Pang and Tong article (4Cs Champs Look to Worlds) | Golden Skate

Pang and Tong article (4Cs Champs Look to Worlds)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
China's Qing Pang and Jian Tong won the 2004 Four Continents Championships in Canada in January. They also won their second Chinese Nationals this season.

More

I was very impressed with this pair in Four Continents. Like Shen and Zhao before them, they have always had the huge thrown jumps and astonishing lifts, but now their artistic skills, especially with respect to musical interpretation, are coming out more and more.

Mathman

Antilles

Medalist
I agree the Chinese team as a whole is more well rounded. They have better musical interpretation, interaction with each other, and they have less problems with spins than they used to.

mzheng

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
Did they beat Shen & Zhao at Chinese Nationals?

No. S&Z sat out at Chinese Nationals, which was held in their hometown. But they performed at the gala and after that both of them gave a very touching speech about their coach BinYao.

BinYao said in one of his interview that in order to get to 2006 Olympic, they need to trim down their trainning/competetion schedule, pacing themselves through. since they are not that young anymore. Now chinese Federation treats them as their National treasure. When they were back to their home town as an audience at chinese national, the head of Federation phoned Shen's parents, tell them to take good care of the pair, have them eat well and rest well.

No matter you are a traditinal skating fan or a contempary one, you have to admit more or less Chinese Pairs as a whole progressed the technique definition in pair skating. For example, the huge throw from all chinese pair teams (with the high kick leg from the male), which used to get so much critisises from the fans a year a go and still got them, seems got confirmed by judges you can see clearly from the CoP. And the laterial (sorry for the spelling) twist, now some of other pairs try to do the same, but they say it was more difficult to be caught by the male partner.

I've read from a chiese FS board that actually ISU had film a few elements from Pang and Tong as the text book something to this extend.

Last edited by a moderator:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Thanks mzheng! I did not know that. That's a smart move IMO ... let them pace themselves.
I will tell you ... I adore S&Z ... at Worlds in DC last year, they just touched me as noone (except Michelle) had ever before. They are my favorite pairs team and I would love to see them win the Oly gold medal. In fact, I love all the Chinese teams. They truly have brought pairs skating to a new level, and I love it!!!

Thanks again for the info. :)