Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters!

Custom Title

Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters!

http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/spo...36_147244.html
    During the upcoming Grand Prix Finals, all eyes will be on the diminutive Russian who overcame a growth spurt last year to establish herself as a future star in her sport. Her skating is generating more talk and excitement than Asada, whose desperate obsession with the triple axel has sometimes been a source of ridicule rather than admiration in the Korean press.

Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    What an ill-informed article. Too many inaccuracies to count.... seriously???

Banned
    I am a Julia fan but im not that delusional, Mao is the heavy favorite in the GPF and she will be competing on home ice.
    this article just screams Mao bashing and wanted to divert an article that she is the not favorite which is not true
    the source *Korean Times

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    What an ill-informed article. Too many inaccuracies to count.... seriously???
    the source explains it all http://koreatimes.co.kr

Custard Title
    "Careful Yu-na, there are these Russian skaters who will eclipse you and become the next big thing!!!"

For the third year in a row. Korean media who cried wolf?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    That was kind of a funny article ;-)

I don't see what's so "inaccurate" about this article.
    Mao can't land 3A, but she still attempts it. Obsessed? Definitely.

So what's wrong with this article

Custom Title
    I don't think Julia can defeat Yu Na unless Yu Na makes several mistakes and Julia skates perfectly. Her jumps are not as good as Yu Na's, though she does do seven triples (including the loop) to Yu Na's six. The odds greatly favor Yu Na, but nothing is ever a sure thing at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    I don't see what's so "inaccurate" about this article.
    Mao can't land 3A, but she still attempts it. Obsessed? Definitely.

So what's wrong with this article
    ''

Yes, Mao can still land a clean 3A, there are many recent videos on youtube that proves Mao is still landing clean 3A, as well as comments from other skaters saying she's landing clean 3A in practices, right before the competition. While she lands them in practice with no problem, she tends to mess up in competitions. I don't think she should quit that jump, I think she needs to overcome whatever it is that's causing her to mess it up in competition.

I don't think Yuna has anything to worry bout. Julia is good but not refined. I think she needs to slow down and hold her moves a bit longer. The jumps are obviously there but not the grace, she still needs to mature some. Yuna is light years ahead of any other female skater at the moment.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/spo...36_147244.htmlDuring the upcoming Grand Prix Finals, all eyes will be on the diminutive Russian who overcame a growth spurt last year to establish herself as a future star in her sport. Her skating is generating more talk and excitement than Asada, whose desperate obsession with the triple axel has sometimes been a source of ridicule rather than admiration in the Korean press.
    Wow, what a thing to say!

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    "Careful Yu-na, there are these Russian skaters who will eclipse you and become the next big thing!!!"

For the third year in a row. Korean media who cried wolf?
    This "article" is such a joke. Judging by the number of backhanded compliments to her competitors, it's obviously another ploy by Korean-based media to get even more people aboard the "Yuna Kim is so great/Korea never lose" train. They're intentionally hyping the Russian babies up so that when Yuna beats them, people (who don't watch skating on a regular or even a semi-regular basis) will be like, "Oh, such talented skaters weren't even a challenge for the Great Yuna Kim" or some crap like that.

Personally, while I love Yuna, I don't see why one has to put down other skaters just to make her look good. She's good enough that she doesn't even need these kind of free BS/PR articles.

Eh. Nationalism, I guess.

Custom Title
    For one thing, Julia hasn't had much of a growth spurt yet. At 15, she's still built like a 10-year-old, with no chest and no hips. She doesn't get much ice coverage with her tiny jumps and relies on bizarre acrobatics to sell her spins, which travel quite a bit.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    For one thing, Julia hasn't had much of a growth spurt yet. At 15, she's still built like a 10-year-old, with no chest and no hips. She doesn't get much ice coverage with her tiny jumps and relies on bizarre acrobatics to sell her spins, which travel quite a bit.
    I agree with this. While Julia is a very gifted skater, she still looks like a girl at the tween end of teen and doesn't yet have the athleticism of her elder competitors.

It is so obvious that this article was written just for Mao looks bad, no to praise Julia, I bet if Julia beats to Yuna they would be attacking her.
    And really korean press found ridiculous Mao trying 3A? what a losers , they are impressed for the 3lutz-3t of Julia but for them Mao`s 3a is ridiculous

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast