Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters!

Krislite

Medalist
They do this every year to stir controversy. Last season they hyped up Osmond and talked like she was a threat to Kim at Worlds. :laugh: And now it's Olympic season so I expect even more of this over the coming weeks.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
This "article" is such a joke. Judging by the number of backhanded compliments to her competitors, it's obviously another ploy by Korean-based media to get even more people aboard the "Yuna Kim is so great/Korea never lose" train. They're intentionally hyping the Russian babies up so that when Yuna beats them, people (who don't watch skating on a regular or even a semi-regular basis) will be like, "Oh, such talented skaters weren't even a challenge for the Great Yuna Kim" or some crap like that.

Personally, while I love Yuna, I don't see why one has to put down other skaters just to make her look good. She's good enough that she doesn't even need these kind of free BS/PR articles.

Eh. Nationalism, I guess.

You seem to misinterpret Korean media.
They are not that kind to Yuna and do not always stand up for Yuna.
When they praise and hype up Yuna's competitors(especially new faces. Last year Osmond, Gold etc. were hyped), they do that either with pure intention or to make public feel vulnerable for Yuna's status. :laugh:

bara1968

On the Ice
Oh all I can say is that, this sort of article serves only one purpose : get more clicks -> earn more money! (via advertisements)

Don't click on them, don't read them unless you want to earn them more money!

(FYI, the hottest thing in Korea nowadays is Yuna Kim and journalist just wants to drag her into their articles in controversial way so that they can increase the number of (angry) people reading them. Dragging Mao into the article serves the same purpose. Just don't read it!)

thinspread

On the Ice
^^ So true. They do that for clicks. It's been a long time since I stopped taking seriously ANY of the Korean articles about Yuna Kim. I can get all the info I need just from what she actually says and does.

cooper

Medalist
people are still reading korean times?? lol..

they produced garbage after garbage.. and to aftertherain.. for your information before you start making conclusion about this article screams yuna is the greatest etc.. please do so some research first.. this is the same site that criticize yuna when she had a beer commercial.. this is the same site who put every garbage from korean media including other negative articles about yuna.. talk about generalization.. :rolleyes

aftertherain

Record Breaker
people are still reading korean times?? lol..

they produced garbage after garbage.. and to aftertherain.. for your information before you start making conclusion about this article screams yuna is the greatest etc.. please do so some research first.. this is the same site that criticize yuna when she had a beer commercial.. this is the same site who put every garbage from korean media including other negative articles about yuna.. talk about generalization.. :rolleyes

Why can't I make a conclusion about this particular article? We are talking about this article--singular.

And my conclusion, again, is that it is craptastic.

I don't particularly care what else this news outlet has published and I don't think the "research" you say I should do will change my opinion about how this article is craptastic. Also, as far as I'm concerned, almost all major Korean (and non-Korean) news outlets have both praised and criticized Yuna's actions at one point because she is a celebrity and that is what journalists (should I be putting this word in quotations?) do nowadays and that is how they get advertising $$$. (Among other things.)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
YunaBliss said:
The writer gives praises in good faith and gushes over Julia and young Russian skaters.

Erm... the problem is that this doesn't come off as nice, honest or well-intended in the least - it just screams "hype them up to burn them down again!".

YunaBliss said:
I am so sick of these Maobots making issue out of nothing. Mao who?

What Maobots here? :sarcasm:

RABID

Final Flight
They do this every year to stir controversy. Last season they hyped up Osmond and talked like she was a threat to Kim at Worlds. :laugh: And now it's Olympic season so I expect even more of this over the coming weeks.

With all due respect to you and your opinions which I value very much, Krislite; Osmond is not Julia. It isn't that hard to conceive Julia making the podium. The trumping of Osmond on the other hand was a whole lot of wishful thinking and fantasy.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Erm... the problem is that this doesn't come off as nice, honest or well-intended in the least - it just screams "hype them up to burn them down again!".

You see, that's where I have issue. I personally don't think Julia is all that except for her flexibility and spins, but to me, the writer's praise of Julia comes across as sincere and genuine.

How nicer can you be than saying that "At her best, Lipnitskaia is what great ladies’ figure skating is all about"? Please do enlighten me.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You see, that's where I have issue. I personally don't think Julia is all that except for her flexibility and spins, but to me, the writer's praise of Julia comes across as sincere and genuine.

How nicer can you be than saying that "At her best, Lipnitskaia is what great ladies’ figure skating is all about"? Please do enlighten me.

I agree. It's just an opinion--and not an unsupportable one. There is nothing wrong with this article that I can see. Praising Julia doesn't mean someone is criticizing Yu Na. It's not a zero sum game.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
YunaBliss said:

It would be nice too to say she's the greatest thing that ever happened to the world and her indescribable beauty could probably cure cancer. Yet, it's so overblown (on anyone, not just Julia), that it comes off as mockery. And if you'd look through this thread, a lot of people are getting this feeling too. (oh, I forgot, that's of course just because they're all just Maobots, although nobody wrote anything to merit such an insult)

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Wow. I am shocked, really. Saying "At her best, Lipnitskaia is what great ladies’ figure skating is all about" comes off as mockery to you? Is it because it is written by a Korean journalist? What if a Russian journalist said the same thing? How cynical has this world become!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yeah, because this whole article is that one sentence you've just picked out... Julia is great and I actually started liking her this season, but she's not a match for Yuna, as this article tries to make it sound.
And no, it's not because it was written by a korean journalist. I can't stand the japanese media either (specific highlights are the 3a fixation or how they were all over Takahashi vs Hanyu last year). If it was a russian article, I still wouldn't like it.

jaylee

Medalist
It would be nice too to say she's the greatest thing that ever happened to the world and her indescribable beauty could probably cure cancer. Yet, it's so overblown (on anyone, not just Julia), that it comes off as mockery. And if you'd look through this thread, a lot of people are getting this feeling too. (oh, I forgot, that's of course just because they're all just Maobots, although nobody wrote anything to merit such an insult)

I think you and others are overreacting just a wee bit. The headline is ridiculous and the reference to Mao is unnecessary and insulting, but aside from that, its treatment of Julia and other Russian skaters looks sincere and properly supported by facts. The article cites other commentators and specifically describes Julia's strengths and technical abilities in a way that is fairly accurate. She does have flexibility, a triple lutz/triple toe, etc.

The headline is overblown, but the article isn't. The article certainly isn't a mockery of Julia, nor is it a "ploy" to hype up Yu-Na's competitors to make Yu-Na look better when she [supposedly] eventually beats them, as aftertherain put it. [The only OGM Yu-Na already has in the bag is the one she earned in 2010.] An article that seems to be complimentary of Julia is really an article that mocks Julia because it's hyping her up to make Yu-Na's eventual victory look even greater? Really? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and a Korean news article hyping up other skaters is just a Korean news article hyping up other skaters.

Icey

Record Breaker
Julia is wonderful , but her lp music implies artistry that might not quite be there yet. It is tailored made for her and a brilliant choice by her team. But she is still rough around the edges when compared to skaters like Yu-na and Mao. That being said, I don't think winning the gold at the Olympics is out of the question, but I think more likely a silver or bronze.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
jaylee said:
I think you and others are overreacting just a wee bit.

What made me react so much in the first place was the 'Maobots' comment here, less so the article itself. That doesn't mean the article isn't stupid though, it is.
Argh, and btw: I said mockery in response to that exaggerated example I brought up early to clarify that sounding nice doesn't always mean nice. The article itself doesn't sound like mockery, but it sounds sneaky. And just saying 'well, except for this part and that part...' doesn't work. Headline and Mao reference are part of the article.

jaylee

Medalist
What made me react so much in the first place was the 'Maobots' comment here, less so the article itself. That doesn't mean the article isn't stupid though, it is.
Argh, and btw: I said mockery in response to that exaggerated example I brought up early to clarify that sounding nice doesn't always mean nice. The article itself doesn't sound like mockery, but it sounds sneaky. And just saying 'well, except for this part and that part...' doesn't work. Headline and Mao reference are part of the article.

Actually, headlines are usually written by someone other than the article writer themselves (that's why you will frequently see different headlines for the same article when it's distributed across the web). As for the Mao reference, I didn't like it, but note that the article writer wasn't himself dissing Mao and her 3A, but describing the attitude of other Korean media towards Mao's 3A attempts. I don't like that that is happening, but the article writer isn't endorsing those attitudes, just saying it's why Julia is being considered a stronger contender than Mao. Context matters. The article does NOT say that Julia's beauty could cure cancer, which WOULD be mockery. Exactly what in the article in regards to Julia comes close to such a mocking statement? There is nothing in that article that hasn't been expressed by some members of this forum. Meh.

I'm still not getting the "sneaky" part of the article that you allege is there. I don't see any evidence to support your belief that this article's intention is to "hype them up to burn them down again!" (your words). It's just an article that argues why Julia is a strong contender.

And if all this is about the use of "Maobots," let me say that I dislike references to "bots" at any time to any fanbase. But I still think the reaction here is overkill.

minze

Medalist
Actually, headlines are usually written by someone other than the article writer themselves (that's why you will frequently see different headlines for the same article when it's distributed across the web). As for the Mao reference, I didn't like it, but note that the article writer wasn't himself dissing Mao and her 3A, but describing the attitude of other Korean media towards Mao's 3A attempts. I don't like that that is happening, but the article writer isn't endorsing those attitudes, just saying it's why Julia is being considered a stronger contender than Mao. Context matters. The article does NOT say that Julia's beauty could cure cancer, which WOULD be mockery. Exactly what in the article in regards to Julia comes close to such a mocking statement? There is nothing in that article that hasn't been expressed by some members of this forum. Meh.

I'm still not getting the "sneaky" part of the article that you allege is there. I don't see any evidence to support your belief that this article's intention is to "hype them up to burn them down again!" (your words). It's just an article that argues why Julia is a strong contender.

And if all this is about the use of "Maobots," let me say that I dislike references to "bots" at any time to any fanbase. But I still think the reaction here is overkill.

I dont see the over kill people are just stating they dont like the article. Even some Julia fans find the article ridiculous. No one so far in this thread has say anything incidiary or over the top so far. Where is the over kill? the comment about Mao was of bad taste and if the Korean Media says those things about Mao then, I question their professionalism.

sleepymom

Rinkside
Hm.. korea times... I tried to remember what this newspaper is, and realized that this is korean-american community newspaper, made by small company in USA. (they probably has some association with Korean newspaper, but i don't think that includes reporter sharing :) ) I think they make newspaper by printing shared news from Korean media, or some are written by their reporters like this one. Overall I don't think you can expect sort of quality journalism from this newspaper.