Girls SP - 2013-14 JGP Final | Golden Skate

Girls SP - 2013-14 JGP Final

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from the JGPF SD thread:

A comment from yesterday on the Facebook page of ISU Figure Skating:
The Junior Grand Prix will be available on our YouTube Channel, but there are no videos from practice. https://www.youtube.com/user/SkatingISU

Seems pretty clear that they are referring to the JGP Final, although they did not say so explicitly. :)

ETA: Aaaargh! The ISU FB page was wrong. The JGPF vids are being uploaded on the regular JGP channel.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
disaster for Angela Wang--fall on the triple lutz (no combo) and popped the loop. Very low tech score, and she looked a little slow.

zamboni step

Final Flight
I wonder if Sakhanovich will go for the tano 3T in her 3-3. I think it's amazing, but this system doesn't really reward it's incredible difficulty. I think it should earn more than half a +1.

Angela :bang: why?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Sakhanovich has a very lean-forward landing technique. She's coltish and gawky but has some really nice qualities. Looks like a good spinner, too. Wow, pretty high score 60.56.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Sotskova has very nice posture and looks like she's spent a lot of time in the ballet studio, but I don't think this music works for her current style/interpretive abilities. I found the program boring, but like Sakhanovich, she's landing the jumps. 61.29 into the lead which I'd agree with.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Why is it that those russian girls aren't able to smile even a little bit after such performances? Reminds me of gymnastics, almost like "yeah, whatever, that's nothing special for me!" is the cool thing to do.

zamboni step

Final Flight
I like this program, although I wish they hadn't scaled down the intricacy of the footwork into the 3L, I thought it was nice and worked with the music. The levels on those spins must have suffered a little. Lovely skating skills, she just needs to keep her back straight on jump landings. Sakhanovich that is.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Proklova is cute as can be, and has best projection and performance quality, rapport with audience, etc. Maybe Radionova Phase 2. Warhorse music but the cuts and choreography work well for her, thought it was very engaging. Some issues with jumps, turn out in the middle of the combination and a wonky loop. 51.27, hmm, lower than I thought. Maybe some UR's in there.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Maria Sotskova changed her program....why? This one is totally boring and the old one was interesting even if she didn't quite project it. Her change in jump layout will help her and her spins were excellent other than the travel on the first combination spin.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Edmunds can't get the combo in and sits down on the loop. Her jump timing looks a little rushed. Oy. Great program with a lot of energy though. What's going on with the USA girls and their jumps here? Wang and Edmunds are much better than this. 48.20.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Proklova really does use a lot of balletic moves in her program which is lovely! Her SS are probably the best in this competition and the life never left the program. There may have been a slightly off position here and there, but it's clear she takes note in ballet.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I just can't get into Medvedeva's program music or her costume--it's just a trite, heavy ponderous production. She skates well though, nice 3F-3T. 58.75, which surprises me, thought she'd be right up with Sotskova.

Boy, Karen Chen is really missed at this competition.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Poilina's body type (tall and long limbs) looks great on the ice! Too bad her jumps were a mess today. Her and Proklova are probably the best all around package in this field and although neither are my favourites, I hope they perform better tomorrow and really make getting on the podium difficult. I'm not sure how possible that is though.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Evgenia Medvedeva clearly desperately wanted to skate clean, she was stony faced and rushing from the beginning. Her SS aren't atrocious but this field has excellent skating skills so she came across as quite poor in that area. She landed all her jumps with a 3-3 and 3L in the second half but her TES is quite low, I think it's probably because she had a wonky change of foot on the combination spin.