Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    I agree with this. While Julia is a very gifted skater, she still looks like a girl at the tween end of teen and doesn't yet have the athleticism of her elder competitors.
    I disagree Julia doesn't have athleticism. Fully rotated triples means there's athleticism! She's not muscular. Mao isn't muscular looking. She's an extraordinary athlete with extraordinary athleticism! So is Julia.

Basically i agree this article is atrocious and is all about inviting horrible attacks and sometimes vicious personal attacks on Russian skaters that has been seen here! So whatever!

During the Cup of Russia last week, Eurosport commentators were in complete awe of the15-year-old, predicting that she could “win the Olympics and be the youngest-ever winner.”
    I hope the Eurosport guys didn't really say this. Julia's birthday is June 5 and Tara's is June 10.

did you guys, including TC, actually read the article??

The writer gives praises in good faith and gushes over Julia and young Russian skaters.

New generation of prodigies emerges with sensational jumps, polished artistry

thanks to a group of teenage skaters equipped with the utmost technical ability and polished artistry.

At her best, Lipnitskaia is what great ladies’ figure skating is all about. The 2012 Russian junior champion is an arresting beauty who moves like an ice dancer rather than a singles competitor. In her first year as a senior skater, she already seems to have it all — speed, elegance, musicality, uncanny flexibility, and most importantly, the jumps. The intricacy of her footwork, the consistency of her triples and a mature expressiveness are way beyond her years.
    And regarding the Mao reference, it is clearly talking about how she is treated by some "Korean Media."

This is just an article that sets up Yuna for new upcoming challenge (and no doubt about it, it will be a challenge) - there is no malice intended for anyone.

I am so sick of these Maobots making issue out of nothing. Mao who? Yuna-Mao rivalry ended 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    did you guys, including TC, actually read the article??

The writer gives praises in good faith and gushes over Julia and young Russian skaters.

And regarding the Mao reference, it is clearly talking about how she is treated by some "Korean Media."

This is just an article that sets up Yuna for new upcoming challenge (and no doubt about it, it will be a challenge) - there is no malice intended for anyone.

I am so sick of these Maobots making issue out of nothing. Mao who? Yuna-Mao rivalry ended 4 years ago.
    No one here mentioned Mao and Yuna's rivalry you were the first one. what does that have to do with the article? So who is the one making a big deal about nothing?
    Mao Who? Google Her

Fifth woman in history to land the triple axel jump in international competition.
    Second woman to break the 200-point barrier in international competition.
    Third Japanese female figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
    Fourth Japanese figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
    First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
    First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
    First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
    First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
    First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
    First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
    First figure skater in a singles discipline from Asia to win multiple world championships.
    First figure skater in a singles discipline, male or female, to win all 7 of the current events on the Grand Prix circuit

Sorry, I actually respect Mao a lot. No doubt she is one of the greatest. What upsets me is that the article is about Russian skaters, but the topic creator quoted one sentence that mentions Mao to stir controversy.

They do this every year to stir controversy. Last season they hyped up Osmond and talked like she was a threat to Kim at Worlds. And now it's Olympic season so I expect even more of this over the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    This "article" is such a joke. Judging by the number of backhanded compliments to her competitors, it's obviously another ploy by Korean-based media to get even more people aboard the "Yuna Kim is so great/Korea never lose" train. They're intentionally hyping the Russian babies up so that when Yuna beats them, people (who don't watch skating on a regular or even a semi-regular basis) will be like, "Oh, such talented skaters weren't even a challenge for the Great Yuna Kim" or some crap like that.

Personally, while I love Yuna, I don't see why one has to put down other skaters just to make her look good. She's good enough that she doesn't even need these kind of free BS/PR articles.

Eh. Nationalism, I guess.
    You seem to misinterpret Korean media.
    They are not that kind to Yuna and do not always stand up for Yuna.
    When they praise and hype up Yuna's competitors(especially new faces. Last year Osmond, Gold etc. were hyped), they do that either with pure intention or to make public feel vulnerable for Yuna's status.

Custom Title
    Oh all I can say is that, this sort of article serves only one purpose : get more clicks -> earn more money! (via advertisements)

Don't click on them, don't read them unless you want to earn them more money!

(FYI, the hottest thing in Korea nowadays is Yuna Kim and journalist just wants to drag her into their articles in controversial way so that they can increase the number of (angry) people reading them. Dragging Mao into the article serves the same purpose. Just don't read it!)

Custom Title
    ^^ So true. They do that for clicks. It's been a long time since I stopped taking seriously ANY of the Korean articles about Yuna Kim. I can get all the info I need just from what she actually says and does.

people are still reading korean times?? lol..

they produced garbage after garbage.. and to aftertherain.. for your information before you start making conclusion about this article screams yuna is the greatest etc.. please do so some research first.. this is the same site that criticize yuna when she had a beer commercial.. this is the same site who put every garbage from korean media including other negative articles about yuna.. talk about generalization.. :rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    people are still reading korean times?? lol..

they produced garbage after garbage.. and to aftertherain.. for your information before you start making conclusion about this article screams yuna is the greatest etc.. please do so some research first.. this is the same site that criticize yuna when she had a beer commercial.. this is the same site who put every garbage from korean media including other negative articles about yuna.. talk about generalization.. :rolleyes
    Why can't I make a conclusion about this particular article? We are talking about this article--singular.

And my conclusion, again, is that it is craptastic.

I don't particularly care what else this news outlet has published and I don't think the "research" you say I should do will change my opinion about how this article is craptastic. Also, as far as I'm concerned, almost all major Korean (and non-Korean) news outlets have both praised and criticized Yuna's actions at one point because she is a celebrity and that is what journalists (should I be putting this word in quotations?) do nowadays and that is how they get advertising $$$. (Among other things.)

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss
    Erm... the problem is that this doesn't come off as nice, honest or well-intended in the least - it just screams "hype them up to burn them down again!".

Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss
    I am so sick of these Maobots making issue out of nothing. Mao who?
    What Maobots here?

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    They do this every year to stir controversy. Last season they hyped up Osmond and talked like she was a threat to Kim at Worlds. And now it's Olympic season so I expect even more of this over the coming weeks.
    With all due respect to you and your opinions which I value very much, Krislite; Osmond is not Julia. It isn't that hard to conceive Julia making the podium. The trumping of Osmond on the other hand was a whole lot of wishful thinking and fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Erm... the problem is that this doesn't come off as nice, honest or well-intended in the least - it just screams "hype them up to burn them down again!".
    You see, that's where I have issue. I personally don't think Julia is all that except for her flexibility and spins, but to me, the writer's praise of Julia comes across as sincere and genuine.

How nicer can you be than saying that "At her best, Lipnitskaia is what great ladies’ figure skating is all about"? Please do enlighten me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    You see, that's where I have issue. I personally don't think Julia is all that except for her flexibility and spins, but to me, the writer's praise of Julia comes across as sincere and genuine.

How nicer can you be than saying that "At her best, Lipnitskaia is what great ladies’ figure skating is all about"? Please do enlighten me.
    I agree. It's just an opinion--and not an unsupportable one. There is nothing wrong with this article that I can see. Praising Julia doesn't mean someone is criticizing Yu Na. It's not a zero sum game.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast