Obscure figure skaters you remember even if no one else does | Golden Skate

Obscure figure skaters you remember even if no one else does

coppertop1

On the Ice
One of the interesting things on the "Poised to break through" thread is some names of skaters who disappeared, some of which some skating fans may not remember. We all seem to have skaters we remember even if they just disappeared.

Who are some skaters you remember?

For me:
In 1996, the Canadian Junior Figures skating medalist in men were: Colin Thompson, Jayson Denomme, and Ben Ferreira. I think most Canadian figure skating fans do remember Denomme and Ferreira, they made the national team several times, and Ferreira went to Worlds a few times. Thompson just disappeared after 1998

Hanae Yokoya of Japan. I mentioned her in the "Poised to break through" thread. She retired in 1999.

Keyla Ohs, a Canadian ladies skater in the mid 90s. She had nice presentation, but no confidence in competition. Our ladies at that time all had that problem. She disappeared after 1999 when she had to withdraw from Canadians at mono.

Nicole Watt-- another young Canadian, she had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, which forced her to retire.

Netty Kim: Canadian Champion in 1995, though she did not qualify for the World Championships that year. She said she quit because she lost the joy in skating. She also had an eating disorder

Marcus Christensen: A Canadian man who was part of the World team in the early 90s. Never mastered his 3A, so never did make it very far.

I know, I know. I'm such a figure skating nerd!

Vakhtang Murvanidze! :rock: He always took the ice like he was the master of ceremonies introducing the other skaters. :laugh:

Andrea Best :love: and Trevor Young :party2: They made it to nationals a couple of times, but they were superstars at local shows in the Detroit area.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I know, I know. I'm such a figure skating nerd!
:laugh: don't worry.

I have an example of a skater I fondly remember, who quickly disappeared. She skated at the beginning of 2000 and I came to think of her again this autumn when I saw her name in a technical panel. Immediately when I saw her name I saw her in front of me, skating with joy in her dark green costume.

I think she stuck in my mind because she had lots of energy and was fun to watch. Maybe also because she used the not so common dark green color. I saw her first time at 2000 Europeans where she was in 9th place. She never did better and stopped competing after a few years.

Here she is at junior worlds 2000 in Oberstdorf ; Tamara Dorofejev Hungary, competing against Jennifer Kirk(gold?), Sarah Meier and Sasha Cohen. Tamara was 4th.

coppertop1

On the Ice
She was fun :) I like the commentators, too. They're positive and impartial not overly nit-picky like Dick and Peggy. Who are they?

I think we're all skating nerds here. It's how some skaters you remember even if they do disappear.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Two spinning geniuses! Nathalie was so much fun! Can you imagine the points they'd rack up for their spins now? They could just keep going.

Frame spin? Is that the one the skater goes into a tripod position?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joanna Ng, whom I posted about in the poised to break through thread.

Cindy Bortz - she beat Kristi Yamaguchi & Rory Flack for the Jr National title. She had a spiffy triple lutz.

Sydne Vogel from Alaska, who beat Tara Lipinski for the US Jr National title in 1995.

Michael Chack-famous for getting chacked ;) at the 1993 US championships.

Natasha Kuchiki, who with Todd Sand, finished third at Worlds in Pairs for the US-the next year he dumped her for Jenni Meno. It's sad that someone who did that well for the US in pairs has been completely forgotten. She made a try in singles, but never made the world team.

Rachel Mayer & Peter Breen in ice dance -they made it to Worlds one year from the US. She's the girl that Dick Button called a perfect pre-Raphaelite blonde or something like that.

Ice dancers Michael Verlich & Jeanne Miley - Michael used to do barrel jumping at the gala at US championships back in the early 1990's.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I called it the tripod spin in my head, I'm sure with that position it gets some names.

I remember when Beacom got nailed for tax evasion.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I remember Pliuta from Skate Canada in 1998. He tried the quad lutz, but took a nasty fall!

Anyone else remember Julia Lautowa of Austria?