Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters!

MiRé

Match Penalty
I dont see the over kill people are just stating they dont like the article. Even some Julia fans find the article ridiculous. No one so far in this thread has say anything incidiary or over the top so far. Where is the over kill? the comment about Mao was of bad taste and if the Korean Media says those things about Mao then, I question their professionalism.

Jesus it's one article, did you have to go all the way to question all Korean Media's professionalism? Let me tell you what's unprofessional. Japanese Media secretly filming Yuna's private practice in 2011. Talk about professionalism :rolleye:

TheCzar

On the Ice
You can see her landing them in the 6-minute warm ups in actual competitions. Yes, it has been inconsistent in the actual performance, but whoever says she can't land (ever) a decent 3A is most certainly blind, or in denial.

minze

Medalist
Jesus it's one article, did you have to go all the way to question all Korean Media's professionalism? Let me tell you what's unprofessional. Japanese Media secretly filming Yuna's private practice in 2011. Talk about professionalism :rolleye:

I wasnt the one defending the article. I asked IF the Korean medias says these things about Mao because the article implies they mock her. So, since, I dont watch Korean TV I was asking if they say these things. If they do then, it is unprofessional. but Read the IF

penguin

On the Ice
I wasnt the one defending the article. I asked IF the Korean medias says these things about Mao because the article implies they mock her. So, since, I dont watch Korean TV I was asking if they say these things. If they do then, it is unprofessional. but Read the IF

I find this article really strange, even though I have no issue with their characterization of Julia. I have watched Korean TV and read their articles and I would say Mao is definitely not mocked or disregarded as a rival, so the article writer's whole basis on that seems off. If anything I think the Korean media overdoes the whole Mao-as-archrival angle, because they make it seem like Mao is the only other skater in a two-skater event, and in reality she's not the only contender out there. But maybe that's this article's point (badly stated though it is), that the press really shouldn't fixate on Mao as Yuna's sole competition, and see that there are others worth mentioning.

minze

Medalist
I find this article really strange, even though I have no issue with their characterization of Julia. I have watched Korean TV and read their articles and I would say Mao is definitely not mocked or disregarded as a rival, so the article writer's whole basis on that seems off. If anything I think the Korean media overdoes the whole Mao-as-archrival angle, because they make it seem like Mao is the only other skater in a two-skater event, and in reality she's not the only contender out there. But maybe that's this article's point (badly stated though it is), that the press really shouldn't fixate on Mao as Yuna's sole competition, and see that there are others worth mentioning.

Agree. And I find hard to believe that the Korean Media in general mocks Mao like this article is suggesting. This article was not worth a clik at all

MiRé

Match Penalty

The article doen't mock Mao. It states the truth that Mao has an obsession with her 3A which IS true. Koreans do not see Mao as a threat to Yuna anymore because they think Mao's not on the equal level. Of course, that's debatable, but to Koreans, definitely not. And it's a bit ridiculous how you question the entire Korean journalist with just one article. You may want to take some chill pills when something pops up on GS regarding Yuna.

Agree. And I find hard to believe that the Korean Media in general mocks Mao like this article is suggesting.

You don't have to because to tell you the truth, most of Korean articles regarding Mao actually praise Mao and says she's a strong competitor. It's the netizens or general audience in Korea that suggests Mao is not. So don't worry about IFs or what not.

minze

Medalist
The article doen't mock Mao. It states the truth that Mao has an obsession with her 3A which IS true. Koreans do not see Mao as a threat to Yuna anymore because they think Mao's not on the equal level. Of course, that's debatable, but to Koreans, definitely not. And it's a bit ridiculous how you question the entire Korean journalist with just one article. You may want to take some chill pills when something pops up on GS regarding Yuna.

You don't have to because to tell you the truth, most of Korean articles regarding Mao actually praise Mao and says she's a strong competitor. It's the netizens or general audience in Korea that suggests Mao is not. So don't worry about IFs or what not.

Why should I take a chill pills. I have no problem with anything said in this forum prasing Yuna Kim look me up and find a post where I say other wise. One thing I do is defend Mao because I am her fan. It is my opinion that these article is unprofessional, but I never said the article mocks Mao. The article mentioned that the Korean Media mocks Mao. all I was saying that if the Korean media mocks Mao then it is unprofessional. However, I also said I don't watch Korean media so, I am asking a question.

I am not debating or talking about how Koreans feel about Mao, it is their prerogative and it has nothing to do with me. So follow your own advice about taking chill pills

Ambivalent

On the Ice
All I will say is that if the Korean press and her fans are taking Mao lightly they may be in for a rude shock. Mao is on an upward trajectory and YuNa must skate well to win. I do not like the arrogant tone of some of these posts.

sleepymom

Rinkside
All I will say is that if the Korean press and her fans are taking Mao lightly they may be in for a rude shock. Mao is on an upward trajectory and YuNa must skate well to win. I do not like the arrogant tone of some of these posts.

I agree with this. At this point, Mao is the only one who's in Grand Prix Final out of big 3.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Dear me...so much wasted emotion and energy scrutinizing over a silly article, seriously!

To put it in perspective. In Britain we have the wonderful BBC (though sometimes not so wonderful nor fair especially with the reports on China), but we also probably have the worst tabloid journalism in the world with all that craziness. They may all vary on ethics, toughness and fairness, but they certainly don't lack in perspective. But I would never consider any of them to represent the British Press.

This article obviously has its own perspective in mind, just read it (or don't read it), frown upon it, then bin it! Otherwise you'd likely to have a very long and tiresome few months still ahead till the Olympics, likely from both sides of the perspectives. It is after all, the nature of the freedom of the press. Without sensationalism, the news paper don't sell, people don't talk, the article won't get linked. Just ask Phil :p

As for the title: It could be Mao, Look out for Russian skaters! Or Ashley, Look out for Russian skaters! Or Carolina, Look out for Russian skaters! They all work equally well. IMO, Russian skaters likely to deserve a platinum title this year for their young ladies team. Total over achievers! ;)

MiRé

Match Penalty
Why should I take a chill pills. I have no problem with anything said in this forum prasing Yuna Kim look me up and find a post where I say other wise. One thing I do is defend Mao because I am her fan. It is my opinion that these article is unprofessional, but I never said the article mocks Mao. The article mentioned that the Korean Media mocks Mao. all I was saying that if the Korean media mocks Mao then it is unprofessional. However, I also said I don't watch Korean media so, I am asking a question.

I am not debating or talking about how Koreans feel about Mao, it is their prerogative and it has nothing to do with me. So follow your own advice about taking chill pills

You obviously don't understand how media works. They tweak words, phrases, thoughts, and opinions so that they have at least something to write. Maybe I overestimated you a bit on this part(I thought you were smart enough to know). What I'm saying is, there is no need to question any journalists like this unless they do something ridiculous, and like i mentioned before, something like Japanese Media filming Yuna's practice. You even have your opinion, saying these article is unprofessional. What makes you think journalists are different? Stop being bothered by articles like this and move on.

minze

Medalist
You obviously don't understand how media works. They tweak words, phrases, thoughts, and opinions so that they have at least something to write. Maybe I overestimated you a bit on this part(I thought you were smart enough to know). What I'm saying is, there is no need to question any journalists like this unless they do something ridiculous, and like i mentioned before, something like Japanese Media filming Yuna's practice. You even have your opinion, sa?ying these article is unprofessional. What makes you think journalists are different? Stop being bothered by articles like this and move on.

First, was it necessary to get so personal and call me names? Second, please don't insult my intelligence, this a forum and you don't know me and Last, please don't tell me what to do, if I read an article and I think is unprofessional I am entitle to call it that. I did not disrespect anyone. this a public forum and if I have an opinion I will say it.

Muscle Memory

Rinkside

I hope you wouldn't represent the opinions of Koreans. I'm a Korean and have a view that is different from yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

RABID

Final Flight
Dear me...so much wasted emotion and energy scrutinizing over a silly article, seriously!

To put it in perspective. In Britain we have the wonderful BBC (though sometimes not so wonderful nor fair especially with the reports on China), but we also probably have the worst tabloid journalism in the world with all that craziness. They may all vary on ethics, toughness and fairness, but they certainly don't lack in perspective. But I would never consider any of them to represent the British Press.

This article obviously has its own perspective in mind, just read it (or don't read it), frown upon it, then bin it! Otherwise you'd likely to have a very long and tiresome few months still ahead till the Olympics, likely from both sides of the perspectives. It is after all, the nature of the freedom of the press. Without sensationalism, the news paper don't sell, people don't talk, the article won't get linked. Just ask Phil :p

As for the title: It could be Mao, Look out for Russian skaters! Or Ashley, Look out for Russian skaters! Or Carolina, Look out for Russian skaters! They all work equally well. IMO, Russian skaters likely to deserve a platinum title this year for their young ladies team. Total over achievers! ;)

When reduced to its essence the column is merely taking note of the Russian girls making a large splash this season and since it is an Olympic season and timing and injuries often determine who reaches the podium, why not the column? It is at least one more reminder that Sochi is approaching and I for one am expecting and hoping for more buzz inducing tidbits like this leading up to the finale in Sochi. Give me more!

Franklin99

Medalist

I hope you wouldn't represent the opinions of Koreans. I'm a Korean and have a view that is different from yours.

I agree with you Miyabi. Since when does Melon speak for all Koreans. I know several Korean Mao fans who feels quite the opposite. Maybe Yuna fans feel that way, as they are entitled to, but not all Koreans.

EricRohmer

On the Ice

IA. And Korean media & people do not take Asada lightly. For example, Asada was showed on yesterday's TV news related to Yuna. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIIopNDvy8 (Asada @ 1:04, 2:38)

ordinary person

On the Ice
Ummm, look out for Russian skaters, seriously?
What a joke, none of these Russian skaters can beat Yuna and i'm not even a fan :laugh:

Jewels

On the Ice
Mao is not judged lightly by all Koreans- there were a lot of articles everytime Mao won a GP event, blog posts analyzing them, and people's comments buzzing about her scores. Sure, the public interest in Mao has decreased recently(well it's true that it's been some time she overpowered Yuna in a competition) but the real figure fans are following Mao's moves too, and they've noticed how her scores were higher than all the other skaters this season (whether it was overscored or not), or that her PCS scores were much higher than last season due to her improvements in artistry and choreography. Yeah, people still have doubts in Mao's jumps, but whether they like her skills or not, her high scores are worth to watch out for.
I've seen some articles like this talking about Russian skaters, but trust me, I've never seen people taking them more seriously than Mao. Also, though I'm a Yuna fan, this article was a bit rude to Mao and her fans, while Mao's triple axels can be seen obsessed to some Korean fans, Mao must have her own reasons putting them in her programs, and it's not our job to say that's good or not. This writer could have just mildly pointed out some Mao's weakness or something, but using 'obsessed' sounded a bit like making a joke.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that not all Yuna fans take Mao lightly, or even as a joke. And not all Koreans are Mao bashers, believe it or not, I've even seen Mao fan forum on Korean website. About this article, there always were some stupid articles being aggressive or controversial to draw more interests, and this, is not just Korean media's problem either. (I've seen some offending ones from Japan too, but not all Japanese people are along with it right?) Plus, I haven't seen any articles saying bad things about Mao in the main sports news, where the most people read news from.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Of course Yu-Na will look out for Russian skaters while she mows them down. Do you think she wants to get scratches on her boots? Her blades will sever their heads cleanly, no need to worry.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Yu-na is in the league of her own. Of course our little girls are not her competition, but Ashley and Caro is the other case - they sure as hell should be aware of them..