Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yu-na, look out for Russian skaters!

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss
    How nicer can you be than saying that "At her best, Lipnitskaia is what great ladies’ figure skating is all about"? Please do enlighten me.
    It would be nice too to say she's the greatest thing that ever happened to the world and her indescribable beauty could probably cure cancer. Yet, it's so overblown (on anyone, not just Julia), that it comes off as mockery. And if you'd look through this thread, a lot of people are getting this feeling too. (oh, I forgot, that's of course just because they're all just Maobots, although nobody wrote anything to merit such an insult)

Wow. I am shocked, really. Saying "At her best, Lipnitskaia is what great ladies’ figure skating is all about" comes off as mockery to you? Is it because it is written by a Korean journalist? What if a Russian journalist said the same thing? How cynical has this world become!

Yeah, because this whole article is that one sentence you've just picked out... Julia is great and I actually started liking her this season, but she's not a match for Yuna, as this article tries to make it sound.
    And no, it's not because it was written by a korean journalist. I can't stand the japanese media either (specific highlights are the 3a fixation or how they were all over Takahashi vs Hanyu last year). If it was a russian article, I still wouldn't like it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    It would be nice too to say she's the greatest thing that ever happened to the world and her indescribable beauty could probably cure cancer. Yet, it's so overblown (on anyone, not just Julia), that it comes off as mockery. And if you'd look through this thread, a lot of people are getting this feeling too. (oh, I forgot, that's of course just because they're all just Maobots, although nobody wrote anything to merit such an insult)
    I think you and others are overreacting just a wee bit. The headline is ridiculous and the reference to Mao is unnecessary and insulting, but aside from that, its treatment of Julia and other Russian skaters looks sincere and properly supported by facts. The article cites other commentators and specifically describes Julia's strengths and technical abilities in a way that is fairly accurate. She does have flexibility, a triple lutz/triple toe, etc.

The headline is overblown, but the article isn't. The article certainly isn't a mockery of Julia, nor is it a "ploy" to hype up Yu-Na's competitors to make Yu-Na look better when she [supposedly] eventually beats them, as aftertherain put it. [The only OGM Yu-Na already has in the bag is the one she earned in 2010.] An article that seems to be complimentary of Julia is really an article that mocks Julia because it's hyping her up to make Yu-Na's eventual victory look even greater? Really? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and a Korean news article hyping up other skaters is just a Korean news article hyping up other skaters.

Custom Title
    Julia is wonderful , but her lp music implies artistry that might not quite be there yet. It is tailored made for her and a brilliant choice by her team. But she is still rough around the edges when compared to skaters like Yu-na and Mao. That being said, I don't think winning the gold at the Olympics is out of the question, but I think more likely a silver or bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee
    I think you and others are overreacting just a wee bit.
    What made me react so much in the first place was the 'Maobots' comment here, less so the article itself. That doesn't mean the article isn't stupid though, it is.
    Argh, and btw: I said mockery in response to that exaggerated example I brought up early to clarify that sounding nice doesn't always mean nice. The article itself doesn't sound like mockery, but it sounds sneaky. And just saying 'well, except for this part and that part...' doesn't work. Headline and Mao reference are part of the article.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    What made me react so much in the first place was the 'Maobots' comment here, less so the article itself. That doesn't mean the article isn't stupid though, it is.
    Argh, and btw: I said mockery in response to that exaggerated example I brought up early to clarify that sounding nice doesn't always mean nice. The article itself doesn't sound like mockery, but it sounds sneaky. And just saying 'well, except for this part and that part...' doesn't work. Headline and Mao reference are part of the article.
    Actually, headlines are usually written by someone other than the article writer themselves (that's why you will frequently see different headlines for the same article when it's distributed across the web). As for the Mao reference, I didn't like it, but note that the article writer wasn't himself dissing Mao and her 3A, but describing the attitude of other Korean media towards Mao's 3A attempts. I don't like that that is happening, but the article writer isn't endorsing those attitudes, just saying it's why Julia is being considered a stronger contender than Mao. Context matters. The article does NOT say that Julia's beauty could cure cancer, which WOULD be mockery. Exactly what in the article in regards to Julia comes close to such a mocking statement? There is nothing in that article that hasn't been expressed by some members of this forum. Meh.

I'm still not getting the "sneaky" part of the article that you allege is there. I don't see any evidence to support your belief that this article's intention is to "hype them up to burn them down again!" (your words). It's just an article that argues why Julia is a strong contender.

And if all this is about the use of "Maobots," let me say that I dislike references to "bots" at any time to any fanbase. But I still think the reaction here is overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Actually, headlines are usually written by someone other than the article writer themselves (that's why you will frequently see different headlines for the same article when it's distributed across the web). As for the Mao reference, I didn't like it, but note that the article writer wasn't himself dissing Mao and her 3A, but describing the attitude of other Korean media towards Mao's 3A attempts. I don't like that that is happening, but the article writer isn't endorsing those attitudes, just saying it's why Julia is being considered a stronger contender than Mao. Context matters. The article does NOT say that Julia's beauty could cure cancer, which WOULD be mockery. Exactly what in the article in regards to Julia comes close to such a mocking statement? There is nothing in that article that hasn't been expressed by some members of this forum. Meh.

I'm still not getting the "sneaky" part of the article that you allege is there. I don't see any evidence to support your belief that this article's intention is to "hype them up to burn them down again!" (your words). It's just an article that argues why Julia is a strong contender.

And if all this is about the use of "Maobots," let me say that I dislike references to "bots" at any time to any fanbase. But I still think the reaction here is overkill.
    I dont see the over kill people are just stating they dont like the article. Even some Julia fans find the article ridiculous. No one so far in this thread has say anything incidiary or over the top so far. Where is the over kill? the comment about Mao was of bad taste and if the Korean Media says those things about Mao then, I question their professionalism.

Tripping on the Podium
    Hm.. korea times... I tried to remember what this newspaper is, and realized that this is korean-american community newspaper, made by small company in USA. (they probably has some association with Korean newspaper, but i don't think that includes reporter sharing ) I think they make newspaper by printing shared news from Korean media, or some are written by their reporters like this one. Overall I don't think you can expect sort of quality journalism from this newspaper.

Custom Title
    korea times.. HATE MAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    I dont see the over kill people are just stating they dont like the article. Even some Julia fans find the article ridiculous. No one so far in this thread has say anything incidiary or over the top so far. Where is the over kill? the comment about Mao was of bad taste and if the Korean Media says those things about Mao then, I question their professionalism.
    Jesus it's one article, did you have to go all the way to question all Korean Media's professionalism? Let me tell you what's unprofessional. Japanese Media secretly filming Yuna's private practice in 2011. Talk about professionalism

Custom Title
    You can see her landing them in the 6-minute warm ups in actual competitions. Yes, it has been inconsistent in the actual performance, but whoever says she can't land (ever) a decent 3A is most certainly blind, or in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Jesus it's one article, did you have to go all the way to question all Korean Media's professionalism? Let me tell you what's unprofessional. Japanese Media secretly filming Yuna's private practice in 2011. Talk about professionalism
    I wasnt the one defending the article. I asked IF the Korean medias says these things about Mao because the article implies they mock her. So, since, I dont watch Korean TV I was asking if they say these things. If they do then, it is unprofessional. but Read the IF

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    I wasnt the one defending the article. I asked IF the Korean medias says these things about Mao because the article implies they mock her. So, since, I dont watch Korean TV I was asking if they say these things. If they do then, it is unprofessional. but Read the IF
    I find this article really strange, even though I have no issue with their characterization of Julia. I have watched Korean TV and read their articles and I would say Mao is definitely not mocked or disregarded as a rival, so the article writer's whole basis on that seems off. If anything I think the Korean media overdoes the whole Mao-as-archrival angle, because they make it seem like Mao is the only other skater in a two-skater event, and in reality she's not the only contender out there. But maybe that's this article's point (badly stated though it is), that the press really shouldn't fixate on Mao as Yuna's sole competition, and see that there are others worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    I find this article really strange, even though I have no issue with their characterization of Julia. I have watched Korean TV and read their articles and I would say Mao is definitely not mocked or disregarded as a rival, so the article writer's whole basis on that seems off. If anything I think the Korean media overdoes the whole Mao-as-archrival angle, because they make it seem like Mao is the only other skater in a two-skater event, and in reality she's not the only contender out there. But maybe that's this article's point (badly stated though it is), that the press really shouldn't fixate on Mao as Yuna's sole competition, and see that there are others worth mentioning.
    Agree. And I find hard to believe that the Korean Media in general mocks Mao like this article is suggesting. This article was not worth a clik at all

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast