Men SP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men SP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
to my defense: I knew this was the case for triples, but I thought it didn't apply to doubles.
oh, well. I guess that's just a worst case scenario with the toe ending up as a double and the 3-3 combo ending up a 3-2.
still: go, salchow! ;)

Be my guest. I had to look it up too. But the rules are relentless. :rolleye:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
emdee said:
So agree with you....
Hanyu is my second best man.....
Thanks for your support and courtesy.

Nothing to thank me for! But thanks for dealing with a rapid fan and not having it affect your opinion of the skater, that's sometimes really hard to do :)

pitterpatter

On the Ice
No one can always be perfect. He was completly clean in TEB, and this wasn't that bad a skate actually, just bad in comparison to what he did in Paris. Olys are still 2 months away.
And I don't think the F-bomb was that bad either. It happens, I still think it's human :)

The skate itself was definitely not that bad :), but he looked kind of tense and high strung in and after the performance. Obviously this doesn't mean he won't deliver at the Olys or even tomorrow.

I'm not saying its unforgivable and that he should be burned at the stake, but there's no point excusing it as an acceptable behaviour when its not. He's an athlete representing his country at an international event, there's a certain standard of conduct that should be followed. It wouldn't be okay for me to drop the F-bomb at work, so why would it be okay for him?

Axel99

Spectator
Hanyu got higher PCS than Chan?
I completely lost confidence in ISU score system.
His score is way too high.:mad:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
pitterpatter said:
I'm not saying its unforgivable and that he should be burned at the stake, but there's no point excusing it as an acceptable behaviour when its not. He's an athlete representing his country at an international event, there's a certain standard of conduct that should be followed. It wouldn't be okay for me to drop the F-bomb at work, so why would it be okay for him?

Yes, I get that. I just like it if people are open with their emotions, that's why I kinda like him being openly angry. And maybe it comes from the fact too that I'm a student and the F-bomb isn't exactly rare here :biggrin:

Icey

Record Breaker
There should be a deduction for inappropriate behavior occurring while the skater is in public view.

NMURA

Medalist
Hanyu's score

base 95.8
home bonus +1
federation's favorite bonus +2
standing ovation bonus +1

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
NMURA said:
Hanyu's score

base 95.8
home bonus +1
federation's favorite bonus +1
standing ovation bonus +1

That's just 98, and not 99 though. And Hanyu already got standing ovations for his other 95+ skates.
You're math is so wrong, could you be an ISU judge? :biggrin:

Barb

Record Breaker
Patrick about skycam :laugh:, may be he should contact the event organizers before each competition for some kind of arrange.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
There should be a deduction for inappropriate behavior occurring while the skater is in public view.

You can see him say "f*in' ???" at the very end of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgjEgnZtvuA

I don't know what the ???-word was, but I suppose it was about the suspended camera that seem to have distracted him.
As mentioned before by another poster, from a young man his age, and furthermore from an athlete who just finished his performance aka pumped with adrenaline, that's SO normal, human and actually likeable to me that he would say that.
I've been watching Formula One for the past many years, and there, people complain that the drivers have gotten increasingly "sterile and dull" because they're worried of saying something wrong, so they'd rather tell the camera some scripted, fake monotone stuff.
Figure skaters have never had that much opportunity to show their "human" side to us since we get to see their performance, and then we see them waiting for marks.
So imo, we should all think twice before blowing the whistle for someone actually opening his mouth and voicing disappointment. In a way that by all non-victorian-english standards would be considered perfectly fine. :sarcasm:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Just as I always think of Brian as "Dirty Joubert", after seeing him spit on the ice on TV... now I will always think of Patrick as "Potty Mouth Chan"...

In a way that by all non-victorian-english standards would be considered perfectly fine
That is simply not true.

Frenchie

Medalist
Just as I always think of Brian as "Dirty Joubert", after seeing him spit on the ice on TV... now I will always think of Patrick as "Potty Mouth Chan"...

That is simply not true.

I see you highlighted the one and only important word in my post. Congrats.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I see you highlighted the one and only important word in my post. Congrats.
Of course. I pointed out only the part I take issue with.

Do you not see how silly it is to say that use of the f-word is acceptable by ALL standards, except "non-victorian-english" (whatever that means)? It is NOT so widely acceptable. There is a time and a place for such language - and that was neither the time nor the place.

As for your petty "rat" insult... Welcome to my ignore list, have a nice life.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I am vastly entertained by how some of Chan's more dedicated fans seem compelled to:

1. Downplay Yuzuru Hanyu's accomplishments and talent, now that he's a clear threat, and

2. Excuse Chan's K&C behavior. Assuming he said what has been attributed to him, that's out of line, and just as we criticize skaters who storm out of the K&C, I don't see why he should be exempt.

Now, I am several years past the point where I cared about Chan's propensity for unfortunate comments, and now I mostly find him entertaining when he does it (which means I can even occasionally appreciate his skating!), but he is not perfect, he is not superior across to board to everyone, and there's no point in suggesting otherwise. There's also no point in making him some sort of horrible unsportsmanlike person, because he's not that either. He's a great skater who's not perfect on or off the ice. The end.

Congratulations to the new world record holder :)

Frenchie

Medalist
Of course. I pointed out only the part I take issue with.

Do you not see how silly it is to say that use of the f-word is acceptable by ALL standards, except "non-victorian-english" (whatever that means)? It is NOT so widely acceptable. There is a time and a place for such language - and that was neither the time nor the place.

As for your petty "rat" insult... Welcome to my ignore list, have a nice life.

I am deeply offended by your hurtful, ignorant and - oh so possibly war-inducing words, and I will immediately seek my local law enforcement official to enquire what steps can be taken to ensure this may never happen again in the history of humankind. I might just possibly need therapy for the remainder of my life. Do you realize just what you've done?
Diggidy.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
I am vastly entertained by how some of Chan's more dedicated fans seem compelled to:

1. Downplay Yuzuru Hanyu's accomplishments and talent, now that he's a clear threat, and

NMURA is not a Chan fan. :)
And I think Chan fans are classy for Hanyu's score(though being WR).

treeloving

Medalist
That's just 98, and not 99 though. And Hanyu already got standing ovations for his other 95+ skates.
You're math is so wrong, could you be an ISU judge? :biggrin:

Another +1 for being adorable then! ;)

NMURA is not a Chan fan. :)
And I think Chan fans are classy for Hanyu's score(though being WR).

I don't think Buttercup means just for this thread, Yuzuru bashing by certain posters has been a normal circumstance here for a while..........

(But I as a fan of Yuzu, also think his score here is a bit too high as well :biggrin:)

NMURA

Medalist
Chan couldn't escape the jinx of skating in Japan, plus he's too weak mentally.
I wonder what happened if he skated after Hanyu at TEB (SP).