Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 117

Thread: Obscure figure skaters you remember even if no one else does

  1. #91
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    You may already be aware of this, Coppertop, but just in case, keep in mind that Ruh's book has a certain amount of sad stuff in it. She didn't have an easy time of it earlier on, apparently--another reason I'm glad to hear that her current life, including kids, is so happy. I'd suggest reading a review of it on Amazon or somewhere before searching it out.
    Someone else (maybe it was you) said much the same, esp about her mother.

  2. #92
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Someone else (maybe it was you) said much the same, esp about her mother.
    What kind of childhood did Lucinda have?

  3. #93
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    From what someone said on here, her mother would wake her up, make her run around, drill her really hard.

  4. #94
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,493
    When the book came out, there was enough discussion on a GS thread somewhere to make me very sad for Lucinda. I deliberately didn't read the book, though I'm glad she was able to write it because it clearly gave her some sort of solace to get things out in the open. I know it made me want to hug my own mother out of gratitude.

    But we fans got to experience the best part of Lucinda's life. Her skating was truly poetry in motion, and she proved the point that a skater doesn't need awesome jumps to be either innovative or memorable. Thank goodness she peaked at a time when there was a viable pro circuit, so she could have an opportunity to use the parts of skating she was good at and leave out the jumps. Though even in her competitive career, she drew eyes to her. Here's her 1999 world long program, to a ravishing piece of music, Reinhold Gliere's Harp Concerto, to which she does complete justice:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0fvU4wnp34

    Even disregarding her spins (as if we could!), look at how she flows from position to position and uses her whole body to express the mood. People, this is how to skate to music.

    Notice also how enthusiastic Dick Button and Peggy Fleming are about her. This is their commentary at its best, not just boosting an American skater but praising someone unusual and pointing out important details in that skater's work.

  5. #95
    I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    894
    First, thanks to everyone for these great flashbacks, this thread is a real treasure chest!

    I wouldn't call her an "obscure skater" (hey, she made it to 3 Olympic Games!), but of those who didn't medal at big events, she's one of those I believe are really worth remembering: Mojca Kopač from Slovenia.

    Here's her 1997 Worlds SP to the Pulp Fiction OST where she placed 13th.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfZFbzJe4s4
    - Dick Button was positively surprised: "She's pretty spiffy(?)! You know? Got nice quality to her skating!"
    - Notice the uproar from the audience when they announce her marks: Slovenia didn't exactly have a "big lobby"!
    - The 2002 Salt Lake Judging Scandal could have been avoided!!! The French Judge gave her a 27th place. She was the second last to skate, and Chen Lu (who I love) had a really poor performance and ended up as 25th, meaning not qualified for the free and not (yet) qualified for the 98 Olympics. So the french judge disregarded all reality and gave her almost the lowest score of all competitors, since she wanted Chen qualified. Yes, you guessed it: The french judge was Marie-Reine Le Gougne, THE French Judge from Salt Lake.

    She fought successfully against the odds in many regards: In the early 90's, she had a really rough time to go through as she wasn't able to practice in Slovenia since Serb Tanks were... in the way, so she had to go creative ways, like train in Oberstdorf, Germany, whenever possible.
    I'm a fan of how much thought she put into her programmes, not just doing a "random programme to random music to fit in all the jumps without tiring choreography" like many elite skaters did...

    I loved her quality of "gliding", with deep edges - particularly in her last seasons. Those are unfortunately not represented on youtube. Only this, but with Chris Isaak music(?!?), you can see what Mojca's "gliding" abilities have become after a few years. (this was in 2004)
    Her music then was - Kojiki by Kitaro (Orochi)/Once upon a time in America (modern arrangement from Apollo Four Fourty - the version Bobrova/Soloviev used last year)/Kojiki by Kitaro (Matsuri)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HIQjmnBF4

    She later earned a university degree in journalism and is now head coach of Uschi Keszler's "team excel national bridge program" at Ice Works in Aston, Pa. She got married and had a little daughter in 2009

  6. #96
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    First, thanks to everyone for these great flashbacks, this thread is a real treasure chest!

    I wouldn't call her an "obscure skater" (hey, she made it to 3 Olympic Games!), but of those who didn't medal at big events, she's one of those I believe are really worth remembering: Mojca Kopač from Slovenia.

    Here's her 1997 Worlds SP to the Pulp Fiction OST where she placed 13th.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfZFbzJe4s4
    - Dick Button was positively surprised: "She's pretty spiffy(?)! You know? Got nice quality to her skating!"
    - Notice the uproar from the audience when they announce her marks: Slovenia didn't exactly have a "big lobby"!
    - The 2002 Salt Lake Judging Scandal could have been avoided!!! The French Judge gave her a 27th place. She was the second last to skate, and Chen Lu (who I love) had a really poor performance and ended up as 25th, meaning not qualified for the free and not (yet) qualified for the 98 Olympics. So the french judge disregarded all reality and gave her almost the lowest score of all competitors, since she wanted Chen qualified. Yes, you guessed it: The french judge was Marie-Reine Le Gougne, THE French Judge from Salt Lake.

    She fought successfully against the odds in many regards: In the early 90's, she had a really rough time to go through as she wasn't able to practice in Slovenia since Serb Tanks were... in the way, so she had to go creative ways, like train in Oberstdorf, Germany, whenever possible.
    I'm a fan of how much thought she put into her programmes, not just doing a "random programme to random music to fit in all the jumps without tiring choreography" like many elite skaters did...

    I loved her quality of "gliding", with deep edges - particularly in her last seasons. Those are unfortunately not represented on youtube. Only this, but with Chris Isaak music(?!?), you can see what Mojca's "gliding" abilities have become after a few years. (this was in 2004)
    Her music then was - Kojiki by Kitaro (Orochi)/Once upon a time in America (modern arrangement from Apollo Four Fourty - the version Bobrova/Soloviev used last year)/Kojiki by Kitaro (Matsuri)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HIQjmnBF4

    She later earned a university degree in journalism and is now head coach of Uschi Keszler's "team excel national bridge program" at Ice Works in Aston, Pa. She got married and had a little daughter in 2009
    She was undermarked at Worlds in 1997,with so many contenders falling, she skated cleanly and also and with nice attention to detail. I would have had her in the top ten. Ahh, the politicking of the old 6.0 system.

    The French drops shows us a preview of what's yet to come. 27th. I love Chen Lu but yeah, it was NOT a good year for her (and understandably so considering what she was going through), to place Kopac below Chen was ridiculous.

  7. #97
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,149
    WENDY BURGE

    She had wonderful flow, strong jumps and even did a variation on the back camel spin to back sit transition that was frankly more 'creative' (as she lingered in the position just before the sit in almost a lay-back style) but was not given the 'naming credit' that Dorothy did with her similar Hamill Camel.

    Another of the talented ladies in deep American fields, where and when the "champion" was anointed, carried the day (or was carried) through an Olympic cycle, and the others played 'brides maid' throughout, even if they had world beating talent.

  8. #98
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,493
    I remember Wendy Burge. She was indeed wonderful. I think she was described as someone who could jump almost as high as she was tall.

    Funnily, I once met a romance author named Wendy Burge, but she assured me that she was not "that" Wendy. So I told her about her namesake, and I hope she looked up the skater and learned a bit about her. Thanks for reminding me of this excellent competitor!

  9. #99
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    I love seeing all these skaters who may not have made it big but still make an impression. I remember at the 1996 Canadians, there was S Stephanie Morrisette. I remember her because she skated to One man's dream by Yanni, one of my favourite pieces of music Just goes to show how to figure skating fans, medals aren't the only thing that matter.

    Joanne Carter of Australia. She stands out because Australia is not a country you think of when it comes to skating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar_ES6_636c

  10. #100
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,316
    Tugba Karadamir of Turkey!

    I first noticed her skating at her first Olympics, in 2006.
    where she was first to skate in the SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPNVEzm0pIA

    I loved some of the little charming details she put into her skating.

  11. #101
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    I like her too, very enjoyable to watch Turkey is not a country you'd think of for figure skating. She trains in Canada, and idolized Jennifer Robinson (and looks like Jennifer!)

  12. #102
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    910
    I love skaters from non-traditional powers. I've been rooting for Turkish skaters this season.

    Go Turkey!

  13. #103
    “Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Joanne Carter of Australia. She stands out because Australia is not a country you think of when it comes to skating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar_ES6_636c
    Speaking of Australian skaters, there's also Stephanie Zhang and Anthony Liu. I remember all three of these skaters from the 2001 Goodwill Games. OT: Why don't we have the Goodwill Games anymore? 2001 was the last one, AFAIK.

  14. #104
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    Speaking of Australian skaters, there's also Stephanie Zhang and Anthony Liu. I remember all three of these skaters from the 2001 Goodwill Games. OT: Why don't we have the Goodwill Games anymore? 2001 was the last one, AFAIK.
    I think the Goodwill Games were cancelled for financial reasons :( too bad.

  15. #105
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    630
    Stephanie Rosenthal is now engaged and planning to be married in 2014

    Jozef Sabovcik is married to the former Jennifer Verili https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzTkamae9bs also a skater. She had a great 3lutz. Nationals was never a good competition for her. Too bad more people didn't get to see the performances we got to see at sectionals.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •