist Daniela Silivas of Romania and Yelena Shushunova of the former Soviet Union.

My sort of 'obscure' skater that I remember never went elite but she was memorable - Katherine Healy! She went professional at just 11 and also went on to a successful career in ballet as a prima ballerina. I used to have the book "A Very Young Skater" by Jill Krementz featuring Katherine. I'm a huge fan of hers to this day.

Katherine Healy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WumPvDo1lwg

Here's Katherine in a ballet performance of - her version of the "Black Swan" coda
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANo-uE8wtdI

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    Thanks for all the info! I wasn't sure whether to put Kevin in the "obscure" category or not. He had a long and relatively successful competitive career and appears to have been well liked in the skating community. I decided to ask about him here anyway. He certainly is obscure to non-diehard fans. Then again, the majority of skaters are obscure to non-diehard fans.
    That's why I have a problem with people using the phrase "obscure skater" on this forum.

Earlier in the year, some members were criticising me for starting a thread about an "obscure skater" getting married. The thing is, Karla Quinn is the best known Ladies skater in Northern Ireland after Jenna McCorkell. So, although she might be "obscure" to skating fans in North America, she is a household name to skating fans here in Ireland.

So, obscurity is totally subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    And that's saying something, Alissa is an amazing spinner!

I don't know what it is but all the Swiss skaters are amazing spinners: Denise Biellman, Nathalie Krieg, Lucinda, Sarah Meier, Stephane Lambiel. All of them. Lucinda is the best, IMO. I think it's her height she can use her long limbs to create all sorts of beautiful and difficult spins. Lucinda never finished in the top ten, but she was great to watch, such joy and appeal. Her height made jumping difficult, but I could watch her do nothing but spin all day. She holds the world record.
    I'm friends with Lucinda on Facebook, and she is a really lovely girl! And a VERY talented skater!

Unfortunately for me, Lucinda retired around the time I started watching skating, so I didn't see her in action at the time. But, I too enjoy watching old videos of her, in total amazement! (If I tried to spin at even a 10th of the speed she does, I would fall in a heap... and that's not even trying to do it on ice! )

About a year-and-a-half ago, Lucinda had twin daughters. She is forever posting photos and videos of the twins on Facebook (and even some on YouTube). And I don't blame her one bit - they are absolutely adorable!!!

Mind you, Lucinda and her husband will have their hands full with 2 girls growing up at the same time! So, I wouldn't trade places with either of them!

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post

I'm friends with Lucinda on Facebook, and she is a really lovely girl! And a VERY talented skater!

Unfortunately for me, Lucinda retired around the time I started watching skating, so I didn't see her in action at the time. But, I too enjoy watching old videos of her, in total amazement! (If I tried to spin at even a 10th of the speed she does, I would fall in a heap... and that's not even trying to do it on ice! )

About a year-and-a-half ago, Lucinda had twin daughters. She is forever posting photos and videos of the twins on Facebook (and even some on YouTube). And I don't blame her one bit - they are absolutely adorable!!!

Mind you, Lucinda and her husband will have their hands full with 2 girls growing up at the same time! So, I wouldn't trade places with either of them!

CaroLiza_fan
    That's awesome! I can't even get into a full spin, she was a great skater, just had trouble jumping due to her height, I expect. She made up for it with her spins, too bad the 6.0 system didn't really give spins credit. Under the IJS she'd rack up huge points with the quality, the difficulty, etc. She skated because she loved it, marks didn't matter to her.

Thanks for letting us know what she's doing. She is going to be busy!

I agree about obscure being subjective. We all have skaters we remember well who we love, and some that we consider more obscure.

I remember Dick mentioned how Lucinda's spinning ability actually hindered her jumping ability. She had an ability to spin on the ground but it's too much for the air.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the update on Lucinda, CaroLiza_fan. I remember her with great delight. Fortunately she had a bit of a pro career while the well-televised Landover competition was still ongoing, and so home audiences in the U.S. got to watch her at her best without worrying whether she needed to make a particular jump. Yes, even Alissa can't match what this lady could do. Sidenote: because Lucinda's father traveled all over for business, she lived in many countries and became fluent in several languages. At one point she trained alongside Yuka Sato under Yuka's parents. Yuka said in a televised feature that Lucinda was fluent enough in Japanese so they could converse in the language.

Sasha'sSpins
    : Katherine Healy is a fave of mine as well, and I too have the book that features her, A Very Young Skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    I remember Dick mentioned how Lucinda's spinning ability actually hindered her jumping ability. She had an ability to spin on the ground but it's too much for the air.
    Again, I wonder if that was her height. Easy for her to use her long limbs to be creative for spins and flexibility, but hard to control in the air. I remember her training with Yuka Sato. She also trained in China, too. I looked up her book today, when doing my Christmas shopping but I couldn't find it. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas?

Custom Title
    You may already be aware of this, Coppertop, but just in case, keep in mind that Ruh's book has a certain amount of sad stuff in it. She didn't have an easy time of it earlier on, apparently--another reason I'm glad to hear that her current life, including kids, is so happy. I'd suggest reading a review of it on Amazon or somewhere before searching it out.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast