Mao & Mr. Sato | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao & Mr. Sato

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Not long ago every commentator was raging about how textbook Gao's jumps were, and as far as I know inconsistencies is not a very uncommon thing even for the skaters whom many posters scream textbook jumps about.

I think back in her Orser days, she did have good technique... a lot of times she reminded me of Kim.

mary01

Final Flight
What you're saying is ludicrous. Good technique is called "good" because it is good, not bad. And it does bring about plenty of desirable things for skaters. Carolina Kostner's inconsistency IS NOT caused by the fact that she has textbook technique. It is probably caused by some psychological problems or it can be actually anything but most definitely not her technique. There is loads of skaters who doesn't underrotate their jump and have good flow because they have good technique but it still doesn't mean that they cannot err. They can and they do, but if so, it is undoubtedly NOT spawned by their perfect technique.

On the other hand, skaters who have bad technique always, sooner or later, have problems with their jumps. Wide range of different problems, namely flutzing, lipping, underrotation, lack of control, poor flow, inconsistency etc. You can take any skater with bad technique and you are bound to find some or all of those problems. Off the top of my head Mao, Yukari, Sarah Hughes, Kimmie Meissner, Kanako, Caroline Zhang etc. The list could be much longer if given more thought.

You clearly cannot accept anything negative or critical said about Mao and try to repudiate that at all cost, to the point where you get confused with your own arguments. Firstly you put Miki in the same league with Mao, claiming that despite her having imperfect technique, her jumps has always looked effortless and beautiful, just like in the case of Mao - bad technique and yet good jumps. Now you use the same Miki Ando and admit that you've never enjoyed her jumps because they "felt forced". So, do they feel forced or are they beautiful and effortless? Stop using the same skaters to exemplify patently contradictory ideas.

Apart from that, do you really consider Mao's terrible triple flip with mule kick and her body parallel to the ice at the take-off as beautiful? Let me tell you something, Mao's triple flip looks much better now and is certainly easier to control now. I am sure that most people would rather prefer Mao's current flip than her previous one with that atrocious technique, if I were to make a poll for example.

you are twisting my words, read my previous post, the ones whose jump I called beautiful and effortless was Mao not Miki.

you also name these mistakes "namely flutzing, lipping, underrotation, lack of control, poor flow, inconsistency etc." as problems that supposedly occur on skaters who have bad technique, well if this is the case then there is no one in the world who has a good technique. because I can't think of one skater who doesn't occasionally suffer from these mistakes if not even bigger mistakes!

as for Mao's previous flip, a side from the mule kick, she had good height, fast rotation, good air position with barely any preparation, and didn't require any real effort from her, so why shouldn't it be considered beautiful?

Bartek

On the Ice
you are twisting my words, read my previous post, the ones whose jump I called beautiful and effortless was Mao not Miki.

you also name these mistakes "namely flutzing, lipping, underrotation, lack of control, poor flow, inconsistency etc." as problems that supposedly occur on skaters who have bad technique, well if this is the case then there is no one in the world who has a good technique. because I can't think of one skater who doesn't occasionally suffer from these mistakes if not even bigger mistakes!

as for Mao's previous flip, a side from the mule kick, she had good height, fast rotation, good air position with barely any preparation, and didn't require any real effort from her, so why shouldn't it be considered beautiful?

"But examples like Mao and Miki show that despite not always having had what is considered the most efficient technique, they were still exceptionally good jumpers, and Mao's jumps in particular also looked beautiful and effortless." --> This is precisely what you said. I have not twisted your words, you praised Miki's jumps and said that Mao ALSO looked beautiful and effortless.

Mao's old triple flip should not be considered "beautiful" simply beacuse it was ugly due to her terrible mule kick technique, swinging the right arm and bending her body down so that it was parallel to the ice. That's certainly ugly when compared to triple flips with perfect technique (e.g. Yu-Na Kim, Irina Slutskaya, Carolina Kostner). And she did need a whole ice rink to set it up as noticed by Kurt Browning in Mao's FS from 2009 4CC.

The aforementioned problems occur to every skater, even those with perfect technique like Patrick Chan or Yu-Na Kim because they are all people which means that they all sometimes make mistakes. It's normal, to err is human, right? Nonetheless, people who have bad technique like Kanako or Caroline Zhang are way more prone to making those mistakes than the ones who have perfect technique. Just look at the protocls and you will hopefully notice that those skaters have much bigger problems with underrotation and concistency in general. Kanako's terrible technique spawn underrotation virtually in every program she skates. On the other hand, Patrick and Yu-Na hardly ever underrotate a jump.

minze

Medalist
I wish one day i can open a thread without so much Mao negativity. What difference does her technique from the past made . By reading this board only people might think Mao is the most imperfect skater. And when her fans say something to defend her they are called crazy. Oh well.

minze

Medalist
All threads also lead to comparing Mao to someone. Mao has pretty hair. Posters her hair is not pretty compared to so and so... Anoying

Bartek

On the Ice
I wish one day i can open a thread without so much Mao negativity. What difference does her technique from the past made . By reading this board only people might think Mao is the most imperfect skater. And when her fans say something to defend her they are called crazy. Oh well.

Have you actually bothered to read my posts? Mao's technique from the past DOES make a difference for the discussion with mary who claimed that good technique on your jumps is irrelevant and doesn't matter that much for the skaters' results. This assertion is terribly wrong and hence me trying to correct her using the examples of Mao, Kanako, Caroline etc. Since she is a devoted Mao fan, and unfortunately a blind one too, she/he cannot accept anything critical about her and tries to repudiate that at all cost. Me using Mao's example as smeone who had bad technique is nothing offensive towards Mao as she indeed had terrible technique. After all, she was the one who decided to change it and took on a heavy burden of re-learning how to do triples! People, if her bad technique wasn't problematic at all which mary tries to prevail upon people to believe, why would Mao herself make this decision, to turn over a new leaf and spend two seasons having poor results and being harshly criticised by skating fans. What matter is that the decision was right because bad technique is, as the name suggests, bad. Mao actually saved her career with this decision and her move to Sato. The whole process was costly and very time-consuming but it has finally paid of.

Apart from that, I am actually a huge Mao fan. She's my favourite female skater now and the third one of all time :). That, however, doesn't mean that I should be delusional and fail to notice certain things like bad technique.

Furthermore, my favourite skater is Sasha Cohen. I adore this woman and could watch her spiraling and spinning and doing other things for days. There is plenty of qualities that I love about Sasha. However, that doesn't make me rejecting bad aspects of her skating, like for example bad technique she had on her lutz and flip.

mary01

Final Flight
Have you actually bothered to read my posts? Mao's technique from the past DOES make a difference for the discussion with mary who claimed that good technique on your jumps is irrelevant and doesn't matter that much for the skaters' results. This assertion is terribly wrong and hence me trying to correct her using the examples of Mao, Kanako, Caroline etc. Since she is a devoted Mao fan, and unfortunately a blind one too, she/he cannot accept anything critical about her and tries to repudiate that at all cost. Me using Mao's example as smeone who had bad technique is nothing offensive towards Mao as she indeed had terrible technique. After all, she was the one who decided to change it and took on a heavy burden of re-learning how to do triples! People, if her bad technique wasn't problematic at all which mary tries to prevail upon people to believe, why would Mao herself make this decision, to turn over a new leaf and spend two seasons having poor results and being harshly criticised by skating fans. What matter is that the decision was right because bad technique is, as the name suggests, bad. Mao actually saved her career with this decision and her move to Sato. The whole process was costly and very time-consuming but it has finally paid of.

Apart from that, I am actually a huge Mao fan. She's my favourite female skater now and the third one of all time :). That, however, doesn't mean that I should be delusional and fail to notice certain things like bad technique.

Furthermore, my favourite skater is Sasha Cohen. I adore this woman and could watch her spiraling and spinning and doing other things for days. There is plenty of qualities that I love about Sasha. However, that doesn't make me rejecting bad aspects of her skating, like for example bad technique she had on her lutz and flip.

you know what, you can take my words out of context as much as you want, and you can twist it the way you want, I don't care since what I actually wrote is still present in it's original form in this thread. but the moment you begin to insult me, just because I don't agree with your nonsense, the discussion for me is over. sigh that's few precious minutes of my life, I will never get back!